The Simpsons - Season 6 - August 16th, 2005

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Simpsons - Season 6 - August 16th, 2005

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-05, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't say I'm impressed with the new packaging. Hopefully they'll not have this case for the Region 2 release (Not released till September over here)
Old 06-28-05, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by cardaway
Forget about ordering this online and receiving it in perfect condition. It looks like it would be easily dented and no way the online retailers will have the packaging to keep it dent free. In fact it may be one of those releases where it's hard to find a perfect set in a B&M as well.

Unless they announce a stadard set to go along with this more "deluxe" one, I'll be waiting for it to get real cheap or for them to realize just how dumb this idea was. Looks like something that is going to be a nightmare for B&M's to display, keep in good condition, and be taken seriously by anybody who didn't read about before hand at a site like this one.
I was thinking the same thing. These things will be all dented to hell. I'm sure the retailers will be thrilled by the lack of titling along the spine, they'll have to display it front out.

This is an awful idea.
Old 06-28-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by mzupeman2
And besides, we still don't know if a traditional Simpsons style box is going to be inside that head or not. So let's wait on some more details.
It won't. Gord from tvshowsondvd has been told it is the same dimensions as the previous sets. Which means we won't be getting the same type of booklet either, since I don't see how it could fit.
Old 06-28-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well it's obviously not the same dimensions because of homers rounded head, but if the plastic casing is just a shell (as you can see the rectangular shape like a box may be inside on the homer case), perhaps a box simply fitting in there will be there.... as the same style as prior versions. Perhaps you're right but until I see anything official I'm not counting my chickens yet.
Old 06-29-05, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
Or inform Fox how cool the head looks
Hells yeah
Old 06-29-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First of all, Gord Lacey of TV Shows On DVD.com has posted over at the HTF stating that he's spoken with Fox, and they've informed him that a) the Homer-head is the same size as a regular case, height-wise, and b) there is no inner box. Apparently, this is it.

But secondly, has anyone received any specs for this yet? With about a month and a half before its release date, it seems slightly odd that no feature specs have been announced. Not that I'm suggesting that there will be no special features...I'm just curious as to what they will be, and when they'll be announced. Hopefully, they will be similar to previous sets, including commentaries (love them or hate them, but I personally enjoy them).
Old 06-29-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
I hope that the special feature on the future Simpsons set included the segment from Inside Actors Studio where James Lipton interview the voice casts of the tv hit show. IMHO it was one the best of the segment.
Old 07-01-05, 12:54 AM

Could someone ask Fox where the UPC code for Season 6 will be found? I've got to find that out before it ships from Coconuts because I don't want to mangle my box or booklet (assuming there even is one) to get my $10 rebate.
Old 07-04-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Apparently, the BBFC has recently classified several of the extras for Season Six. Looks like commentaries, deleted scenes, featurettes, the usual (which is good, in my opinion). How many of each seems yet to be fully determined, unless someone can filter through the BBFC results.

www.bbfc.co.uk

But good news anyway.
Old 07-05-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really like the packaging...I wish they would have started it this way from the start - not just for continuity, but just so we could get more "heads" in the collection.
Old 07-05-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
You've got to be kidding me with that packaging. Yeah, it looks cool, but I'd rather have consistency.

Too bad they couldn't have either started it this way or waited until after S8 (the last season I will buy) to change things up.
Old 07-05-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Too bad they couldn't have either started it this way or waited until after S8 (the last season I will buy) to change things up.
Because the universe revolves around Red Dog apparently.
Old 07-06-05, 07:11 PM
Cool New Member

I'll just buy a four disc case and hope someone prints up some nice "proper" cover art I can slip in there.
Old 07-07-05, 03:29 AM
Banned

I'm not crazy about them deciding to switch packages mid-series. Casual Simpsons fans will love this, having a novelty boxset, and hardcore collectors of DVD will be annoyed by the change in size, shape, damage potential, and overall look.

I'd rather have them stayed consistant, but I still am going to purchase it. I already plan to keep the 5 boxsets together in one part of my collection, and seperate them completely from future boxsets designed as heads.

As for as shelf storage, I just dread heads that will be strangely shaped and hard to fit along side boxsets, such as the spikes of Lisa and Maggie, the height of Marge, and the roundness of Mr Burns.
Old 07-13-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From TVShowsOnDVD.com:

"Fox has released some more details on the sixth season of The Simpsons. The video will be Full Frame (1.33:1), while the audio will include an English Dolby Digital 5.1 track, and a French/Spanish Dolby Surround. Subtitles will be available in English, French and Spanish. You can pick it up for $49.98 US or $69.98 CAN on August 16. All 25 episodes will be included; 525 mins of entertainment. We have detailed information for the first two discs, and spotty info for discs 3 and 4:

Disc 1:

1. Bart of Darkness
* Deleted Scenes: Dr. Hibbert discusses getting a waterproof cast with Bart and Homer, Extension of kids trying to get Lisa's attention in the pool, Homer is caught with the chlorine canister, Bart illustrates his view of the murder of Maude through pictures
2. Lisa's Rival
* Commentary on Lisa's Rival by Matt Groening, David Mirkin, Mike Scully, Dan Castellaneta, Yeardley Smith, Mark Kirkland
3. Another Simpsons Clip Show
* Commentary on Another Simpsons Clip Show by Matt Groening, David Mirkin, David Silverman
4. Itchy and Scratchy Land
* Deleted Scenes: Homer fighting for a kid's popsicle, Bart steps on Itchy's foot and says, "You've got your job, I've got mine," Homer and Bart in jail. Homer says, "I kicked Itchy in the butt because of their attitude," Lisa fights the robots while Homer freaks out about a lie
* Commentary on Itchy and Scratchy Land by Matt Groening, David Mirkin, Dan Castellaneta, Yeardley Smith, Wes Archer
5. Sideshow Bob Roberts
* Deleted Scene: Sideshow Bob in court says,"You crave Al Gore but want Reagan"
6. Treehouse of Horror V
* Deleted Scenes: Bart skateboards down a scary hallway, Homer tries to figure out why his house is being taken away, Kane and Kodo laugh at Homer's notion of going back in time and changing the world,& Skinner talks with Lunchlady Doris about soup spilled on a student
7. Bart's Girlfriend
* Commentary on Bart's Girlfriend by Matt Groening, David Mirkin, David Silverman, Jonathan Collier, Susie Dietter, Julie Kavner

Disc 2:

1. Lisa on Ice
* Commentary on Lisa on Ice by Matt Groening, David Mirkin, Mike Scully, Bob Anderson
2. Homer: Bad Man
* Deleted Scenes: Chocolate and Peanut Butter people run into each other at the candy convention, Homer yells from window at protesters, Homer meets Sasquatch at Rock Bottom Studios
* Commentary on Homer: Bad Man by Matt Groening, David Mirkin, Greg Daniels, David Silverman, Jeffrey Lynch, Julie Kavner
3. Grampa vs. Sexual Inadequacy
* Deleted Scenes: Homer puts corks in his ears to avoid listening to Grampa, Extension of Homer & Grampa fighting in the car, Ralph explains what he saw and what is going on in Springfield
* Commentary on Grampa vs. Sexual Inadequacy by David Mirkin, Bill Oakley, Josh Weinstein, Wes Archer
4. Fear of Flying
* Deleted Scenes: Homer gets thrown out of Moe's and meets a popular kitten, Marge answers Lisa's question with a non-related answer, Bill the Pilot goes crazy and jumps off the building, Homer makes fun of Marge's phobia while she is hyperventilating on the plane, Marge wakes Homer when he vacuums with an unplugged vacuum cleaner, Marge's dream of Homer having a branch in his mouth is proven to be reality
5. Homer the Great
* Deleted Scenes: Cars back into Homer outside the Stonecutter's Club, Mr. Burns gives Homer some "extra pay", Homer helps Lenny at the candy machine, Apu reads to children at the new Stonecutter's playground, Moe discusses the idea of forming a new secret club
* Commentary on Homer the Great by Matt Groening, David Mirkin, Dan Castellaneta, Yeardley Smith
6. And Maggie Makes Three
* Deleted Scenes: Extension of Homer playing Burns' head as bongos, Lisa and Bart discuss what life will be like when Maggie's born
* Commentary on And Maggie Makes Three by Matt Groening, David Mirkin, Swinton O. Scott, David Silverman
7. Bart's Comet
* Deleted Scenes: Extension of Town meeting, Kent Brockman gives an alternate description of the rocket missing the comet, Bart checks out bomb shelter and gets a "censored" Ranger Rick by Ned; Old folks extended
* Commentary on Bart's Comet by Matt Groening, David Mirkin, Dan Castellaneta, Yeardley Smith, Bob Anderson

Disc 3:

1. Homie the Clown
2. Bart vs. Australia
3. Homer vs. Patty and Selma
4. A Star is Burns
5. Lisa's Wedding
6. Two Dozen and One Greyhounds
7. The PTA Disbands
* Commentary tracks for episodes

Disc 4:

1. Round Springfield
2. The Springfield Connection
3. Lemon of Troy
4. Who Shot Mr. Burns
* Commentary tracks for episodes

Other Extras include:

* Animation Showcase for "Itchy and Scratchy Land"
* A Confession from Matt Groening"

Interesting...there don't seem to be commentaries for each epsode. However, I see this as a good thing, as now they can specifically discuss episodes that they feel are "worth" discussing. Perhaps the "Confession From Matt Groening" is that they got tired of doing commentary on every episode.

Still, good specs...I look forward to this.
Old 07-13-05, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
Interesting...there don't seem to be commentaries for each epsode. However, I see this as a good thing, as now they can specifically discuss episodes that they feel are "worth" discussing. Perhaps the "Confession From Matt Groening" is that they got tired of doing commentary on every episode.
I don't think it makes sense that the only commentaries would be across the first two disc.
Old 07-13-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
I don't think it makes sense that the only commentaries would be across the first two disc.
No, there are commentaries spread over each disc, but at least on this spec sheet, episodes 1, 5, and 6 on disc one, and episode 4 on disc two don't have a commentary. It could be an omission, but perhaps they just didn't do commentary for every episode. We'll see which ones have commentaries on discs three and four.
Old 07-13-05, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

didn't y'all read
We have detailed information for the first two discs, and spotty info for discs 3 and 4
..wait for more info for disc 3 and 4 before you get mad
Old 07-13-05, 11:55 PM

yes, please, this happened last year. specs were only brought in for disc one, and everyone went nuts because there was no commentaries on the other 3. it was just that there wasn't commentaries. it's simpsons set. even though this years' packaging is lame and inconsistent, it will still have the great contents
Old 07-14-05, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not getting upset at all...I'm just pointing out that there are some episodes on Discs One and Two that don't appear to have commentaries according to this listing. I understand that the specs for Discs Three and Four aren't here yet, and I never complained about them. As I said before, "We'll see which ones have commentaries on discs three and four."

And yes, this listing could be incomplete and there could be commentary on every episode, including the ones I pointed out from discs one and two. But I'm not getting upset...just pointing it out.
Old 08-01-05, 09:34 AM

Has anyone (such as a reviewer who gets advance copies) actually seen the Simpsons Season 6 package and what's inside? There seems to be some talk on the Internet that the regular style package might be inside of the big Homer's head packaging, but if that were true then given the shape there's no way this package would fit on your average DVD shelf (in other words this package would be a couple inches taller due to the curved top).

Unless someone finds out before release date, I will not feel safe preordering this. My next question is this: when Tuesday the 16th hits and it is released, will Amazon raise the $32.49 price to $37 something or will it stay at $32.49 for the first week?

Since my Coconuts $28 - $10 rebate preorder got cancelled by Coconuts (and their "customer service" which is all in India refused to help me or fix their mistake which guarantees I will never order anything from them again), I'm tempted to wait for Costco to have a $19.99 sale around Christmas... but if I wait for that what are my chances it will actually happen on Season 6?

By the way, I had looked all over the Internet for Fox's email address and couldn't find it. Does anyone know where it is?
Old 08-01-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana
Unless someone finds out before release date, I will not feel safe preordering this. My next question is this: when Tuesday the 16th hits and it is released, will Amazon raise the $32.49 price to $37 something or will it stay at $32.49 for the first week?
I'm sure the B&Ms will have this for $29.99 or less during the release week. Personally, I'm waiting to see what's inside, and if there's not a case similar to what we have for Seasons 1-5 in there, I'm not getting it right away.

I'm hoping that this plastic head crap will be a "limited edition" thing for the first few print runs, and then they'll go back to the standard cases later, because I'm guessing those are probably cheaper to produce, but I could be wrong and this is all we'll ever get.
Old 08-01-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
First of all, Gord Lacey of TV Shows On DVD.com has posted over at the HTF stating that he's spoken with Fox, and they've informed him that a) the Homer-head is the same size as a regular case, height-wise, and b) there is no inner box. Apparently, this is it.
no dice on an inner case
Old 08-04-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Photo from NoHomerClub:

Old 08-04-05, 11:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Artman
Photo from NoHomerClub:

I have to say, wow, that really really sucks!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.