Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Adventures Of Pete And Pete: Season 1" video is messed up!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 05-04-05, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/609/609692p1.html

The Video

In one word: yuck.

Pete & Pete comes in its original full-screen format, which wouldn't be a problem if this transfer wasn't so ugly. This disc could literally work as a catalogue of video flaws. The compression is so awful that details in clothing and facial features are lost. Grain fills the screen, and artifacts pop up regularly. The colors are faded, too, making the footage look years older than it is. And, if that's not enough, interlacing shows up in every shot with a lot of fast movement, a Pete & Pete regular.

Worst of all, this transfer has analogue tape tracking errors. There are literally times when you can see the errors in transferring from video tape. Don't believe me? I didn't either at first; I thought it must be something wrong with my television. So I tried it on a few more sets and took a screen capture:

Ouch. Just ouch. This transfer isn't bad, it's simply unacceptable.

Score: 1 out of 10
Old 05-04-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't realize this was coming out so soon, that's good news!

I'll wait for other reviews to hear how bad the video really is. IGN isn't always the best site for DVD's. Besides, they still gave it a 7/10 for a final score... with an unacceptable transfer, that's pretty damn good.
Old 05-04-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
that's horrible if true
Old 05-04-05, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by MasterCXtreme
Besides, they still gave it a 7/10 for a final score... with an unacceptable transfer, that's pretty damn good.
They gave it 6/10 overall.

And yes, I agree IGN's DVD reviews have went to hell in the past few years.
Old 05-04-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm disappointed...but it doesn't matter....It's Pete and Pete.

The transfer of MacGuyver to DVD was reviewed as horrible as well. When I play it, it looks fine...I'm in awe that we even have it on DVD.
Old 05-04-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

IGN sometimes gets early not really finished copies. Although its unlikley that faulty video would be changed later on, theres still an outside chance.
Old 05-04-05, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a low-budget early '90s television show, what were they expecting?

Christ, they could've smeared shit on the negative and put that on DVD and I still would've bought it. And hey, it's better than the bootleg copies circulating out there.
Old 05-04-05, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

is displeased
Old 05-04-05, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
It's a low-budget early '90s television show, what were they expecting?

Christ, they could've smeared shit on the negative and put that on DVD and I still would've bought it. And hey, it's better than the bootleg copies circulating out there.
But the show aired on Digital Cable for several years - I'm positive that it looked better than those screencaps.

And the bootleg sets contain all the shorts - this set only has 2 of them.
Old 05-05-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Any other DVD reviewer get these yet? I find it hard to beleive IGN was the only one to get these early.
Old 05-05-05, 09:15 PM

Maybe the dvd reviewers dvd player just blows or didn't have the latest firmware.
Old 05-06-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My assumption is they would use the same masters they were playing on digital cable and those looked great.
Old 05-06-05, 12:05 PM

Well we now know why it's called the "rewind collection", because it's looking like its being rewinded.
Old 05-06-05, 12:48 PM

I think we all need to wait until the final DVDs are released. IGN enjoys trashing transfers that I find very decent or excellent. Maybe they get pre-release review copies, maybe they that some uber setup that makes every grain appear like a fist on the screen, I don't know. What I do know is that they reviewed many films to say they have a bad transfer and I don't notice anythign wrong on my 52" HDTV.
Old 05-06-05, 06:17 PM

Nothing will keep me from buying this show on DVD, but if the IGN review *is* accurate than Nickleoden's being very disrespectful by just throwing out what they had and not trying to improve the visuals. If Artie was around they would NOT be pulling this crap! But I don't even bother giving 2 cents to an ign review, either.

This thread totally freaked me out though, do you think you could maybe change the thread title to something more like "Review of Pete & Pete says blah blah" or something? Because it looks definitive and panicky ("IS messed up!" Nobody buy it, just run!!!) the way it is now, when the info is from just 1 review.
Old 05-18-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For anyone who has bought this, is there further verification of image problems? I really want to get it, but just imagine a problem like Dream On S1/2 which looked fairly poor. Any update is appreciated.
Old 05-18-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 427 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Any other DVD reviewer get these yet? I find it hard to beleive IGN was the only one to get these early.
DVD Talk got Clarissa Explains It All, but not Pete and Pete. Go figure.
Old 05-18-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by jrsl76
For anyone who has bought this, is there further verification of image problems? I really want to get it, but just imagine a problem like Dream On S1/2 which looked fairly poor. Any update is appreciated.
In the Clarissa thread, someone mentioned it was VHS quality with a noticable defect in one of the episodes. Bummer.
Old 05-18-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
In the Clarissa thread, someone mentioned it was VHS quality with a noticable defect in one of the episodes. Bummer.

Yeah it's on the second episode. For about a minute there is a yellow line across the screen, then there is a big tracking type line across the screen. It is annoying, but wouldn't keep my from buying the set.

Other than that the video quality isn't all that bad.
Old 05-19-05, 02:34 PM

Yeah, in "Day of the Dot," the episode that Big Pete and Ellen finally hit it, there's a big red line through the top half of the screen for about five minutes. And yeah, they look done from VHS, but it's The Adventures of Pete & Pete! Doesn't bother me.
Old 05-19-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I Bought Clarissa and the video is exceptable. Im not that picky, I just wanted to watch the episodes again. I netflixed pete&pete and yes the video is worse than clarissa, but again its the episodes...
Old 05-19-05, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Crap shows sometimes get crap transfers.
Old 05-19-05, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by bballing
Crap shows sometimes get crap transfers.
Nice thread crap.
Old 05-19-05, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

can't believe no one has got up in arms enough to contact the maker and scream about it
Old 05-19-05, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So when Pete and Pete aired on The N on digital cable, were the transfers pristine or did they look similar to what is presented on the DVD? Like does anybody have solid proof?

I bought Pete and Pete and Clarissa on DVD the other day, but I still haven't gotten around to watching them yet.

And Cameron, nobody is getting up in arms because we're thankful that we actually got a DVD release of these two shows.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.