Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Harper Valley PTA question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Harper Valley PTA question

Was Harper Valley PTA a theatrical release or a made for TV movie? I was just wondering because the DVD is presented in widescreen like it is a theatrical release but it just feels like a made for TV movie, complete with freeze frames after certain scenes as if to cue for a commercial break. So either I got a TV movie with the top and bottom lopped off to make it look widescreen, or I got a theatrical movie edited for TV. I suppose it could be that it was just made that way for a theatrical release, but it does seem edited if it was a theatrical release.
Old 05-31-05, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to IMDB, it was a theatrical release. I remember they later made a TV series out of the original movie.
Old 05-31-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Definitely a theatrical release. I saw it in high school at the drive-in.
Old 05-31-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Definitely a theatrical release. I saw it in high school at the drive-in.
Did it have anything in it that would be edited out of a TV airing? There is no nudity or swearing in the movie at all, though it does seem it would fit into a few scenes.

And did it have those freeze frame moments after Barbara Eden punked the PTA members?
Old 05-31-05, 03:48 PM

I remember it being pretty tame when I was a kid. I noticed stuff like that back then and I don't remember that movie being very bad. I think it was a PG for some of the suggestive stuff.
Old 05-31-05, 08:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I didn't see it in theaters, but I did see it on broadcast TV and there was one brief nude scene. It was not in the NBC airing, but our local Fox affiliate had a more lenient print. When Barbara Eden (or was it Nanette Fabray?) kicks John Fiedler out of the hotel room, you briefly see his bare backside, (he soon covers himself with a fire hose).

Last edited by digidoh; 05-31-05 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-01-05, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by digidoh
I didn't see it in theaters, but I did see it on broadcast TV and there was one brief nude scene. It was not in the NBC airing, but our local Fox affiliate had a more lenient print. When Barbara Eden (or was it Nanette Fabray?) kicks John Fiedler out of the hotel room, you briefly see his bare backside, (he soon covers himself with a fire hose).
I never think of male nudity from the back as out right nudity. But I can see why they wouldn't want to air that on TV 20-30 years ago. And some might not even air it today!
Old 06-02-05, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw it at the drive-in too.

When NBC aired the film shortly after, the ratings were huge and a series version followed, also starring Barbara Eden and much of the cast from the film.

After half a season, the series was retooled and the title was changed to just "Harper Valley". It didn't last very long (about 30 shows total). TV Land shows the reruns once in a while.