Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

THX Optimizer has never worked properly...

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-05, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

I have a nice set-up in my theater and everything is set-up perfectly. However, I have noticed something interesting about the THX Optimizer in my theater, as well as on other people's setups. Even if the system is setup just right, and the dvd player is properly configured, the spacial surround test in the THX optimizer NEVER works properly when it's testing the rears. I can test the system a million other (and more reliable) ways, and movies play just fine, but for some odd reason, the optimizer never has worked properly. Anyone else had this problem?

Matt

Last edited by KillerQ; 05-04-05 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-04-05, 06:35 AM

I now have the problem (after getting my Pioneer VSX-1014 receiver) that the optimizer won't send a signal to my sub when it does its speaker setup test.

It did it just fine with my Kenwood VR407, but not the Pioneer.

I think it's a bit weird because my LFE is fine during any other type of playback EXCEPT the THX optimizer.
Old 05-04-05, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hello...

I have a nice Pioneer rec. now and it still has the problem -- but as I said, i have had the same problem on Sony rec's as well....

Silly,

Matt

Last edited by KillerQ; 05-04-05 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-04-05, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Never tried it honestly. I only calibrate using DVE or S&V HT and an SPL meter. Might try it to see what happens when I get home. I've never used the THX Optimizer because it is supposed to optimize your HT setup just for that DVD the THX Optimizer is on.
Old 05-04-05, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Steebo,

Actually, I have seen the THX optimizer on about a dozen different discs, and they have all been exactly the same. The audio section doesn't tweak anything, it just tells you that the speakers are working (and from what you can read, it can't even do that half the time). The video portion is basically geometric grids to allow to see orientation and some simple color tweaking (although it does have the blue tint (with optional color film) adjustment...

In other words, I don't think it's geared toward the DVD that it's on -- or any type of dvd in particular, for that matter.

Later,

Matt

Last edited by KillerQ; 05-04-05 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-04-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't remember them all offhand, but there are known issues with every test disc. The Optimizer has always had some problem, maybe you've found it. Avia and VE also have certain issues. Do a search at AVS or similar if you are really interested in reading some discussion.