Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Why Do TV Show DVD Menus Do This?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Why Do TV Show DVD Menus Do This?

I'm watching the second season of 24 and on one of the episodes' menu there was the following

Spoiler:
A picture of Nina Myers holding Jack Bauer hostage from behind with a gun

I was quite upset because this hadn't happened yet. Also another menu showed:

Spoiler:
Jack getting right up in the face of the Ali terrorist after thinking that he got away from the episode before

It's just kind of irratating.
Old 04-20-05, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not just you, I about went postal when your first spoiler ruined that episode for me... what the heck!!!
Old 04-20-05, 03:09 PM

I imagine that's why it was in a spoiler box. Self-control is a beautiful thing.
Old 04-20-05, 03:15 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate this! Such as on the Sopranos disc, when you select an episode there's a whole synopsis on screen while you wait to select "Play Episode". Or on Murder One, each disc has a montage of highlights playing while you pick your episode, which can ruin upcoming plot developments.

We're already sold on the show... that's why we bought or rented it. Those of us who haven't seen the shows don't want them ruined for us and those who have seen them don't need a refresher.
Old 04-20-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, the 24 sets might as well have a big ole sticker on the front saying "SPOILERS AHOY!!!". The art within the digipacks have spoilers, the book has spoilers, and so do the menus. Somebody needs a slappin'.
Old 04-20-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts
Hey Hey The Monkees

As a courtesy to fellow users utilizing low screen resolutions and/or slow Internet connection speeds, those users who append signatures to their forum posts must keep the total length of their signature to a length of five lines or less.
Old 04-20-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have been really annoyed by this on the Sopranos. They will show clips that just ruin parts of it for me. Not all of us watched this on TV when it first aired, HBO! Some of us LIKE to be surprised about what happens. It's bad enough when I hear a spoiler leak through on TV (I cannot watch the View when this show airs, as they love to reveal all the spoilers in their Hot Topics, the bitches) but to deliberately put those on the menu....somebody should be FIRED!

I have learned to hit that "MENU" button awfully quick if I see clips come up as the menu is loading. And I don't even read the synopsis at all. I did a couple times on season one and it left no surprises in the episode at all.
Old 04-20-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
I really dislike the way they set up The Sopranos DVDs with those synopsis and clips. I've watched 4 seasons worth, taking my glasses off and hitting MUTE everytime I want to select the next episode.
Old 04-20-05, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think the Buffy Season 6 packaging takes the cake. It has Dark Willow right on the front.
Old 04-20-05, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Alias Seas. 2 pissed me off the most. On the first disc they had a promo for Seas. 3 if i remember, and it basically gave away a bunch of what happens in season 2. I almost threw my remote when i saw that.
Old 04-20-05, 11:48 PM

On 24, I took care not to look at those pictures for just that reason.
Old 04-21-05, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After starting to watch the 1st season of 24, I picked up season 2 at Best Buy thinking there may just be a description on the back for what S2 may be about. A HUGE spoiler was in the first line. It was the spoiler for the event at the VERY END of the season, so I knew exactly how the season would end, and there was no suspense. But I didn't know how it happened. I got home, told my wife, and she says,
Spoiler:
Yeah, you didn't know Nina killed her?"

Pissed me off.
Old 04-21-05, 11:44 AM

For whatever reason, the marketers/package designers/whomever seem to be stubbornly locked into the idea that everyone who buys the TV season sets have already seen it or already knows what happens. It doesn't occur to them that a lot of their customers haven't seen it and enjoy being spoiler-free.

I really don't think they get it.
Old 04-21-05, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally Posted by otmetrud
For whatever reason, the marketers/package designers/whomever seem to be stubbornly locked into the idea that everyone who buys the TV season sets have already seen it or already knows what happens.
I agree... but I think it's an understandable assumption on their part unless they're told otherwise by unhappy consumers. But I agree they should use their brains.

Originally Posted by otmetrud
It doesn't occur to them that a lot of their customers haven't seen it and enjoy being spoiler-free.
I don't agree that it's "a lot" but more like a small (maybe medium) percentage. Add to that the small percentage that would get upset over the spoilers and only a percentage of them will let the studio know that it wasn't a cool thing to do.

So, hopefully, more upset people will be vocal enough for the studio to get a clue and keep cases/menus spoiler-free.
Old 01-27-07, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This shit is driving me crazy as I make my way through the Buffy DVDs. Does anyone have any idea why these shows continue to do this? Do the show creators have no imput in the content of the DVDs. It blows my mind.
Old 01-27-07, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

NOTHING will ever beat the original Planet of the Apes DVD release in terms of the marketers spoiling things.
Old 01-27-07, 05:52 PM

I think the cover of 'The Other' takes the cake.

Not only does the picture on the front of the cover give away the ending, the blurb on the back details it explicitly.
Old 01-28-07, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Imagine if this was a menu screen on "Episode 5":

Old 01-28-07, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

With Sopranos and 24 I've learned to be quite fast at hitting those play buttons before any of the spoilers can come up. It's a huge annoyance. I mentioned it to somebody else I know who is into Sopranos (and they don't see it first run either, as they don't have HBO) and they said they always read the episode synopsis before watching the episode and it doesn't bother them to know key things going in. I guess to each their own, but I prefer to be as surprised as I would have been if I watched it the first time around.
Old 01-28-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow, I forgot about this post from almost 2 years ago!
Old 01-28-07, 04:49 PM

i'm going through the seasons of 24 now...trying to catch up to watch season 6. They just need to make a "Play all" button for those of us that have never watched the show.

and they need to make on the fly subtitles....tony talks to quietly.
Old 01-28-07, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

buffy has been terrible with spoilers in the menus.
Old 01-30-07, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, as far as I know, EVERY SUBSEQUENT SEASON of 24 has done the EXACT SAME THING.

Worst DVD packaging ever.
Old 01-30-07, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not menu form, but Six Feet Under's fifth and final season has AN ABSOLUTELY HUGE spoiler on the inside packaging. If I hadn't already seen the season I would have been extremely upset. And to think a lot of people that bought it hadn't seen it yet.