DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Is Lost Highway out of print? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/425339-lost-highway-out-print.html)

junkie 06-03-05 03:14 PM

Is Lost Highway out of print?

I am trying to find a copy of Lost Highway but everywhere is sold out of it. Is it oop?

RyoHazuki 06-03-05 03:22 PM

There hasnt been an official R1 release of the film.

Do you have a region free dvd player?

clappj 06-03-05 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
There hasnt been an official R1 release of the film.

Do you have a region free dvd player?

Not quite true.
There's a Canadian R1 release, but I don't recommend it.
It's Fullscreen, and looks like ass!

garmonbozia 06-03-05 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by junkie
I am trying to find a copy of Lost Highway but everywhere is sold out of it. Is it oop?

i'm not sure about other versions, but if you are talking about the UK R2 disc...it has recently disappeared from all the retailers that I usually check, so I assume that it has gone out of print.

as mentioned above, there is a Canadian R1 disc that I have never bothered to get because it is pna&scan......something that should NEVER be done to Lost Highway. Even the vhs I used to own was widescreen!

Cygnet74 06-03-05 05:33 PM

i own a R2 german release that's pretty good -- at the time it was the only release with a 5.1 mix. don't know if that's still the case.

DVD Smurf 06-03-05 11:30 PM

There is also an Australian version, which I thought was ok.

*RG3* 06-04-05 08:21 AM

Besides the Canadian R1 being pan & scan the sound is absolutely atrocious! When you turn up the volume there is a lot of hissing that could be heard.

JLyon1515 06-04-05 09:07 AM

Best to wait for a US release. Lynch has had the remastering done for years...just have to wait for it to come out.

dvd_luver 06-04-05 11:07 PM

Lost Highway is not on region 1 or ever has been. K-mart right now has that Pan and Scan release from Canada in their $4.99 el-cheapo dvd bin. Really, if you do not want to cough up the dough on a region 2 or region 4 release, for $4 bucks buy at your own risk.

Lost Highway, along with 1492: Conquest Of Paradise, is one of the 1990's best films (IMO) not to see the light of day on dvd in region 1. It's criminal to say the least, that these have not been released in any kind of way, with all these special edition's coming out, these are two films very, very worthy of a dvd release already.

djtoell 06-04-05 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by dvd_luver
Lost Highway is not on region 1 or ever has been. K-mart right now has that Pan and Scan release from Canada in their $4.99 el-cheapo dvd bin.

Psst...Canada is in Region 1.

DJ

junkie 06-05-05 12:07 AM

I do have a region free dvd player, but I was sure I used to see this movie at Best Buy. Maybe I will just wait for Lynch to release a good version of it

JLyon1515 06-05-05 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by junkie
Maybe I will just wait for Lynch to release a good version of it

Well Lynch has done his part. It's not up to him anymore. He doesn't own the rights. The studio is who you should be waiting for.

dvd_luver 06-05-05 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by JLyon1515
Well Lynch has done his part. It's not up to him anymore. He doesn't own the rights. The studio is who you should be waiting for.

That is scary, you always think the director is holding it back, but when it may in fact be the studio, it's all enough to make you want to spit fire at them for being ridiculous.

bis22 06-07-05 12:25 PM

Is there any sign at all of a proper R1 version being released by the end of the year?

Egon's Ghost 06-07-05 02:24 PM

Does anyone know who owns the rights? Considering how long it took for Wild at Heart to come out, I'm not surprised it's taking so bloody long.

Dan 07-19-05 08:52 PM

not really an update at all, but...

it's disturbing to me how well the travesty known as the "canadian R1 Lost Highway" DVD is selling. Don't get me wrong, it's not at the top of the charts or anything, but a "fair" number of copies sell each month in the store I work at (maybe 4, but that's 48 per year... in one store.) What bothers me about this is that I'd say 95% (or more) of the people buying that disc will probably NOT double-dip when a proper 2.35:1 DVD is released. Every week that passes, there's just that many more people who won't bother with the OAR disc upon release. It's obvious that David Lynch doesn't have full control over the release of this film or I think it'd be out by now, but he's GOT to have at least a little bit of influence on the people who DO have control. All of the rest of his films have received great R1 releases (exceptions being Dune, but that's "coming" and Mulholland Dr., but I'm 100% happy with that disc myself). I'd like to think that he's trying to get this one released, but something's holding it back.

I just want to cry myself to sleep.

Dan 07-19-05 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Smurf
There is also an Australian version, which I thought was ok.

I finally watched my australian disc a couple weeks ago and, honestly, it's disappointing. I was told it was "the best transfer available", but I still think my WS VHS is better. The image "skips" a bit here and there with no alteration in the sound (at least on my Pioneer DVD Player converting the PAL to NTSC, but it does my R2 Donnie Darko: DC with no problems), and no one thought to get rid of the cigarette burns during the transferring process, so you see those for every "reel" change.

I just REALLY want an R1 release already. :(

mikewendt 07-20-05 12:10 AM

This has been on my must list since I first saw it... What's taking so long?

Skoobooz 07-20-05 08:38 AM

With David Lynch films, it seems best not to ask. There's generally either a problem with the elements or with politics. Since Lost Highway was from 1997, it seems more likely to be studio politics. Maybe they're waiting to tie it in with Lynch's new film (Inland Empire, correct?).

dvd_luver 07-20-05 10:20 AM

not to universal studios, I will shout this:
U N I V E R S A L -- R E L E A S E -- L O S T H I G H W A Y on dvd
RIGHT F#@KING NOW!

NOW!

this is so long overdue on dvd it is criminal

animatedude 07-20-05 01:02 PM

lost highway UK R2 special edition!

garmonbozia 07-20-05 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by animatedude

great news.......i just recently got a region free player and Lost Highway was one of the first things i had wanted to get, only to find out that suddenly the R2 UK had gone out of print.......and with reports of how awful the Australian disc was, I almost panicked and got the Benelux edition. now, i'll just wait and get this R2 special edition in November as long as an R1 is not announced before then.