Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

No Shame Films (De Sicca, Fellini, Visconti, etc)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

No Shame Films (De Sicca, Fellini, Visconti, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-05, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where's the sex on the Boccaccio 70 cover? And the cover to Story of a Love Affair is about as sexy as my grandparents' 1933 wedding album.

DJ
Old 05-03-05, 01:35 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by djtoell
Where's the sex on the Boccaccio 70 cover? And the cover to Story of a Love Affair is about as sexy as my grandparents' 1933 wedding album.

DJ
The whole marketing ploy of Boccaccio 70, especialy in the US, where the only non-salacious episode was cut, was based on the participation of three major sex symbols, as much as on its four important Italian directors: Anita Ekberg, Romy Schneider and Sophia Loren.

As for Story of a Love Affair, if the title doesn't convince you, it stars Massimo Girotti, whose very mention was enough to propulse women into spontaneous orgasms in post-war Europe.
Old 05-03-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by baracine
The whole marketing ploy of Boccaccio 70, especialy in the US, where the only non-salacious episode was cut, was based on the participation of three major sex symbols, as much as on its four important Italian directors: Anita Ekberg, Romy Schneider and Sophia Loren.
But you referred to the current DVD cover (at least, you did before you edited your post), not the original marketing. Either way, the original marketing of the film != No Shame "appealing to a certain prurient interest".

As for Story of a Love Affair, if the title doesn't convince you, it stars Massimo Girotti, whose very mention was enough to propulse women into spontaneous orgasms in post-war Europe.
We aren't living in "post-war Europe", either temporally or geographically. No Shame is doing little in the here and now to "appeal to a certain prurient interest" with these films if all they're doing is hoping someone can remember what the marketing impact of a film was in post-war Europe.

DJ
Old 05-03-05, 01:59 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by djtoell
But you referred to the current DVD cover (at least, you did before you edited your post), not the original marketing...
I never referred to the Boccaccio 70 DVD cover per se, only to other covers in the collection, which border on the lurid. The Boccaccio cover if anything, is atypical in that it is extremley boring and utilitarian in simply driving home the major selling point that it stars four major European (i.e. sexy) female actresses.

And like I said before: There is nothing wrong with sex, whether real, imagined or merely remembered... There should be more of it and I intend to buy every serious title put out by Noshame.

Last edited by baracine; 05-03-05 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-04-05, 07:19 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
ohhhh....ohhh...ohhh....Look at this....Antonioni's Story of a Love Affair

Story of a Love Affair was Antonioni's first commercial film. It's a mixture of film noir, fumetti (Harlequin Romance type Italian photo novella) and whodunit. It is highly entertaining and supremely elegant. Because it was a commercial film (Antonioni seemed to know which way his bread was buttered at the time), it is still very far from the marshmallow bogs of existential introspection of his later films. Very recommended.

P.S.: I just got the Boccaccio 70 2-disc set and I think the Technicolor transfer is just amazing, as is the sound. It's very hard to tell whether there is a 1-frame speed-up or not. I didn't notice it. It's chock-full of wonderful extras, including a priceless American press book (that barely fits in the snap case, folded in half) suggesting incredible tie-in promotions, like inviting local milk producers to use Anita Ekberg's posters from the Fellini sketch in their "Drink More Milk" campaigns...

Last edited by baracine; 05-04-05 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-04-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turner Classic Movies has a great interview on their website with Joyce Shen and Michele De Angelis, who founded the company...

http://www.turnerclassicmovies.com/M...,94474,00.html

The most encouraging quote in the piece:
Our job here is to bring a new life to these almost-lost great Italian films. Michele and I are both film lovers and DVD collectors. We produce our DVD with the collector's mentality in mind.
Sounds good to me!!
Old 05-04-05, 10:50 AM

i cant see it on their site, but a suitable release thats coming up which could be noshame is "gang war in milan" ... listed on some sites as june 7th 2005 on R1.
Old 05-30-05, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Updates:

No Shame have acqured the rights to Bertolucci's PARTNER.

Straight from the horse's M....

"NoShame Films is pleased to announce that we have acquired DVD rights to Academy Award-winner Bernardo Bertolucci's 1968 film PARTNER. Expect a special edition DVD of this film in the fall of 2005"

...AND..

"Following the success of BOCCACCIO 70, NoShame Films is proud to announce that we will be releasing the classic 1969 anthology LOVE AND ANGER, with segments directed by such film legends as Marco Bellocchio, Bernardo Bertolucci, Jean Luc Godard, Carlo Lizzani and Pier Paolo Pasolini. We are hoping to release this DVD in the U.S. some time this fall."

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 05-30-05 at 02:09 AM.
Old 06-07-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

update:

After having consoled himself for the loss of his wife by taking up with the undertaker’s wife, super wealthy aging widower count Leonida (Mario Pisu of Fellini’s JULIET OF THE SPIRITS) has now suffered a near-fatal heart attack. Hoping that the old Casanova will pass by at a faster speed due to his lusty desires, he’s been assigned the incredibly sexy and sensuous nurse Anna (Bond girl Ursula Andress of DR. NO and WHAT’S NEW, PUSSYCAT?) by his potential heir, the scheming Benito. But Anna has other ideas and the plans of Benito and the rest of the old man’s heirs go completely astray when the sensuous nurse falls for the decrepit old count!

Featuring an international cast including Academy Award®-winner Jack Palance (CITY SLICKERS, SHANE), THE SENSUOUS NURSE is both a biting social satire and an erotic comedy of the highest order. Starring one of the filmdom’s sexiest women at her most revealing, THE SENSUOUS NURSE is considered by many to be one of the best Italian erotic comedies of its era. A staple of late night cable television airings throughout the 70s and 80s, anyone who remembers this erotic gem will find it as sexy today as it was when you first saw it… and that’s pretty damn sexy!

NoShame Films is proud to present THE SENSUOUS NURSE for the first time on DVD in its original widescreen aspect ratio, digitally re-mastered from the original negative, uncut and uncensored, the only way it should be!

nternational sex symbol Edwige Fenech (THE STRANGE VICE OF MRS. WARDH, FIVE DOLLS FOR AN AUGUST MOON) stars as Anna, a girl as beautiful as she is naïve, who falls into an abusive relationship with international crime boss Guido (Corrado Pani of GAMBLING CITY). He soon forces Anna deep into the abyss of depravity, violence and prostitution and, looking to start a new life, she escapes from Guido and seeks the help of Lorenzo (John Richardson of BLACK SUNDAY and ONE MILLION YEARS B.C.), a sensitive doctor. But Guido finds her and wants revenge on the woman whose life he has so ruthlessly controlled for so long. In the end, Anna has no choice left but to face her wicked tormenter and fight him with all her strength.

Directed by Giuliano Carnimeo (THE CASE OF THE BLOODY IRIS) and co-scripted by the Ernesto Gastaldi (MY NAME IS NOBODY, ALMOST HUMAN), SECRETS OF A CALL GIRL is a tough and sexy Eurocult classic that showcases the many charms and the extraordinary beauty of Edwige Fenech and features a supporting cast that features Richard Conte (THE GODFATHER, OCEAN’S ELEVEN). Ravishingly shot, it also features a sensual score composed by Luciano Michelini that features the magnificent voice of Edda Dell’Orso. If you’re a fan of classic Italian exploitation films, then SECRETS OF A CALL GIRL is one scorcher of a film that is not to be missed!

NoShame Films is proud to present SECRETS OF A CALL GIRL for the first time on DVD in its original widescreen aspect ratio, digitally re-mastered from the original negative, uncut and uncensored, the only way it should be!
• Memories of a Call Girl – interviews with director Giuliano Carnimeo, star Edwige Fenech, and writer Ernesto Gastaldi
• Original Italian Theatrical Trailer (with optional English track)
• Poster & Still Gallery
• Collectible booklet – including talent bios

One of the most controversial Italian film of the 80s, DEVIL IN THE FLESH takes Raymond Radiguet’s classic novel and updates it to modern times. Dealing with the legacy of Italy’s “leaden years” and the aftermath of the social struggles headed by the extreme left wing revolutionary groups, DEVIL IN THE FLESH caused a critical uproar upon it’s release due to its highly-charged political and sexually frank subject matter. Marushka Detmers (THE MAMBO KINGS) stars as Giulia, a young woman engaged to marry Giacomo, her fiancée who’s sitting behind bars because of his political activity. Restless in her appetites and inner turmoil, she meets a young student named Andrea and a passionate affair quickly ensues. But when the day arrives in which she has to face whether she wants to share her life with Giacomo or not, Giulia takes a surprising decision…

Boldly directed by Marco Bellocchio (GOOD MORNING, NIGHT) and featuring superb cinematography by Giuseppe Lanci, DEVIL IN THE FLESH is a powerfully erotic film that deserves to be discovered and appreciated without preconceptions. With it’s mixing of political and sexual issues, Bellocchio retains the strength and relevancy of the classic text and makes a strong contemporary statement in favour of absolute artistic and political freedom. As controversial as films get, DEVIL IN THE FLESH remains one of the most important Italian films of our time.

NoShame Films is proud to present DEVIL IN THE FLESH for the first time on DVD in its original widescreen aspect ratio, digitally re-mastered from the original negative, uncut and uncensored.
• Stolen Years, Hidden Lives – interview with former real life Red Brigaders Adriana Faranda and Mara Nanni
• In Bellocchio’s Flesh – Interview with director Marco Bellocchio
• Original theatrical trailer
• Poster and still gallery
• Collectible booklet – Including liner notes, talent bio and essay on Red Brigades’ history

All info above courtesy of NOSHAME FILMS.

Regards,
Pro-B
Old 06-15-05, 01:55 PM
Suspended

ohhhh....ohhh...ohhh....Look at this....Antonioni's Story of a Love Affair

See DVD Savant's review: http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s1646love.html
Old 06-15-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I can not disagree more about the picture quality...this is indeed a PAL-NTSC port as it is the case with the RAILROAD MAN (my review will be up soon...i am still waiting on the "extras" disc to be sent to me as I only received disc-1). While "Cronaca"...however was somewhat tolerable and I gave NoShame the benefit of the doubt...THE RAILROAD MAN suffers from extremely heavy "ghosting". It is indeed a shame as this is a beautful film.

Regards,
Pro-B
Old 06-16-05, 11:48 PM

they have other titles coming too, 'the strange vice of mrs.wardh'
Ok, when you say Mrs. Wardh', do you have to pronounce the h ??
Old 06-27-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

UPDATE:

NoShame Films is pleased to announce that we have acquired the following films for DVD release:
Pietro Germi's THE FACTS OF MURDER, starring Germi and Claudia Cardinale
Emilio Miragla's RED QUEEN KILLS 7 TIMES and THE NIGHT EVELYN CAME OUT OF THE GRAVE
Luciano Ercoli's DEATH WALKS ON HIGH HEELS (starring Frank Wolff) and DEATH WALKS AT MIDNIGHT

Look for these exciting films to get the NoShame Films DVD treatment in 2006!

Pro-B
Old 02-27-06, 09:45 PM
Banned

From dvdtimes.co.uk:

The Emilio Miraglia Killer Queen Box Set in April

NoShame Films have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The Emilio Miraglia Killer Queen Box Set for 25th April 2006 priced at $34.95 SRP. Crumbling castles... ancient curses... spooky family portraits... skeletons in the closet... asylums... knives... bloodshed… and rats, rats rats! Welcome to the twisted mind of Emilio P. Miraglia, writer-director of two of the most mind-bending psycho-sexual thrillers of the Italian giallo cycle. Now, NoShame Films is proud to present his two most terrifying films together in one package in a limited edition set with a super-exclusive extra that you won’t find anywhere else! With just 7000 individually number copies available, this is the one DVD that giallo fans will kill to get their hands on!

The Night Evelyn Came Out Of The Grave (1971): Anthony Steffen (DJANGO THE BASTARD) stars as an English aristocrat who grieves over the death of his perfidious wife Evelyn by bringing home a string of red-headed prostitutes and striptease artists (including KILL, BABY... KILL's Erika Blanc), none of whom are ever seen again. When he remarries, this time to a gorgeous blond (Marina Malfatti), strange apparitions, midnight slayings, and an empty tomb suggest that Evelyn has come back to voice her displeasure. Is madness or murder the soul of the plot… and who will live to know the truth?

The Red Queen Kills Seven Times: Guilt over the accidental death of their sister Evelyn binds siblings Francesca (Marina Malfatti) and Kitty (DON’T TORTURE A DUCKLING’s Barbara Bouchet). When the girls inherit their family castle, a string of savage murders decimates their circle of friends, associates and lovers… murders committed by a dark-haired woman in a blood-red cloak. Is it the work of their ancestor, the “Red Queen” whom legend says claims seven lives every hundred years… or could it be their dead sister Evelyn, back from her watery grave to exact a terrible revenge?

Pity those who saw these two hallucinogenic giallo gems via scratched drive-in prints or panned-and-scanned bootleg videocassettes. NoShame Films proudly presents these genre masterpieces in their original widescreen aspect ratios, in full bloody colour, both backed by classic EuroCult scores by Bruno Nicolai (CASE OF THE SCORPION’S TAIL).

Extras include...

The Night Evelyn Came Out Of The Grave:
Introduction by star Erica Blanc (aka Erika Blanc)
The Whip and the Body – Interview with star Erica Blanc (aka Erika Blanc)
Still Rising from the Grave – Interview with production designer Lorenzo Baraldi

The Red Queen Kills Seven Times:
Introduction by production designer Lorenzo Baraldi
Dead à porter – Interview with production designer Lorenzo Baraldi
Round Up the Usual Suspects – Interview with actor Marino Masé
If I Met Emilio Miraglia Today… – Featuring Erica Blanc (aka Erika Blanc), Lorenzo Baraldi, Marino Masé
My Favourite... Films - Interview with star Barbara Bouchet
Alternative Opening
Poster and Still Gallery

Both films in this set contain 2.35:1, 16x9-enhanced widescreen transfers and 4x3 full frame transfers on each disc. Also contains the Red Queen action figure, exclusive to this limited edition set. Once the 7,000 copies are sold out, say goodbye to the Red Queen action figure!

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=60585
Old 02-27-06, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The Zurlini boxset is what I am waiting for...should be great!!

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 03-16-06, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

...Bella....

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 03-16-06, 04:21 PM
Suspended

...Bella....

Ciao,
Pro-B
It's coming out on May 30, 2006. Details are here: http://www.noshamefilms.com/catalogu...01.asp?pdno=48 . It is saddled with "Violent Summer" (1959), a film I don't know with Eleanora Rossi-Drago and Jean-Louis Trintignant. I would rather buy "The Girl with the Suitcase" alone but I will probably buy the set as it is the only way to get the Italian original version. It also comes with English dubbing. I would have preferred the French version I saw as a kid, which is just as legitimate as the cast is multinational [Edit here :] and the film is a Franco-Italian production. Little-known fact: Claudia Cardinale's voice was dubbed in Italian by other actresses in her early career, up until "8 1/2" (1963). I don't know if it's because directors thought her voice was too smoky or because she was a bad actress or she had a Tunisian-Italian accent (whatever that is).

Last edited by baracine; 03-17-06 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-16-06, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm planning to get caught up on some of these releases. I somehow completely missed this thread over the last year.

Since I can't find too many to rent, which five or so would you recommend?
Old 03-16-06, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

...Bella....

Ciao,
Pro-B
Oh yeah....I'm all over this. I own most of the stateside NoShame releases and it seems the fanboy in me will continue to collect them all.
Old 03-16-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by jdpatri

Do you mean the entire NoShame catalog?

My favorite release so far is Pietro Germi's The Railroad Man. The disc is unfortunately a PAL-port but the film is to die for. Let me know if you meant the entire catalog and I would recommend a few. I own just about all of them but a few of the giallos...

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 03-16-06, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do you mean the entire NoShame catalog?

My favorite release so far is Pietro Germi's The Railroad Man. The disc is unfortunately a PAL-port but the film is to die for. Let me know if you meant the entire catalog and I would recommend a few. I own just about all of them but a few of the giallos...

Ciao,
Pro-B

Yep, from the whole NoShame catalog. I might even be inclined to rent some of giallos if someone has a favorite or two there. This is certainly a series I'd be interested in getting into as I've read and heard quite alot about some of these films but never had the opportunity to see any of them.
Old 03-17-06, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool, but I'm still waiting on Violent Rome or Violent Naples
Either Noshame or Blue-underground better get on this!
Old 03-17-06, 08:02 AM
Suspended

I'm planning to get caught up on some of these releases. I somehow completely missed this thread over the last year.

You can't go wrong with the classics. I own "Boccaccio 70" (for the Fellini segment) and "Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow" (De Sica) and I rented "The Story of a Love Affair" (Antonioni). I will probably buy "The Girl with a Suitcase".
Old 03-19-06, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yep, from the whole NoShame catalog. I might even be inclined to rent some of giallos if someone has a favorite or two there. This is certainly a series I'd be interested in getting into as I've read and heard quite alot about some of these films but never had the opportunity to see any of them.
Sorry for the delay...

Obviously both Boccaccio 70 and Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow are very solid picks (but they also happen to be PAL-NTSC ports, so keep that in mind).
I would strongly recommend:

The Railroad Man (also PAL-NTSC port) but a stunningly beautiful film.
Devil in the Flesh....you probably know enough about it.
I also liked The Desert of the Tartars...many did not like Zurlini's film but I think that it is one of the best in its genre.

The Sensuous Nurse obviously is a guilty pleasure....

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 03-20-06, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thanks baracine, pro-b:

I just added a few new entries in my wish-list.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.