Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

NYTimes seeks TV on DVD watchers for interview

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-05, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYTimes seeks TV on DVD watchers for interview

Hi,

I'm writing a piece that will appear in The New York Times about the popularity of TV on DVD -- am looking for interesting/funny stories about people watching their favorite TV shows on DVD -- anyone that has parties or marathons watching whole series' on DVD, etc.

If you are interested in being interviewed, please contact me.

Thanks!
Andrea Kahn
[email protected]
Old 05-10-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Not sure if it should be worthy but my first momentous TV on dvd moment was watching 24 season 1 for the first time. Watched the final 9 episodes in a row. Cliffhanger after cliffhanger, it was just too easy to hit play on the next episode just to see what happens.

I have since lent that set to 6 other people and it always came back in less than a week. They are all hooked on the show now. I should get some commission from Fox.
Old 05-10-05, 08:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Not sure if it should be worthy but my first momentous TV on dvd moment was watching 24 season 1 for the first time. Watched the final 9 episodes in a row. Cliffhanger after cliffhanger, it was just too easy to hit play on the next episode just to see what happens.

I have since lent that set to 6 other people and it always came back in less than a week. They are all hooked on the show now. I should get some commission from Fox.
Well, same here practically. I bought the first season of 24 when Amazon had that big sale on Fox first seasons. Ended up watching it really quickly like you say.

I'm currently in the middle of Season 2. Just watched the 4th disc today. It's very easy to hit that "Play next episode" button.

Now then...as for as the New York Times, I wouldn't give two rats' ass for that rag.
Old 05-10-05, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey

I'm currently in the middle of Season 2. Just watched the 4th disc today. It's very easy to hit that "Play next episode" button.

Now then...as for as the New York Times, I wouldn't give two rats' ass for that rag.
That play next episode button is the very reason I prefer to watch this show on dvd rather than drag it out over a 5 month period. It's too painful to wait week after week to see what is going to happen next.
Old 05-10-05, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That's me also, only The Shield instead of 24. I went through the first three seasons in on time. I HAD to watch the next episode, it was too easy. I could only get myself to stop when I absolutely had to. It almost made me want to give up on watching new shows just so I can wait for the DVD set and then watch episode after episode. When I finally caught up to season four of The Shield, it was like I hit a brick wall, now having to *gasp* wait an entire week before I can see what happens next!
Old 05-10-05, 09:40 PM

When I recently visited my sister we had a big Alias marathon. We both got into Alias recently & were both starting the second season. She was sick & couldn't go to work, so we watched 9 episodes in a row. However last year when I visited we watched both seasons of Dark Angel in a week.

Last edited by Emma311; 05-10-05 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-10-05, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're a class act, Mike.
Old 05-10-05, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This thread is a hell of a good example on why TV on DVD is a great thing.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411331
Old 05-10-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was just about to point that thread out Sessa. It's the one I check daily. Can't wait till you get back to Angel.
Old 05-11-05, 04:24 AM
sdk

I did watch the first four seasons of OZ in a row without sleep. But that is nothing compared to a friend of mine who watched titanic 16 times in a row without sleep. I still don't understand how he managed. And i have watched the 24 season one in one sitting, did the same thing with season two and three as well.
Old 05-11-05, 05:20 AM

Again, Mr. Threadcrapper lurks from under his slime to haunt us. What "rags" are you into Lowrey? American Spectator? Limbaugh's News?? There seems to be a dire need to insert neg comments wherever this he goes, to either get a rise or assert some sort of negative attitude.

OP- sent you a pvt email about how my brother (a dentist) who offers TV shows on DVDs in his very modern practice. His TVonDVD sets get more rotation (by patients) than anything.

Last edited by kbjorn; 05-11-05 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-11-05, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Let the guy have his opinion. It's not like anyone at the Times is going to lose any sleep.
Old 05-11-05, 10:30 AM

As I was reading the thread I was thinking to myself how ML was easily my least favorite poster on the forums. This strengthens that point. Can we make his title "King of Threadcraps"?

Back to the original topic. My friends and I started watching The Shield at the beginning of season 2 and absolutely loved it. So one weekend we borrowed the Season 1 DVDs and watched them all the way through stopping occasionally to eat.
Old 05-11-05, 10:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kbjorn
Again, Mr. Threadcrapper lurks from under his slime to haunt us. What "rags" are you into Lowrey? American Spectator? Limbaugh's News?? Not that I have a problem with those- but even with its faults, the NYT is a class act-
Don't you mean, it used to be?

The NYT has a severe lack of balance. 11 liberal columnists to 1 conservatve one. And the fact that they let their editorials seep into their hard news pages is just more proof. That they character assassinate any one of whom they disagree with. Gee, and guess which candidate the paper backed during the '04 election.

Oh and if it's in the NYT, it must be true, right?

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 05-11-05 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-11-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The NYT has a severe lack of balance. 11 liberal columnists to 1 conservatve one. And the fact that they let their editorials seep into their hard news pages is just more proof. That they character assassinate any one of whom they disagree with. Gee, and guess which candidate the paper backed during the '04 election.

Oh and if it's in the NYT, it must be true, right?
If you want to discuss your insightful observations and evaluations of the New York Times, why don't you start a thread, rather than continually threadcrapping this discussion of TV shows on DVD?
Old 05-11-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by illennium
Let the guy have his opinion. It's not like anyone at the Times is going to lose any sleep.
Even if his opinion were 100% correct, it would still be an utterly insensitive and classless response to Andrea's post.
Old 05-11-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by marty888
If you want to discuss your insightful observations and evaluations of the New York Times, why don't you start a thread, rather than continually threadcrapping this discussion of TV shows on DVD?
Too bad we don't have a political forum where Mike's rantings would be more appropriate.

Oh, wait ... we do.
Old 05-11-05, 07:58 PM

Don't you mean, it used to be?
The NYT has a severe lack of balance...etc...more diatribe stolen from Limbaugh nonsense..
So... this post is by a NYT reporter, but if you "couldnt 'give a rats' ass [sic] about the NYT", then why even bother to comment? Only to drop a threadcrap? Everyone's allowed an opionion- it's what forums are for...but ML's consistent banal, Limbaugh rip-off posts have become truly nauseating.

Sorry mods- don't want to hijack!!
Old 05-11-05, 09:34 PM
Mod Emeritus

Mike, you know quite well that threadcrapping is against forum rules. I'd suggest that you just avoid this thread from here on out.
Old 05-11-05, 09:36 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by kbjorn
... There seems to be a dire need to insert neg comments wherever this scumbag goes, to either get a rise or assert some sort of negative attitude- either way..it's always adolescent like. ...
kbjorn, personal attacks are also against forum rules. If someone is threadcrapping, just report the post.
Old 05-11-05, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dead
kbjorn, personal attacks are also against forum rules. If someone is threadcrapping, just report the post.
Edited- saw that in the FAQ!!! Apologies.
Old 05-11-05, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well, I could offer a few tales...but I hate hogging all the space in the paper with yet another NYT gut sighting.