Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Just thought I would share this.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Either way, many times like this, what's the point in really sharing such stories? Even if they are real or not it becomes e-penis waving. Especially when it's a deal that, if true, no one else could possibly ever get on.
You're telling me that you wouldn't make a post if you stumbled upon an estate sale where the person's family was offering the dead guy's complete Criterion Collection for $150 out the door? I've collected things for as long as I can remember...and one of the best things about having a kickass collection is having the opportunity to brag about a steal and show off your new treasure to those who understand the significance. Perhaps that's just me, though.

-JP
Old 04-21-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can see where he'd have that bragging about it would've evoked "ooo's" and "ahh's." Still I won't jump to conclusions. As long as we some legit pics, I'm satisfied. Seems unlikely, though.
Old 04-21-05, 04:07 PM

I could definitely see a new member coming in and making up a story. Hell, I make bullshit stories on here all the time, and I've been a member for five years.
Old 04-21-05, 04:12 PM

This one time my friend rode over 20 miles in a kangaroo's pouch just to get back to his house because his car broke down. True story.

-JP
Old 04-21-05, 04:55 PM
Banned

Dam didn't no I would get so much shit over this. First of all I didn't get Salo for .99 cents. That was the other store that I was refrencing that the manager told me about that was completely getting rid of there gallery. Second, I can agree that some are skeptical I would be too. Everytime I look thru used movies thinking I am going to find that gem and don't it would make me wonder how the hell someone else got so lucky. And third and finale, I got way ahead of my self. Having not ever seen the Criterion Salo I I learned that I was actually the fool. Today at work I looked on E-bay to see if possibly there were average prices for the disk only. Quickly to learn that the disk did'nt look the same as mine. So I got a non criterion disk in half a criterion box for 7.99. Oh well at least it has the spine so it will look good in my collection. But Robocop and Spinal Tap more than make up for it bieng movies that I like and enjoy. And for the 8 Disney movies not a ultimate rare find but a deal indeed (until the better versions come out and I have shit). So there you go.
Old 04-21-05, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jgiv
Yeah I'll get some pics up soon. There is a catch though. The criterions aren't in there original cases they are in shitty rental ones with the movie store logo on the front and the original back.
So, you have former rentals without the original packaging? Good for you, I suppose... but they aren't going to be worth much.

Even something like Salo isn't worth shit in that condition. If you were to put that up on eBay -- "Former rental, light scratches but plays fine, no booklet, no original case" -- you wouldn't exactly be able to put the kids through college, ya know?

But, if it was something you wanted to watch for yourself, I suppose you did well.
Old 04-21-05, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As the Hives once said....

"hate to say I told you so"
Old 04-21-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Every "cool new member" should have to complete a thirty day orientation program, taught by Jackskeleton, before they're allowed to post.
Old 04-21-05, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
...yeah, he has nothing to lose by coming up with this story. He has nothing to gain, either. I'm always dumbfounded by these types of posts, where people accuse others of lying. What in the world would motivate somebody to come to a forum and make up a bullshit story about a deal they ran across? Are the people here really so conceited that they think outsiders come here looking to gain their respect and admiration? Don't flatter yourselves. Regardless of whether or not he has a "reputation" to lose, he simply has no motivation for making up a bullshit story for a forum full of people he doesn't know from Adam.

I mean, I've been here for 3 months or so, and I've already seen everything from, "You say you got a good deal? Well then you're a filthy liar who will burn in hell" to, "I've never talked to you on the forums, so I have to ask, why are you posting this deal? Do you work for Deep Discount DVD? Huh, spammer, do ya?" It's getting old.

Long post short: lay the fuck off the new memebers already.

-JP
Ah, just what I was thinking, but said better. While I agree with you, there are some cases (check IMDB), where people post random shit that's obviously false for some reason... maybe attention? But from people that are no more than names on a message board? I can't fathom why, but either way, it can sometimes be true.

Aside from IMDB "Paris Hilton gave me head today I swear!" type things, I also don't understand the complete lack of trust and belief at a place like this.
Old 04-21-05, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
As the Hives once said....

"hate to say I told you so"
Hardly. You implied that he was intentionally making false statements, which turned out not to be the case.
Old 04-21-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by illennium
Hardly. You implied that he was intentionally making false statements, which turned out not to be the case.
Whether he was doing it intentionally or not, he was stating something that wasn't true. I called bullshit. I was right.
Old 04-22-05, 12:04 AM
Banned

I called bullshit. I was right.

That's simply awesome. WOW!
Old 04-22-05, 12:07 AM

dam,sounds like people on here are hating,i mean dam can you at least congratulate the dude for finding some cool bargains like that? dam
Old 04-22-05, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by William Fuld
Every "cool new member" should have to complete a thirty day orientation program, taught by Jackskeleton, before they're allowed to post.

I like the way you think.
Old 04-22-05, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

dam
Old 04-22-05, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Elldubtoo
That's simply awesome. WOW!
I know, I know. Go tell everyone you know me.
Old 04-22-05, 12:52 PM

Old 04-22-05, 12:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
talking about finding OOP Criterions in a local video store, I recently came across The Silence of the Lambs and rented it.
Old 04-22-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Liar!
Old 04-22-05, 04:19 PM
Banned

I know, I know. Go tell everyone you know me.

I just did. They were as equally as impressed by your strong performance as I am.
Old 04-22-05, 04:34 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by jgiv
Dam didn't no I would get so much shit over this. First of all I didn't get Salo for .99 cents. That was the other store that I was refrencing that the manager told me about that was completely getting rid of there gallery. Second, I can agree that some are skeptical I would be too. Everytime I look thru used movies thinking I am going to find that gem and don't it would make me wonder how the hell someone else got so lucky. And third and finale, I got way ahead of my self. Having not ever seen the Criterion Salo I I learned that I was actually the fool. Today at work I looked on E-bay to see if possibly there were average prices for the disk only. Quickly to learn that the disk did'nt look the same as mine. So I got a non criterion disk in half a criterion box for 7.99. Oh well at least it has the spine so it will look good in my collection. But Robocop and Spinal Tap more than make up for it bieng movies that I like and enjoy. And for the 8 Disney movies not a ultimate rare find but a deal indeed (until the better versions come out and I have shit). So there you go.
man! i love a story with good twists. oh, and nice pics of all the dvds too!!
Old 04-22-05, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
talking about finding OOP Criterions in a local video store, I recently came across The Silence of the Lambs and rented it.
Yup, me too. Amazed me when I came across the box, was sceptical when I took it up to the counter, because they don't have a box/movie correlation system (IE, you might find the widescreen box on the shelf, but it's out, and the foolscreen version is in, or you find a special edition box, but get a barebones disk, etc. Drives me frickin' nuts, I find I have to take seven discs up to the counter, if I want to rent four, just to weed out the crap.)

But they actually had it in. I dutifully returned it, and warned them to keep an eye on it, since it was pretty rare now.