Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Differences between Ghost Story version (Astaire, 1981)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Differences between Ghost Story version (Astaire, 1981)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-05, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts
Differences between Ghost Story versions? (Astaire, 1981)

Has anyone had a chance to compare the 2 versions of Ghost Story, with Fred Astaire, that are available? The OOP version was released in 2000, while the current version was released in 2004. Are either anamorphic? Any additional info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by andicus; 06-07-05 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-13-05, 10:58 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't believe the new release is anamorphic nor do I believe that the disc is any different from the original pressing. I think it's just new cover art and nothing more than a re-release of an out of print flick.

Great movie though, I loved this one as a kid. Sadly, it needs a new dvd version.
Old 06-14-05, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Crow331
I don't believe the new release is anamorphic nor do I believe that the disc is any different from the original pressing. I think it's just new cover art and nothing more than a re-release of an out of print flick.
No, the Universal re-release is anamorphic--a new, better transfer.
Old 06-14-05, 08:24 AM
Suspended

Where do you see that? In reading the most recent reviews of the disc at Amazon, no one that I saw indicates it's a new transfer. Can you show me where you read that because if it's new I'll pick it up
Old 06-14-05, 08:44 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Crow331, check your own backyard:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=12395
Old 06-14-05, 09:00 AM

Well, I've got both versions (love this film!) and the re-release is definately a better transfer.The sound is a bit less murky as well (although sadly, there's no stereo or 5.1 remix)
For such and interesting (although flawed) film such as this, its a real shame that this is a bare-bones release as there was a wealth of footage that was dumped when the film was re-worked from the original concept. In particular the vison of the ghost with the mouth for a face that actually turned up in one of the sequences of the House On Haunted Hill remake.
Also, considering the distinguished cast, its a sin that there's nothing extra.
Old 06-14-05, 09:42 AM
Suspended

OK Thanks! I didn't even realize this had been re-released until I saw this post yesterday. I guess I gotta do some more checking around in the future.

I'm on my way to Best Buy this morning to pick it up!
Old 06-14-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I also have the origional release and didn't know about the new one that according to you guy's is better. I will look into getting the newer copy, i'm also a big fan of this movie. This is one of those movies that I picked up instantly the moment I saw it displayed years ago.