Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Ben-Hur 4-disc Collector's Edition

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-05, 08:10 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by baracine
If I had a girlfriend who liked this movie, I would have willingly left her on the curb in front of the multiplex...
Sounds like getting laid though might lighten you up a bit.
Old 09-21-05, 09:56 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Sounds like getting laid though might lighten you up a bit.
Thanks for the free medical advice, Professor, but it's my experience that guys who like "Gladiator" a lot mostly get their jollies from watching all-male wrestling on the late show.

"Do you like gladiator movies, Joey?"

Last edited by baracine; 09-21-05 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-21-05, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
... the worst child actor in cinema history...
I don't have time to argue against all your points, but I have to chime in on this one - didn't you happen to see Star Wars: Phantom Menance?? Nuff said.
Old 09-21-05, 10:54 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by masetodd
I don't have time to argue against all your points, but I have to chime in on this one - didn't you happen to see Star Wars: Phantom Menance?? Nuff said.
Was Spencer Treat Clark in that movie too?!
Old 09-21-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked Gladiator Solid entertainment.
Old 09-21-05, 12:11 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by grim_tales
I liked Gladiator Solid entertainment.

"Have you ever seen a grown man naked, Joey?"

Last edited by baracine; 09-21-05 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-21-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whats the problem with that?
Where's the reply to what I wrote? That picture?
I havent seen Ben Hur so I cant comment (though I would like to see it)
Old 09-21-05, 12:25 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by grim_tales
Whats the problem with that?
Where's the reply to what I wrote? That picture?
I havent seen Ben Hur so I cant comment (though I would like to see it)
Not to get too far off-track: This was a reference to a few lines from the 1980 comedy film "Airplane", spoken by Capt. Oveur (Peter Graves): http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0080339/quotes.

Capt. Oveur happened to like gladiator movies and little boys, not necessarily in that order.

See also:
http://www.gotwavs.com/cgi-bin/mp3s....rplane=ap5.mp3

If you've never seen either "Airplane" or "Ben-Hur", I'm sure you love "Gladiator".

Last edited by baracine; 09-21-05 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-21-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks I've never seen Airplane either actually I'll rent it one day (is it on R2 in England? Not sure).
Old 09-21-05, 01:52 PM

How can someone who likes Airplane hate Gladiator? (maybe it's a French-Canadian thing) Airplane is certainly a funny movie, but it's no Ben Hur. You need to come down from you high horse dude.
Old 09-21-05, 02:43 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by brandybran
How can someone who likes Airplane hate Gladiator? (maybe it's a French-Canadian thing) Airplane is certainly a funny movie, but it's no Ben Hur. You need to come down from you high horse dude.
The implication is that if a film-goer hasn't seen anything, "Airplane" or "Ben-Hur", he or she is more likely to like "Gladiator". I will refer you to DVD Savant's review of "Gladiator" and will leave it at that. Remember, this thread is about "Ben-Hur" the 4-disc DVD edition?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s119gladiateher.html

(It's called, coincidentally: "So, Timmy, Do You Like Movies with Gladiators?")
Old 09-21-05, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by brandybran
They're two completely different movies. I love Airplane, find it hillarious. I don't like (but don't hate) Gladiator, found it boring.

I have to admit, Ben-Hur is one of those movies i'm emberassed to say I haven't seen. Based on the popularity of the movie, and my interest in Spartacus and other epics I kind of want to blind-buy this.

Last edited by The Ferret; 09-21-05 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-21-05, 05:32 PM
Suspended

Guys, I make a solemn vow: When they come up with a 4-disc Collector's Edition of "Gladiator" with a cool documentary extra about "The Gladiator Legacy" or "The Film That Changed Ancient Roman History Forever By Pushing the History-Erasing Button" with exclusive interviews with script-writers Ren Hoëk and Stimpson J. Cat, I will not trouble you with my impressions of that film, or of "Ben-Hur" or of "The Fall of the Roman Empire" for that matter.

In the meanwhile, does anyone have anything to say about the 4-disc Ben-Hur Collector's Edition?

Last edited by baracine; 09-22-05 at 06:47 AM.
Old 09-21-05, 05:34 PM
Suspended

In the meanwhile, does anyone have anything to say about the 4-disc Ben-Hur Collector's Edition?
It has one disc more than the Gladiator: Extended Edition.
Old 09-21-05, 05:35 PM
Suspended

Thanks for the free medical advice, Professor, but it's my experience that guys who like "Gladiator" a lot mostly get their jollies from watching all-male wrestling on the late show.
What sort of experience do you have in that regard?
Old 09-21-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

After your disturbing and homophobic rants about Gladiator, I think you've scared away anyone who would have had something to contribute.

DJ
Old 09-21-05, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by djtoell
After your disturbing and homophobic rants about Gladiator, I think you've scared away anyone who would have had something to contribute.

DJ
Yeah, I think this thread is just about as good as dead.

I'm still curious if the 4-disc set is worth buying to replace the old flipper. Obviously the quality is better but is the 1925 version worth watching? I'm reluctant to spend $25-30 on a double-dip that I will probably only watch 1 or 2 times (having already seen the old flipper plus TV broadcasts and Ben Hur is not a quick movie to watch at 3 hr 42min). Also, does anyone have any thoughts on the aspect ratio changes. It looks like they kept is the same (2.74 vs 2.76:1) but appear to have zoomed out a tad so we get more image information on the screen. Getting more image should make the epic even more epic.
Old 09-22-05, 06:41 AM
Suspended

Congratulations, calhokie, you appear to be the first contributor in a long time who has actually seen "Ben-Hur" and cares about the subject of this thread.

I'm still curious if the 4-disc set is worth buying to replace the old flipper.
It is.

Obviously the quality is better but is the 1925 version worth watching?
It's an extremely fine film, even more spectacular in some respects. The naval battle was not done with miniatures, but with real ships and real people.

I'm reluctant to spend $25-30 on a double-dip that I will probably only watch 1 or 2 times (having already seen the old flipper plus TV broadcasts and Ben Hur is not a quick movie to watch at 3 hr 42min).
Yes, but it's the definitive edition and doesn't sacrifice any of the extras of the previous version. Its new extras are quite educational, even if they pay hommage to "Gladiator" in passing.

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on the aspect ratio changes. It looks like they kept is the same (2.74 vs 2.76:1) but appear to have zoomed out a tad so we get more image information on the screen. Getting more image should make the epic even more epic.
Correct. The bitrate has also been upped to compensate for the fact that the characters on the screen are actually smaller. The colour has been improved. The 5.1 sound is in directional multi-channel instead of just Dolby Surround masquerading as 5.1 and the film appears absolutely scratch-free.

Last edited by baracine; 09-22-05 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-22-05, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wanted to add my 2c and say WOW this movie looks spectacular. Definitely a must have if you're a Ben Hur fan.
Old 09-22-05, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by calhokie
I'm reluctant to spend $25-30 on a double-dip that I will probably only watch 1 or 2 times..
I'm also wondering about the re-watchability factor (most important factor when buying a DVD for me). I'm sure i'll love the movie but would I want to watch it more than 2x a year?

I guess I only watch Lawrence of Arabia LE 1-2x a year but it's possibly my favourite movie so...
Old 09-22-05, 03:58 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Ferret
I'm also wondering about the re-watchability factor (most important factor when buying a DVD for me). I'm sure i'll love the movie but would I want to watch it more than 2x a year?

I guess I only watch Lawrence of Arabia LE 1-2x a year but it's possibly my favourite movie so...
It's worth buying even if you watch it only once. Do like I do: Give your old copy as a present for Christmas, preferably to someone who doesn't know about the new 4-disc edition but would be pleased to see the film.
Old 09-23-05, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Old 09-23-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Im not a huge Ben-Hur fan and I own the old flipper. BUT, I AM a fan of wonderful films and I love it when studios do things right. So, I rewarded them for this great set by opening my wallet.

Its a fine addition to my collection.
Old 09-23-05, 07:05 PM

I've been waiting for ages to own thr 1925 version of Ben-Hur. I just wish the 1925 version had some extras other than the new score.
Old 09-23-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Onizuka
I've been waiting for ages to own thr 1925 version of Ben-Hur. I just wish the 1925 version had some extras other than the new score.
Well, nearly half of the 1994 making-of documentary covers the silent version, as well as the original book and play. I would have liked a commentary, though. There's a great section of Kevin Brownlow's book "The Parade's Gone By" on the silent version that's worth reading.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.