DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

ANOTHER Star Wars Box Set?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-05, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ANOTHER Star Wars Box Set?

Not that this is entirely unexpected...

From The Digital Bits

At the Celebration III convention in Indianapolis this weekend, George Lucas let it slip that a new DVD box set of all 6 films is in the works, possibly to include an all-new bonus disc containing deleted scenes from the original trilogy. Expect no further changes in the films themselves. In addition, don't look for a high-definition release of the films in 2007.
Old 04-24-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wasn't this already pretty much known though? that once all six films were out there would be a box set for it.

I await the tons of "LUCAS RAPED ME AND DOUBLE DIPPED!"
Old 04-24-05, 03:24 PM

Do you think Lucas could possibly add the original, un-screwed trilogy?
Old 04-24-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

They should remaster The Phantom Menace. Compared to the transfers of the original trilogy, the current DVD leaves a bit to be desired.
Old 04-24-05, 03:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MontyPythonFan
Do you think Lucas could possibly add the original, un-screwed trilogy?

OK, for the last time...say it with me...THEY...DO...NOT...EXIST
Old 04-24-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry...but some of you guys (and you know EXACTLY who you are) need to get over and accept the fact the originals are never going to be released again. Period. I remember many of you could not be convinced when the boxset was first announced last year despite all of the evidence to the contrary. I'm sure it will be just as difficult again for you to accept with this future boxset.
Old 04-24-05, 03:41 PM

I knew there was going to be a box set, but I figured it akin to the LOTR Extended Box Set... meaning nothing new... but a bonus disc of deleted scenes! ARGH! NOW I HAVE TO BUY IT!
Old 04-24-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

bring it on...i have bought it time and time again on vhs laserdisc and dvd...so there you go
Old 04-24-05, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not totally unexpected. I'd buy it.
Old 04-24-05, 05:10 PM

He better put in that extra disk with the deleted scenes to justify buying the 3 prequels. Anyone have any clue when this will be released?
Old 04-24-05, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was news to me that the original series would never be released again. I was able to buy the original set on LD a few years ago when dvd planet was getting rid of their LD's. They were only $10 each. I guess I need to get an LD player to watch the unaltered versions in a digital format.
Old 04-24-05, 05:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know but I suspect in time for Christmas.
Old 04-24-05, 05:37 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey

OK, for the last time...say it with me...THEY...DO...NOT...EXIST
well, they do exist and in fine form. they are not legal however, but to say they don't exist is misleading.
Old 04-24-05, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the promo for the final thx remaster of the original were own the originals for the last time ever on home video...however this is not home video it is dvd....

but i doubt it for this set, and for a long time....i see the OT coming in a super box set in addition to the remasters....
Old 04-24-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Rumour was that he would make some further changes to Ep IV, V and VI to ensure all 6 films were consistent with each other. It was expected that the issue with the John Williams score would be corrected at that time as well.

If he's not gonna change anything, then they better make damn sure that they ALSO release a trilogy boxset of just Ep I, II and III.

I agree about Ep I needing a new transfer as well. The edge enhancement is so horrific, it gave me eye strain. It's only marginally surpassed in its video shitness by the edge enhancement on Die Hard III.
Old 04-24-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
the promo for the final thx remaster of the original were own the originals for the last time ever on home video...however this is not home video it is dvd....
DVD is a video format you watch in your home. It is home video. "Home video" doesn't just mean "VHS".

DJ
Old 04-24-05, 06:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Squirrel God
I agree about Ep I needing a new transfer as well. The edge enhancement is so horrific, it gave me eye strain. It's only marginally surpassed in its video shitness by the edge enhancement on Die Hard III.
Yeah, not to mention that there was some major problems with compression artifacts. The desert scenes out by where the Naboo cruiser landed were especially bad.

On a slightly un-related note, but related to what Lucas let slip at the C3 convention, he talks about the up-coming TV shows.

Live-Action TV Show info
Here's what we've been told officially about the upcoming live-action TV series from Lucasfilm.
  • 100 episodes
  • 1 hour each
  • based on a spinoff character
  • Lucas will direct first season
  • write season one at one time
  • film season one at one time
  • takes place between ROTS and ANH
WOW!!! 100 episodes!!! That's about 5 seasons worth of stuff.

If Lucasfilm can pull this off, I think we'll be talking Star Wars for quite some time in the future.

Also, in the general C3 report, Lucas also confirms another Star Wars cartoon series like "Clone Wars".
He confirmed 2 TV projects: One is continuing with the Clone Wars cartoons and the other is the live action series.
Old 04-24-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

100 episodes....the hell....amazing...hope this is young indy quality...could be great
Old 04-24-05, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
100 episodes......Sweet.
Old 04-24-05, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Really excellent news about the TV show! Kinda figured on the Uber box though, so that announcement comes as no real surprise. I'll wait and see what all's included before I yea or nay it.
Old 04-24-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by djtoell

DVD is a video format you watch in your home. It is home video. "Home video" doesn't just mean "VHS".
Right on. Good to see someone else catch this. I've seen many a TV spot advertising a new movie coming out to buy, and they always say, "...coming to video and DVD!" Maybe this is just a geek thing, but that comment is very misleading.

"Video" is a generic term, not a movie format. "Video" and "home video" have always been thought of commonly as VHS. Which is understandable; VHS was the primary movie format for about two decades. But strictly speaking, "home video" does refer to any format on which we watch movies at home, be it VHS, laserdisc, DVD, or whatever other format we have. Movies aren't released on "home video and DVD," because that implies that "home video" means specifically and exclusively a format other than DVD.

--THX
Old 04-24-05, 09:29 PM

ANOTHER ONE!?!?!?!? OH MY GOD!!! George Lucas you are no longer on my list of top directors. I mean I just spend my hard-earned money on the Original Trilogy boxset last year and now you came up with yet ANOTHER boxset?!?! I thought it would be at least 3 years before you make us double-dip but one year?!!?!?!?!?!? Gosh, that's just shameful!!!
Old 04-24-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i knew it! that's why i didn't buy the current boxed set right away.
Old 04-24-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anyone who didn't think that a box of all 6 films would be released needs to stop eating retard sandwiches.

DJ
Old 04-24-05, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by djtoell
Anyone who didn't think that a box of all 6 films would be released needs to stop eating retard sandwiches.

DJ
I think you now have your new signature...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.