Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Differences between the Rated and NC-17 Bad Education DVD?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Differences between the Rated and NC-17 Bad Education DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Because I have every right to my opinions as you do yours.

What you call absurdities, I call the word of God. In fact, Pro-B, I would call your views extreme, morality phobic, and close-minded to anyone who doesn't hold the liberal viewpoint.
First of all, it is absolutely ridiculous for you to claim what my political orientation is...

Second of all I challenge you to provide facts regarding your claim that I am being moraly phobic and close-minded. If such is not provided by you I will be taking further action in reporting you to the moderators for hate incitement.

Pro-B
Old 04-20-05, 11:56 AM
Banned

I'm going to separate your two main points here to make my responses a bit easier to organize.

Anyway...

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Mike,there is no "christianphobia"..only common sense prevailing against people using their religion as justification for their hatred of others

I know many true christians who don't spread the hate. I even know gay and lesbian christians,as well as straight christians who have no problem with homosexuality. Since they are living in reality and have seen past all the lies and misconceptions the hate mongers spread.

+ Mike if you hate homosexuality completely which you claim you do. Then there is no reason for you to be less offended by seeing lesbians get it on than gay men. It is a double standard and shows you are more hateful towards gay men,than lesbians...since you find women attractive. So somehow it is 'ok' in your eyes,but it makes you a hypocrite. If you hate homosexuality,then you must hate all forms of homosexuality male & female.
First of all, this word "hate". I see a lot of people using the word "hate" when describing those who have an alternate opinion of certain "acceptable" behaviors amongst certain circles.

I don't like hate or hate mongers. Does it ever cross your mind and others that if someone disagrees with a certain behavior that the disagreement or disapproval is just that, and not "hate".

I don't hate homosexuals as people, I, as well as the Catholic Church, disagree with and disapprove of the homosexual lifestyle. You quoted that some Christians are gay and/or don't have problem with gays. That's fine. As you should know, there are many denominations in the Christian faith. Mine just happens to oppose the gay lifestyle. Confusion mounts when you have a bunch of "cafeteria Catholics" (like Sen. John Kerry), who claim they are Catholic, but don't fully believe in and follow official Church doctrine. Catholics like these should in all honesty find themselves a new church.

Now then...
Regarding Springer,Jerry himself admits the show is 'absurd' and just 'entertainment'. It is not to be taken seriouslly. It is a freak show for those who feel better laughing at people worse than themselves. The majority of the stuff is scripted anyway and just showing an exaggerated view of the 'other' side of life.

It is a stupid show and so cliche by now,that I don't bother watching it. But too use the show as an example of what 'societyy is really like' is hilariously misguided.

I have nothing against Springer himself,since he's a pretty nice guy in reality. But his show is just pure mindless sensationalism like everything else. It's practically a parody of talk shows. It's not to be taken as 'real' or 'serious',since the show certainly isn't.

So it is beyond hilarious when I see people such as yourself use it as the sole example of the 'decay' of modern society. If you don't like it,turn the channel. Pretty simple and easy solution which many people don't bother with(since I guess it's less fun to not complain and be a hypocrite).
Hey, I totally agree with you. The JS Show is a stupid show. I don't watch it anymore for that very reason. It was fun to watch a few years ago before their latest set change, but it has just gotten way too stupid and out of control to be taken seriously anymore.

I just used that example about his audience from something Jerry said himself a few years ago, that even though his show tends to portray liberal themes and behaviors, that the audience usually gets it right, as far as morals go, whether it be spousal cheating or whatever.

In any case, I'm sorry if my set of morals offend you and others, but I'll take them over heathenism anyday. The problem is that too many of today's "elites" believe that their morals (or lack thereof) are the mainstream and normal, while mocking and scorning those who actually do get theirs from a Higher Power.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 04-20-05 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-20-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Mike, how do you feel about murder in movies? How about gore? Horror films?

Seems to me you should refuse to watch--and start badmouthing--movies with any of those in them too.

Odd how it's only the sin of homosexuality that gets you riled up in films, not murder, rape, or what have you. These are fictional characters, dude. You don't *have* to approve of them. In fact, if you only want to watch things with 100% morally-approved characters, you better give up on Hitchcock and turn in your Star Trek DVDs.

Last edited by adamblast; 04-20-05 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-20-05, 12:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Mine just happens to oppose the gay lifestyle. Confusion mounts when you have a bunch of "cafeteria Catholics" (like Sen. John Kerry), who claim they are Catholic, but don't fully believe in and follow official Church doctrine. Catholics like these should in all honesty find themselves a new church.
well I'm glad I am not Catholic.
Old 04-20-05, 12:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by adamblast
Mike, how do you feel about murder in movies? How about gore? Horror films?
Check my DVDAficionado listing in my sig, and you'll find neither. And no, cop action/adventure dramas don't count.

I don't like either. Killing innocent people is bad. However administering justice on those, I applaud. I hate horror films. Mindless slasher action does nothing for me. Now put in a SWAT team to take out the slasher and I'll watch. Pieces of shiite need to get what's coming to them.

Seems to me you should refuse to watch--and start badmouthing--movies with any of those in them too.

Odd how it's only the sin of homosexuality that gets you riled up in films, not murder, rape, or what have you. These are fictional characters, dude. You don't *have* to approve of them. In fact, if you only want to watch things with 100% morally-approved characters, you better give up on Hitchcock and turn in your Star Trek DVDs.
I don't watch Hitchcock. Once again, check my DVD listing. You won't find one Hitchcock title. Now as for Star Trek, I'm totally confused. There's murder and rape in Star Trek? Funny, I thought that Star Trek was only guilty of one thing. Portraying the success of a known failed economic system...Communism.
Old 04-20-05, 12:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Giles
I'm glad you're not too.
Old 04-20-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For the record, Mike, it's not your beliefs themselves that offend most of us.

Most of us have plenty of friends and family with similar beliefs.

You, on the other hand, are simply one of the least likeable people on the board in general--due to the lack of respect you show others.
Old 04-20-05, 12:14 PM
Banned

Most of us have plenty of friends and family with similar beliefs.

Happy to say it but I don't. If I did, I'd have to make sure they weren't a part of my life in any capacity. People who don't accept my sexuality don't accept me not the person I love and I don't have time for them. You give respect and you get it.
Old 04-20-05, 12:14 PM

For the love of God, shut up about God in a DVD forum.
Old 04-20-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now as for Star Trek, I'm totally confused. There's murder and rape in Star Trek? Funny, I thought that Star Trek was only guilty of one thing. Portraying the success of a known failed economic system...Communism.
There's certainly murder in Star Trek, as you'd know if you thought before posting. My point, as you probably know too, is that for *conflict* to exist in any film or TV show, there has to be good guys and bad guys-- and for a show to have any depth at all, people who are somewhere in between.

The idea that you should have to agree with all the actions of the characters to like a movie shows an amazingly shallow approach to viewing and storytelling.
Old 04-20-05, 12:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PotVsKtl
For the love of God, shut up about God in a DVD forum.
Did God tell you that? Because I hear he was too busy at Mike's house talking about **** to tell you anything.
Old 04-20-05, 12:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
First of all, it is absolutely ridiculous for you to claim what my political orientation is...

Second of all I challenge you to provide facts regarding your claim that I am being moraly phobic and close-minded. If such is not provided by you I will be taking further action in reporting you to the moderators for hate incitement.

Pro-B
Hate incitement? Now that's ridiculous.

How is the disapproval of a certain social behavior hateful. If I openly spoke about the disapproval of murder or rape, would that be hateful to potential killers and rapists?

The only one here who is seriously taken offense to this discussion is you.

I have given my reasons for my beliefs, where are yours? Other than, "I accept the lifestyle".
Old 04-20-05, 12:22 PM
Banned

There's certainly murder in Star Trek, as you'd know if you thought before posting. My point, as you probably know too, is that for *conflict* to exist in any film or TV show, there has to be good guys and bad guys-- and for a show to have any depth at all, people who are somewhere in between.

The idea that you should have to agree with all the actions of the characters to like a movie shows an amazingly shallow approach to viewing and storytelling.
Whoah...WTF are you talking about? I know there are good guys and bad guys in film which are needed to provide for the dramatic conflict, which is why I cheer for the good guys and love it when the bad guys get justice.

Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
I'd say something back to you, but I might get banned.
Banned

I beg to differ.

The reasons? Because my love for another human being will NEVER affect ANYONE in a negative way. There's nothing negative about loving someone.

And I still fail to see why anyone would think differently.

I'm glad you're not too.
well I'd say something back to you too, but I'd get banned.
Old 04-20-05, 12:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Did God tell you that? Because I hear he was too busy at Mike's house talking about **** to tell you anything.
You said it, not me.
Old 04-20-05, 12:25 PM
Banned

You said it, not me.
well I'd say something back to you too, but I'd get banned.
Old 04-20-05, 12:26 PM
Banned

Oh geez, this discussion is getting seriously overblown and ridiculous. It's going around in circles. Apparently we'll never convince one another so with that I'm done with this conversation.
Old 04-20-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Indeed.

I have followed up on my initial warining to you.

Regards,
Pro-B
Old 04-20-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whoah...WTF are you talking about? I know there are good guys and bad guys in film which are needed to provide for the dramatic conflict, which is why I cheer for the good guys and love it when the bad guys get justice.
Poor Mikey doesn't like it when there's real 3-dimensional people in his movies.

No white hats and black hats = No Sale.
Old 04-20-05, 12:32 PM
Banned

Poor Mikey doesn't like it when there's real 3-dimensional people in his movies.

No white hats and black hats = No Sale.
Maybe that's why Episode I sucked. No stormtroopers.
Old 04-20-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Uh, no, that's wrong.

REALLY the most offensive series of posts I've seen here. Everyone has a right to opinions, but I would think you'd get more responses and discussion if you lost the attitude, Mel Gibson.
Old 04-20-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Since this discussion's been thoroughly defouled, I guess the little rule against threadplotz has been suspended.

Mike Lowrey, can't you simply leave some of the DVD TALK landscape to the adults and restrict yourself to the "WildCAT", "He-Man", "Knightrider" threads, and whatever other forms of naive juvenilia you find appealing? That you may have certain medieval notions of morality you're compelled to share is of absolutely no concern to me. Please, go back to your cartoons and bad television, and take your puerile proselytizing with you.
Old 04-20-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought he was done?

I still don't know why he goes out of his way to watch movies he KNOWS contains stuff that will upset him. Probably because there is a part of him that wants to see the "bad" stuff. It's fairly common..........there are probably underlying issues.

Just pray for him, and hopefully if he keeps going over the line the mods will do something.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.