DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Day of the Triffids DVD-different cover?

Old 05-22-05, 11:31 PM

Day of the Triffids DVD-different cover?

There are 2 DVD versions of the movie that i know of. The Allied one has a cover with a cheesy color picture on a black background, and there's another company that has it out with a color pic against a sky blue background. I've heard these are both pretty bad pressings. Then there's a more recent BBC TV version which has a color picture on the cover.

Today as I was going into a shop that sells used, a guy was leaving with a Triffids DVD with a cover was basically a sort of blue monochrome picture with against a dark blue backgound with white lettering. He was in a hurry and didn't seem interested in letting me get more info....anyone know what this was ? Looked like a budget pressing or maybe an old OOP version. I'm hoping maybe it's a new budget pressing of some kind and I can find another one.
Old 05-23-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The R2 DVDs of the movie version with Howard Keel are ported over from the old Image Laserdisc version.

The new BBC release isn't the movie but the excellent 1981 TV serial.
Old 05-23-05, 03:40 PM

Well this was region 1. I didn't get a close enough look to tell for sure, but I don't think it was the TV version, I know that cover too.
Old 05-23-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The film is in the public domain, so there are several U.S. R1 versions. All of them are pretty crappy, AFAIK.

I have the R2 widescreen DVD which is OK... not great, but watchable.