Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Eraserhead now available at your local store. Lynch news.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Eraserhead now available at your local store. Lynch news.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jbnugent
my pricing was wrong... $50 and a buggering. STILL A BARGAIN!
If you want to hit it....
Old 06-14-05, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man, sarcasm is a hard sell here...
Old 06-15-05, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jbnugent
man, sarcasm is a hard sell here...
That's not it...I was joking as well...I think it's just that we forgot about the original post you were referring to. Maybe if you quoted it in your reply, it would have helped.
Old 06-15-05, 03:32 PM

my apologies Calhoun. You are correct- the referenced quote should have been mentioned.

Regarding your reply: As a straight man, no- I wouldn't want to "hit it". However, as a deranged Lynch fan, if getting the proverbial prostate exam from "The Man" himself were the price of admission, I'd be accommodating.

Or I suppose I could just Netflix it. Not quite as messy a proposition.

I may require professional help.
Old 06-24-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

anyone found places that are goingto carry this yet
Old 07-06-05, 10:42 AM

July 1st has come and gone.....
Has anyone had any luck finding this anywhere???
Old 07-14-05, 08:47 PM

So, does anyone know of any e-tailers stocking this DVD yet?
I sure hope they do, as it's probably the only way I'll be able to buy it. It's way to expensive to import to Australia from dl.com
Old 07-14-05, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

no luck here...

ingram hasn't picked it up yet...and that is a sad thing
Old 09-21-05, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, long time no hear from this post, and I have been holding off on buying the DVD set from DL.com pending news of a cheaper price in stores. So what's the deal?
Old 09-21-05, 03:47 PM
Cool New Member

Sorry, but as a die-hard Lynch-o-phile, I feel compelled to throw in my two-and-a-half cents here...

So much whining! If ERASERHEAD is not worth the asking price to you, then just don't buy it (as others have pointed out here, you can rent it from Netflix). I doubt that Mr. Lynch will lose any sleep over it. Besides - have you never bought a Japanese import dvd? The price rivals that of ERASERHEAD.

Both ERASERHEAD and Lynch's SHORT FILMS are "collector's items", and have both been meticulously transferred to dvd at great expense over a VERY long time. This was done under the direct supervision of Mr. Lynch by hand-picked professionals actually working FOR David Lynch. This was not done by a studio with a bazillion other special edition dvds to crank out. The ERASERHEAD dvd is what Lynch fans have been wanting for many years. Even though many of us do not have much disposable income, we were willing to go without one or two "conventional" dvds to pay for ERASERHEAD.

If you think that Lynch is getting rich off sales of ERASERHEAD, you're just plain nuts.

As for the complaints about the dvd "case", this is a case of pure laziness. How difficult is it to download your own graphic and make your own dvd jacket that fits nicely on your shelf? Not very difficult at all. Besides, after you accumulate as many dvds as I have, displaying them on a shelf in their cases is an impossibility (I had to transition my collection to extra-large cd wallets a LONG time ago).

Anyone is free to bitch up a storm about pricing or packaging, but it just seems downright pointless to me. I am one of the many who appreciate special packaging (I'm also double-dipping for the EVIL DEAD II: BOOK OF THE DEAD with the "screaming" eyeball!), and I had a similar reaction to people kvetching about THE SIMPSONS: SEASON 6 packaging... I mean, c'mon! It's Homer's HEAD! Talk about a neat collector's item. Plus - Fox Video even enclosed an offer to order a "standard" dvd case for the set for the price of S&H. But hey - if spouting off about makes ya feel better, then - by all means - spout away!

Eric
Old 09-21-05, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by EricBill
Sorry, but as a die-hard Lynch-o-phile, I feel compelled to throw in my two-and-a-half cents here...

So much whining! If ERASERHEAD is not worth the asking price to you, then just don't buy it (as others have pointed out here, you can rent it from Netflix). I doubt that Mr. Lynch will lose any sleep over it. Besides - have you never bought a Japanese import dvd? The price rivals that of ERASERHEAD.

Both ERASERHEAD and Lynch's SHORT FILMS are "collector's items", and have both been meticulously transferred to dvd at great expense over a VERY long time. This was done under the direct supervision of Mr. Lynch by hand-picked professionals actually working FOR David Lynch. This was not done by a studio with a bazillion other special edition dvds to crank out. The ERASERHEAD dvd is what Lynch fans have been wanting for many years. Even though many of us do not have much disposable income, we were willing to go without one or two "conventional" dvds to pay for ERASERHEAD.

If you think that Lynch is getting rich off sales of ERASERHEAD, you're just plain nuts.

As for the complaints about the dvd "case", this is a case of pure laziness. How difficult is it to download your own graphic and make your own dvd jacket that fits nicely on your shelf? Not very difficult at all. Besides, after you accumulate as many dvds as I have, displaying them on a shelf in their cases is an impossibility (I had to transition my collection to extra-large cd wallets a LONG time ago).

Anyone is free to bitch up a storm about pricing or packaging, but it just seems downright pointless to me. I am one of the many who appreciate special packaging (I'm also double-dipping for the EVIL DEAD II: BOOK OF THE DEAD with the "screaming" eyeball!), and I had a similar reaction to people kvetching about THE SIMPSONS: SEASON 6 packaging... I mean, c'mon! It's Homer's HEAD! Talk about a neat collector's item. Plus - Fox Video even enclosed an offer to order a "standard" dvd case for the set for the price of S&H. But hey - if spouting off about makes ya feel better, then - by all means - spout away!

Eric
5 paragraphs, 3 months late, with absolutely nothing that hasn't already been said. Nice post.

-JP
Old 09-22-05, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slowcloud
OK, long time no hear from this post, and I have been holding off on buying the DVD set from DL.com pending news of a cheaper price in stores. So what's the deal?
oddly enough I have seen it no where. None of the major e-tailers have it, and ingram distribution does not stock it, which knocks out serveral specialty shops...no news...might have to just throw out your eighty bucks
Old 09-22-05, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
oddly enough I have seen it no where. None of the major e-tailers have it, and ingram distribution does not stock it, which knocks out serveral specialty shops...no news...might have to just throw out your eighty bucks
Thanks for the useful information, Cameron, as useful as it can be at least considering the lack of developments. I still have a long list of titles I want to get and watch to tide me over in the meantime, but I just hate being left in limbo like this (wow, deja vu, I think I posted the same thing in the Lynch Dune Universal re-release post).

Last edited by slowcloud; 09-22-05 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-22-05, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would like to buy a copy but he's priced it out consideration for me.
Old 09-22-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

diabolikdvd.com currently has the disc in stock for $44.99. That's not exactly cheap, but they might be faster than ordering directly from David Lynch's web site.
Old 11-10-05, 01:43 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

NETFlix has had the official Lynch disc as of July...

Last edited by Seashellz; 11-10-05 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-10-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

*sigh* I still want to see this on Deep Discount DVD. I bet they would sell it for less than $40.
Old 11-10-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

*sigh* I still want to see this on Deep Discount DVD. I bet they would sell it for less than $40.
i was waiting for that too. Seems like no major e-tailers have distribution with that company...I think i may just grab it off the site finally...i want the big box.
Old 11-10-05, 04:15 PM

So, what is the 'all region' one currently available on Amazon?

Link

Is it worth buying?
Old 11-10-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
I think i may just grab it off the site finally...i want the big box.
You know what, Cameron? I'm almost there. I decided since I have only $180 on my CC right now (I pay of the card every month) I have lots of playroom. I've also been keeping track of my budget on the DVD spending tab sticky and I am actually making a profit of near $400 so why not? I'm also interested in the short films DVD, so I chose the 2 DVD bundle. It's in my cart and the total after ground shipping is $86.80, so right now I'm like 'OUCH!' But it would be the only way to save some money on the shorts as well... Nah, let me hold off until December. Let's give it one more month. I won't have time to watch now anyway because of schoolwork. I'll wait! (so that's my stream of consciousness post on it).
Old 11-10-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Roy Batty
So, what is the 'all region' one currently available on Amazon?

Link

Is it worth buying?
Oh, that's a boot. The picture and sound on that won't be nearly as good as Lynch's very own release, which he spent over a year tweeking for DVD, plus his DVD has an hour-long making-of unavailable anywhere else. Don't feed the bootleggers!
Old 11-10-05, 04:42 PM

Don't feed the bootleggers!
Geesh, maybe you shouldn't jump to conclusions and report them as facts. That looks like a legit version to me. Just because it's not a US release doesn't make it a bootleg. That image looks like the UK (region 2 PAL) release to me. The UK disc is far from the great quality of Lynch's restored version though...I'm just arguing that that amazon listing isn't for a bootleg. The definitive version on DVD is definitely Lynch's version. The UK disc has some problems with compression artifacts and a poor contrast level. It uses the same remastered soundtrack that the Japanese version uses.
Old 11-10-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I agree, though the one pictured in that Amazon link is actually the South Korea release (CJ Entertainment). Compare the photos here: http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...d&x=0&y=0&rg=A

-JP
Old 11-10-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
I agree, though the one pictured in that Amazon link is actually the South Korea release (CJ Entertainment). Compare the photos here: http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...d&x=0&y=0&rg=A

-JP
Indeed, that "all region" crap version of Eraserhead on sale at Amazon is not the U.K. R2 release (nothing even says it is). It's a common dirt cheap release from Korea. So no, it's probably not a boot, but an import. If you really want it, it's all over eBay for cheaper, I believe. Still the only official "Lynch" approved release is on DL.com. No other DVD has that transfer and those extras, hence the premium price.
Old 11-10-05, 05:58 PM

Yeah, I have the Korean R0 version of 'Mulholland Drive', which contains chapter stops, interviews, etc. Not a bootleg, but a distinctly different version from the R1 released here.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.