Reload this Page >

Do you think we'll ever get a S.E. of Darkman

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 04-05-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was watching this the other night and I love the movie. Has anyone heard if Universal plans on a re-release of this title? It really cries out for one.
Old 04-05-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I doubt it...at least in the near future. It seems to me the perfect time to release this would have been when Spidey 2 was hitting theaters. Build the hype, and all that. The other reason I don't see this one coming down the pipeline is that Universal did not select the series for a franchise collection. Darkman 3 was released just months ago for the first time. I had hoped they would release a franchise collection with some special features for the first film. It could happen, but I think we will have to wait for spidey 3.
Old 04-05-05, 03:48 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've said it before, and I will say it again: The fact that DARKMAN still hasn't been rereleased is amazing.

Universal has had plenty of opportunites to revisit this title for maximum exposure.
Old 04-05-05, 03:53 PM
Banned

Cameron, I'm curious. Why do you say that Universal would have revisited Darkman during the Spidey 2 hype? How are those tied together? No offense meant whatsoever, I'm just curious as to your reasoning.
Old 04-05-05, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Cameron, I'm curious. Why do you say that Universal would have revisited Darkman during the Spidey 2 hype? How are those tied together? No offense meant whatsoever, I'm just curious as to your reasoning.
Sam Raimi directed both movies.
Old 04-05-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

never say never... but i doubt it.
Old 04-05-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd kill for a "Take the F'cukin Elephant" Special Edition
Old 04-05-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

picked this up at bestbuy for $5.99 the other week. anamorphic to boot, not bad until a new version someday.
Old 04-05-05, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been holding out on this forever. I figured when both Spidy 1 and 2 came out they would release it. With my luke I would buy it tomorrow then they would announce a SE the next day
Old 04-05-05, 05:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fallfan
Oh OK. [J. Carson]I did not know that[/J. Carson]
Old 04-05-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would also like to see Universal revisit this title.
Old 04-05-05, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Yes, put me down for an SE
Old 04-05-05, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fallfan
and it was also a marvel comic...though the comic was created after the movie

And Mike, thanks for asking questions instead of jumping the gun. It is refreshing, and look what you can learn.
Old 04-05-05, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm suprised that Universal didnt cash in on this either....either from Sam Raimi & Spider-Man or with Arnold Vosloo(sp?) and the Mummy movies.

Darkman one is great because its got all the Raimi trademark camera shots/angles as well as the Oldsmobile and Bruce Campbell.
Old 04-06-05, 04:00 AM

I'd like a SE of Darkman as well. I still prefer it to the CGI-orgies that are the Spider-Man films. Liam Neeson did a great performance here. The "wild takes" of him wigging out are classic Raimi. I think this has more personality than the Spider-Mans.
Old 04-06-05, 05:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cameron
and it was also a marvel comic...though the comic was created after the movie

And Mike, thanks for asking questions instead of jumping the gun. It is refreshing, and look what you can learn.
Marvel always made comic book mini-series adaptations of whatever blockbuster was out. Darkman getting one doesn't really mean anything.
Old 04-06-05, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Put me down for an SE of this as well. Hopefully Universal will get off their butts.
Old 04-06-05, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spamcola
Marvel always made comic book mini-series adaptations of whatever blockbuster was out. Darkman getting one doesn't really mean anything.
I'd hardly call Darkman a blockbuster...plus just offering this as a small bit of knowledge. Spidey is right on the cover of the magazine....and it is marvel comics....i think that falls under the answer for what does Darkman have to do with Spidey.
Old 04-06-05, 08:54 AM
Banned

Spidey's head is covering the spot where the UPC would usually go. I see the logic you're using but it just doesn't apply to this situation. Darkman has nothing to do with Spiderman.

In retrospect I really do wish Darkman was a Marvel superhero or at the very least had an on-going comic. Star Wars, Transformers, GiJoe...hell even Robocop had ongoing comics from Marvel.
Old 04-06-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wasn't Darkman created by Sam Raimi? I thought i read somewhere that he made up his own superhero because he couldnt get the rights to do another (The Shadow i believe).
Old 04-06-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by UAIOE
Wasn't Darkman created by Sam Raimi? I thought i read somewhere that he made up his own superhero because he couldnt get the rights to do another (The Shadow i believe).
Ding Ding!

You are CORRECT SIR!

From IMDB.com:
Director Sam Raimi originally wanted to base this movie on "The Shadow" and had to create the character of "Darkman" when he couldn't obtain the rights.
Old 04-06-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
That is correct, UAIOE. He wanted to do The Shadow, went to Universal who held the rights but they gave the project to Russel Mulcahey.
Old 04-06-05, 01:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by UAIOE
Darkman one is great because its got all the Raimi trademark camera shots/angles as well as the Oldsmobile and Bruce Campbell.
Bruce Campbell was SUPPOSED TO BE Darkman, but Universal wanted a bigger name, which is odd since at that time Liam Neeson was just that Dead Pool/Next of Kin/Krull guy.
Old 04-06-05, 03:00 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Legolas
Bruce Campbell was SUPPOSED TO BE Darkman, but Universal wanted a bigger name, which is odd since at that time Liam Neeson was just that Dead Pool/Next of Kin/Krull guy.

You forgot GOOD MOTHER, SUSPECT, and THE MISSION.

Neeson was on his way up. Campbell (and I mean this sweetly) was a Hollywood nobody at the time.
Old 04-06-05, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spamcola
Spidey's head is covering the spot where the UPC would usually go. I see the logic you're using but it just doesn't apply to this situation. Darkman has nothing to do with Spiderman.
No my point is...that Raimi created Darkman, and directed Spiderman...they both have marvel comics, and those are the two things that bind them together. Although be it trivial. Doing a Marvel comic deal with Darkman, introduced Raimi to people at Marvel comics...the rest is history.

Originally Posted by Legolas
Bruce does play Darkman...check out the end of the first movie

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.