DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Columbia Fullscreen DVD Re-issues

Old 07-17-18, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Columbia Fullscreen DVD Re-issues

Originally Posted by thetao View Post
It's also worth considering that Sony is still unloading old stock.
This is all I can think of too. With almost every TV set being a 16:9 HDTV nowadays, it's the only reason why.

This was "old stock" more than 10 years ago - how much of an over-run did they make on so many titles?

A 2.35:1 aspect musical like "Annie" really suffers in 4:3.
Old 07-18-18, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by ntnon View Post
Is there a widescreen MATILDA anywhere available in the world..?
According to DVDCompare, all non-US DVD's are 2.35:1. And then there are always the Blu-rays.
Old 07-18-18, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

And the laserdisc, which I bought instead of the DVD which was one of the first titles on the format.
Old 07-25-19, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
I bought "The Bear" which said included both versions on the cover, but the disc only had the Foolscreen version. I checked 2 more copies at the same store and they had the same problem. I sent the disc back to Columbia with a letter demanding they send me the correct disc, and they did so a couple weeks later along with a free movie "Gray Owl". They're still planning to do this to more titles though. Whatever they've saved in manufacturing costs has got to have been negated by the number of these that have been returned.
For what had happened to you, if anyone got a DVD that is fullscreen instead of it's original aspect ratio, then is it possible to contact the studio for a replacement disc with the right one? I mean you clearly got the correct disc after that.
Old 08-02-19, 03:29 PM
Cool New Member

I'm still finding fullscreen releases today, but always in bargain bins. I recently picked up a dual-sided MouseHunt disc with widescreen on one side and fullscreen on the opposite.

Interestingly, I noticed that the Mad Max 2-film collection (Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome) was recently bumped up from fullscreen to widescreen. The original release was a dual-sided disc with only the FS versions of the films. This release also has some basic menu elements and special features in the form of cast bios and production notes. The re-issue is a single-sided disc with only the WS versions of the films and no proper menus or features. Deceptively enough, the cover design for both releases is almost completely identical, aside from the fine print on the back detailing whether the films are in FS or WS presentation.
Old 08-07-19, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
I bought "The Bear" which said included both versions on the cover, but the disc only had the Foolscreen version. I checked 2 more copies at the same store and they had the same problem. I sent the disc back to Columbia with a letter demanding they send me the correct disc, and they did so a couple weeks later along with a free movie "Gray Owl". They're still planning to do this to more titles though. Whatever they've saved in manufacturing costs has got to have been negated by the number of these that have been returned.
Did you contact them through phone or Email? And did they give you this message:

-To better assist you regarding your purchase, please provide the following:
-Picture of the receipt.
-Picture of the screen showing the aspect ratio.
-Picture of the disc inside the open case.
-Picture of the front of the case as well as the back, showing the UPC and barcode.
-When and where the title was purchased.
-Kindly include a piece of paper with your name and email address written in each photos.

Or did they not tell you any of that?
Old 08-08-19, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by replace1234 View Post
Did you contact them through phone or Email? And did they give you this message:

-To better assist you regarding your purchase, please provide the following:
-Picture of the receipt.
-Picture of the screen showing the aspect ratio.
-Picture of the disc inside the open case.
-Picture of the front of the case as well as the back, showing the UPC and barcode.
-When and where the title was purchased.
-Kindly include a piece of paper with your name and email address written in each photos.

Or did they not tell you any of that?
That post you're quoting is from almost 15 years ago. I doubt Sony will have, or provide, fixes for any of those titles today.
Old 08-08-19, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

I sent the disc back to them with an angry letter saying how insane it was for them to drop the widescreen versions, and saying basically “You WILL send me the proper disc that I paid for.”