Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Big Bogie Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-05, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kingtopher
WB mentioned something in the chat about remastering some Bogart films for special edition releases next year. I believe they said there would be three, and two of them will almost certainly be the Big Sleep and the Maltese Falcon, both of which have decent releases, but will really benefit from remastering and special edition treatment. It will be interesting to see what the third film is. I personally would be willing to bet that it will be Key Largo, since most of the other WB Bogart flicks have been released pretty recently, and are also not quite as high-profile as that one.
Holy crap that just made my day.

Having remastered special editions of The Big Sleep, Maltese Falcon, and Key Largo =
Old 05-08-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
I got the impression from the HTF chat with the Warners guys that there were going to be new titles released next year. You may see a SE for The Maltese Falcon, and maybe even The Big Sleep (although I love the current edition since it has both edits of that movie and the documentary detailing the differences between them), but I really think we'll see some previously unreleased titles as well.

My top 3 wanted Bogart movies on DVD from Warners right now are Black Legion, All Through the Night, and Conflict. (I'd also really like to see Deadline USA on DVD, but that one is a 20th Century-Fox title.)

I'd also like to see movies like Invisible Stripes, Kid Galahad, San Quentin, Crime School, Racket Busters, King of the Underworld, It All Came True, etc come out on DVD, but they might have to release them as Humphrey Bogart Double-Features to market them well (without doing them as box sets). Warners hasn't done this before, but they also hadn't released DVDs in keep cases before, and they changed that last year so anything is possible.

Other Bogart movies that need DVD releases: Across the Pacific, Action in the North Atlantic, Passage to Marseilles, The Two Mrs Carrolls (all Warners), Knock on Any Door (Columbia), Chain Lightning (Warners), The African Queen (United Artists/MGM/Sony), We're No Angels (Paramount), The Left Hand of God (20th/Fox).

Honestly, I'd like ALL of Bogart's post 1936 movies on DVD, and some selected pre-1936 movies as well. (Especially Up The River, which was Bogart's 2nd feature, Spencer Tracy's 1st feature, and was directed by none other than John Ford!)
Old 05-08-05, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by darkside
God Damn it, I thought this was a big boobie thread.
Old 05-08-05, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron
hardly see how this is a threadcrap...just stating that it had already been listed...no big deal, stop looking for a fight. I hardly see how your post about my post contributed anything...so didn't you do what i did?...
I certainly did, and my apologies to everyone else. It just seems like you make about half of your posts looking for some kind of recognition from people around here for being the greatest post ever or something. You mentioning that you already posted that by quoting yourself didn't accomplish a thing, and served only to give yourself credit for being the first one to post it. Who cares if he missed the post?

Anyway, no biggie really. I won't say anything more.
Old 05-08-05, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I got the impression from the HTF chat with the Warners guys that there were going to be new titles released next year. You may see a SE for The Maltese Falcon, and maybe even The Big Sleep (although I love the current edition since it has both edits of that movie and the documentary detailing the differences between them), but I really think we'll see some previously unreleased titles as well.

My top 3 wanted Bogart movies on DVD from Warners right now are Black Legion, All Through the Night, and Conflict. (I'd also really like to see Deadline USA on DVD, but that one is a 20th Century-Fox title.)
Hmm, here's the quote from WB:

"The bad news is, no new Bogie this year. The good news is that four major Bogie classics are being restored from the orig camera negatives as we speak and will be released in 2006. thanks for all your support."

I guess it could be interpreted either way, but I'm almost positive I've read something about the Maltese Falcon at least being restored for a SE. I wouldn't be surprised at all if AT LEAST two of these are previously-released. I'd like to see some of those other Bogart flicks released too, but I guess what makes me think it's going to be rereleases is the term "major classics" which I don't think can be applied to any of the ones you mentioned. To me, a major Bogie classic is the Maltese Falcon, the Big Sleep, Key Largo, maybe High Sierra or To Have and Have Not (though those are sort of stretching it), and then some of the ones already in 2-disc sets like Casablanca and Treasure of the Sierra Madre. It will be interesting to finally hear what these are though.
Old 05-08-05, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, Across the Pacific and Passage To Marseilles are both considered to be classics in that sense, so I would be that they are in the running.

At this point I'd much rather see previously unreleased Bogart movies on DVD to re-releases of movies we already have.
Old 05-08-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I certainly did, and my apologies to everyone else. It just seems like you make about half of your posts looking for some kind of recognition from people around here for being the greatest post ever or something. You mentioning that you already posted that by quoting yourself didn't accomplish a thing, and served only to give yourself credit for being the first one to post it. Who cares if he missed the post?

Anyway, no biggie really. I won't say anything more.

I need no credit, nor a pat on the back for anything posted on this message board. I come here to learn, and do my best to teach when i can. it's not that I or anyone else cares if he missed it...just stating it was already there. If I offended i apologize. Let me offer a and we can move on. Not trying to make half my post pointing out any faults...just doing my best to serve an online community, that I have enjoyed being a part of for six years. Shall we move on...
Old 05-08-05, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
I need no credit, nor a pat on the back for anything posted on this message board. I come here to learn, and do my best to teach when i can. it's not that I or anyone else cares if he missed it...just stating it was already there. If I offended i apologize. Let me offer a and we can move on. Not trying to make half my post pointing out any faults...just doing my best to serve an online community, that I have enjoyed being a part of for six years. Shall we move on...
Absolutely. You obviously have good taste if you're in a Bogie thread anyway, so I'm not planning on holding a grudge or anything. The post just seemed a little bit ill-intentioned, but I'm glad to see that I was wrong.
Old 05-09-05, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

First someone says Treasure of the Sierra Madre is a 'B' and now I see someone ranking Key Largo at the very bottom of their list of Bogart flicks?! Sheesh, what is this world coming to? Granted, every film you listed is quite good, so at least you didn't put something like Dark Passage above it. Then I'd really have to flip out.
yeah yeah yeah

i'm gonna go put an asterisk on that 'B' just for the ToSM fans

B5Erik, i'll have to give High Sierra another look, have to watch the ones i just bought first.
Old 05-09-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sabrina for lite Bogie. Love the movie. Too bad he hated Audrey Hepburn...
Old 05-09-05, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by conscience
Too bad he hated Audrey Hepburn...
noooooooooooooooooooooo

he did?
Old 05-09-05, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by BigStinky
yeah yeah yeah

i'm gonna go put an asterisk on that 'B' just for the ToSM fans

B5Erik, i'll have to give High Sierra another look, have to watch the ones i just bought first.
High Sierra is a great flick too. It would have fit right in on the Gansters boxed set. In fact, it'd almost be a better pick for the last film, and White Heat would be a better pick for one of the film noir boxes. But oh well, I'm just glad both are available.
Old 05-14-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just wish Columbia would drop the MSRP on their classic titles...i have been holding off on several titles for that reason alone...
Old 05-14-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sabrina for lite Bogie. Love the movie. Too bad he hated Audrey Hepburn...
I don't think he hated Hepburn, though he may not have cared for her. He did, however, HATE Billy Wilder...and if you ever read any of Wilder's biographies, you'd understand why (for one thing, Wilder had Bogart convinced that Sabrina would end differently.)
Spoiler:
Sabrina (Hepburn) marries playboy David Larrabee (William Holden), not his older brother, Linus Larrabee (Bogart)

Last edited by RevKarl; 05-14-05 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-14-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RevKarl
I don't think he hated Hepburn, though he may not have cared for her. He did, however, HATE Billy Wilder...and if you ever read any of Wilder's biographies, you'd understand why (for one thing, Wilder had Bogart convinced that Sabrina would end differently.)

Let me rephrase that:

Sabrina for lite Bogie. Love the movie. Too bad he hated working with Audrey Hepburn...

Hmm..maybe I should look into the Wilder bios. Interesting. I always like reading about behind the scenes tidbits.
Old 05-14-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You'll find Wilder to be as interesting a character as he was a great filmmaker.

As for Sabrina, Bogart was in a "no-win" situation even before production started, as Wilder had envisioned Cary Grant in the role while writing the screenplay (as he had with the male lead in Ninotchka and later in Love in the Afternoon) and was very upset when Grant turned it down.

Last edited by RevKarl; 05-14-05 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-14-05, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BigStinky
...Beat the Devil - I'm not aware of a decent dvd for this movie though, i bought a crummy 99 cent version. I think Laserlight has the most expensive dvd version of BtD out there - but is it watchable?...
This has been skipped over by all the previous replies. Has anyone out there found a good-to-decent copy of Beat the Devil on DVD?

Last edited by RevKarl; 05-14-05 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-14-05, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

that question even got its own thread with not much help...

Beat the Devil (Best release?)

I have never seen a great copy. The dollar store version is watchable, but sound and picture is hardly top knotch.
Old 05-14-05, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, Cameron. Via DVD-Basen, I did find a three-year-old review of the Delta disc at DVDCorner.net, but I'm not sure of their critical reliability. For anyone interested, here's a link to said review:

http://www.dvdcorner.net/html/main/i...eview&index=71
Old 05-15-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've got the Delta/Laserlight version of Beat the Devil, and the picture and sound quality are both pretty good for a public domain title. The only downside is the Delta logo that appears on the bottom right corner every 5 or 10 minutes (it stays there for about a minute then vanishes for 5 or 10 minutes and so on). Other than that it is a more than acceptable version.

I've read that the European edit is totally different, and that some people consider it to be better - but I've never seen it (on TV or on video - VHS, LaserDisc, or DVD).

But if you want to get it now, get the Delta/Laserlight version.
Old 05-15-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, B5Erik. I've added it to the wish list.
Old 05-15-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bogie, Stewart, Brando and Grant are regarded as the greatest actors!
Old 05-15-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

An amusing side note to the above: Bogart hated method actors like Brando and Rod Steiger. He called it the "Scratch your ass and mumble school of acting."

And to re-iterate a point I had made earlier - I'd rather have previously unreleased titles come out on DVD than have upgraded versions of movies that are already available on DVD.

Give us Across The Pacific, All Through The Night, Black Legion, Conflict, etc, before putting out re-releases of The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep. That's what I'd like to see, anyway...
Old 05-15-05, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

An amusing side note to the above: Bogart hated method actors like Brando and Rod Steiger. He called it the "Scratch your ass and mumble school of acting."
In turn, he loved classical actors like Richard Burton, who used to tell great stories about drinking with Bogart...if the two of them started arguing about acting and Burton was getting the best of it, Bogart would grab his Oscar, stick it in the Welshman's face and yell "Argue with This!"

And to re-iterate a point I had made earlier - I'd rather have previously unreleased titles come out on DVD than have upgraded versions of movies that are already available on DVD.
Same here...as Warner Home Video has already released two (2) Bogart DVD collections composed entirely of previously-released titles, it would be nice to finally have a set make up of only new DVDs. My suggested titles for "The 'Bogie' Collection":

It All Came True (1940)
All Through the Night (1941)
Across the Pacific (1942)
Action in the North Atlantic (1943)
Passage to Marseilles (1944)

Last edited by RevKarl; 07-16-05 at 04:25 AM.
Old 05-15-05, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

all of those titles were released on vhs under the humphrey bogart collection except it all came true....I'm not sure it ever had a vhs release or not.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.