Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Who here has the most DVD's?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Who here has the most DVD's?

Old 04-21-05, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering how long i've been a member here, I probably have the lowest dvds-per-month average. 28 titles in a couple years, and i've been coming here daily ever since the start.

Maybe i'm obsessed with OTHER people's obsessions. Maybe i'm insane!
Old 04-21-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
How do you all count season box sets? I count'em as 1 title as does most on-line sites do, but depending on how the studios package their season sets each disc should count someway.

For example, a full season box set counts as 1 title. Like the Andromeda Season box sets. The complete box sets of all 22 episodes count as 1 title. However, if you buy the individual volumes, it takes 5 volumes to complete the seasons. And these volumes count as 1 title each, so in that case, each season of Andromeda via individual volumes count as 5 titles.

Samething with the Farscape sets, whether it be the original release or the new Starburst Editions. (BTW, anybody ever figure out if there's any special features on them? ) The original release for Season 1 was 11 individual volumes. That 11 titles according to the on-line database sites. However with the full season set of those 11 discs, count as just 1 title. Now bring in the Starburst Editions and there's 3 volumes per season on just 6 discs.

All this is relevant in a way that if someone has a large collection of TV sets, their actual number of DVDs is not represented correctly. Now I'm not saying that we should count discs in multiple disc versions of movies, unless the documentaries on the extra discs are duplications of official shows like those on the Black Hawk Down Deluxe Edition.

Currently I have about 405 titles according to DVDAficionado, but if I were to recount them using a method of say for every 3-4 "hour-long" or 8 "half-hour" episodes to count as 1 DVD, then my collection would be at least 3 times larger if not more.

I ought to do this just for the fun of it to see exactly how many 2+ hours per disc of entertainment I have.
I just keep two separate counts, one for titles, one for discs (meaning Volume 1 of Family Guy would count as one title, 4 discs. Volume 2 of Family Guy would count as a second title, and as discs 5-7). However, I also count the second disc of my SE movies. Like the Fight Club SE, for example, I count as 1 title, 2 discs.

So, I use my title count as a rough idea of how many movies I own, and my discs count as a rough estimation of how large my collection is. The reason I count the second disc of SE movie releases isn't because it has extra content, but because I pay for that second disc and as such, I want it to count toward my disc total.

Not sure if any of that makes sense...but that's my system of keeping count.

-JP
Old 04-21-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

2,400+...and yes, storage is the biggest problem (The two large DVD shelf units I built filled up months ago, so box sets and overflow have ended up on two other bookshelves.)

And to address Mike Lowery's question, I count individual titles in box sets separately if they have their own UPC codes (some exceptions in my system being Universal's Marx Bros. and W.C. Fields sets.) Obviously, everyone does it their own way.
Old 04-21-05, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm constantly weeding out the stuff I don't watch very often, but I probably have somewhere around 400 (if boxed sets count as one, that is! ).
Old 04-25-05, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

1,334 DVDs, plus a few that haven't been entered into my DVD collection list.
Old 04-25-05, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
I'm constantly weeding out the stuff I don't watch very often, but I probably have somewhere around 400 (if boxed sets count as one, that is! ).
The boxed sets can look nice, but mine have the greatest wear and tear. The corners seem to go first. I wish they also include a standard plastic case with them too.
Old 04-25-05, 05:03 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
There are many people here that over 5,000 DVDs, you will be shocked.
Gee, I've reviewed over 3000 in the past several years and had over twice that before I slowed down buying them (I miss the glory days of .com bargains)... Hopefully, most people won't focus on the bigger is better argument though (admitedly, I am rather big...lol).
Old 04-25-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have more than some and less than others.