Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question About "Ray" Extended Version...

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 05-03-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hear that you can implement deleted/extended scenes into the theatrical cut of the film. I also hear the presentation for this extended version is sort of choppy, and the aspect ratio changes, etc. That's too bad...how annoying is it?

Do you think they'll release another edition of the film where they'll fine tune this issue?

Thanks.
Old 05-03-05, 06:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I bet'cha for the eventual network TV edit might be the fine tuned version of the extended cut, other than that wishful thinking I think we are stuck with this version, which is mind numbingly choppy and distracting to say the least. This is a film where the extended cut should have been released seperately than the theatrical cut.
Old 05-03-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's very annoying and so bad that it really does detract from the film's presentation. Not having seen Ray I watched the extended version first and could not understand how this shite was approved and allowed on the market without any kind of heads-up or disclaimer. Aside from the "unfinished" looks of all the additional materials presented, the biggest and most glaring error, IMHO is a set of outtakes included within the body of the extended cut. It deals with Ray after a particulary rousing concert and his talks with a potential new manager. The shot ends and begins no fewer than four times. Each varying only in the kind of joke and cussin' Foxx employed for the role. The additional background info is welcomed but it should have been made a separate extra feature. And one only accessible outsied of the main feature. It's very cheap and a disservice to the customer to intergrate these poorly rendered bits within the framework of the finished product and stamp "Extended Cut" on the exterior to hawk in even more dollars for an already bloated bastard of a company. If they had somehow warned us about the ugliness of these extra cuts it might have softened the blow a bit...not much but a bit.
Old 05-03-05, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What buckee said. Also, IMO, from what I could extract from the extended scenes, the theatrical cut is superior anyway.

RichC