Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Criterion to release Kurosawa's Ran

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Criterion to release Kurosawa's Ran

Old 04-02-05, 05:12 AM
  #26  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 21,309
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by sabby
No 'Ran' from Criterion, it seems. The news on Criterion's own site disappeared as April Fool's Day passed us.
If this was Criterion's idea of a April Fools Day joke, it was a really bad one IMO.
Old 04-02-05, 05:32 AM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: West Covina, CA
Posts: 496
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pretty ****ing funny, anyway i really hope they release this and boy if they aren't messing, well i guess .................................................... that means no more criterion for me (for a while)
Old 04-02-05, 10:19 AM
  #28  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Update: BACK
Posts: 2,642
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I knew this had to be a joke. My most anticipated Criterion, I guess I'll keep waiting.
Old 04-02-05, 10:24 AM
  #29  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Posts: 2,374
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, how many people panic-sold their Wellspring editions over the last 24 hours? I know I consdered it.

Old 04-02-05, 10:33 AM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 899
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's pretty stupid, especially since the news was first put up on the night of the 31st. Screw you, Criterion.
Old 04-02-05, 10:37 AM
  #31  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 33,313
Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts
Someone posited the theory that it wasn't 'really' a joke, but that Wellspring objected to the early announcement (since their version i still in print) so Criterion took it down. Sounds plausible, but I don't know.
Old 04-02-05, 11:07 AM
  #32  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Posts: 4,590
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has Criterion really pulled any April Fool's jokes before?

For those who follow the video game forum, it was announced in the April EGM that Nintendo would include a graphically updated "mature" version of Zelda: Windwaker for people who pre-ordered the new Zelda game. - For those who don't know, this has been all but proven to be their April Fool's joke...

The magazine had a history of April Fool's jokes, and that was something that was kind of off the wall...

Since Criterion has released many Kurosawa films in the past, it seems very plausible that they would be trying to acquire the rights to Ran, as well.
Old 04-02-05, 11:38 AM
  #33  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 21,309
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by littlefuzzy
Has Criterion really pulled any April Fool's jokes before?

For those who follow the video game forum, it was announced in the April EGM that Nintendo would include a graphically updated "mature" version of Zelda: Windwaker for people who pre-ordered the new Zelda game. - For those who don't know, this has been all but proven to be their April Fool's joke...

The magazine had a history of April Fool's jokes, and that was something that was kind of off the wall...

Since Criterion has released many Kurosawa films in the past, it seems very plausible that they would be trying to acquire the rights to Ran, as well.
That's why I would find it in bad taste if this was an April Fools prank since they just released a wonderful version of Kurosawa's Kagemusha.

I sincerely hope what Wendersfan indicated is the reason why the announcement is no longer on their website and that the possible release of this movie comes to fruition.
Old 04-02-05, 02:13 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: In a Academy Award nominated film
Posts: 2,752
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Criterion would most likely get in legal trouble if they announced a title they didn't have the rights to. So I doubt it was a April fools joke.
Old 04-02-05, 04:06 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
buckee1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Minding the precious things in the Local Shop
Posts: 4,106
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, This really sucks. I was really looking forward to this title. I guess My R2 WB disc will have to suffice until they make a "real" announcement.
Old 04-02-05, 04:45 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Props to Criterion for having a sense of humor.
Old 04-02-05, 04:54 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: on a river in a kayak..where else?
Posts: 4,949
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just can't believe that they would be that stupid...really. If thats the title they chose to joke about....then they really would be idiots. I don't even know hoodrats that are that ignorant.
Old 04-02-05, 05:10 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 13,339
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
That's why I would find it in bad taste if this was an April Fools prank since they just released a wonderful version of Kurosawa's Kagemusha.

I sincerely hope what Wendersfan indicated is the reason why the announcement is no longer on their website and that the possible release of this movie comes to fruition.
I don't find it so much in bad taste, but utterly not funny. I don't see any possible source of humor or pranksterism to draw on in this.

Criterion: We are announcing the coming release of Kurosawa'a Ran.
Response: Oh, that's nice.

Criterion: No, we're not really! April Fools!
Response: What? Uhm...OK. Ha-ha, I guess.
Old 04-02-05, 09:28 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I don't find it so much in bad taste, but utterly not funny. I don't see any possible source of humor or pranksterism to draw on in this.

Criterion: We are announcing the coming release of Kurosawa'a Ran.
Response: Oh, that's nice.

Criterion: No, we're not really! April Fools!
Response: What? Uhm...OK. Ha-ha, I guess.
Actually if you read the responses, they were a little more than just "Oh that's nice"
Old 04-04-05, 01:50 PM
  #40  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Fascination Street
Posts: 6,521
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 04-04-05, 02:02 PM
  #41  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: under your desk
Posts: 310
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The announcement is back up on Criterion's home page...so it seems it was a joke and then not a joke..

Life goes on.
Old 04-04-05, 02:06 PM
  #42  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,542
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by billy9215
The announcement is back up on Criterion's home page...so it seems it was a joke and then not a joke..

Life goes on.
so it is.... sneaky bastards.
Old 04-04-05, 02:36 PM
  #43  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 7,466
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe they put it up on the 1st and then realized what day it was so they took it down so that people wouldn't think it was an April Fools Day joke? And now that it's over they're put it back up?
Old 04-04-05, 02:49 PM
  #44  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 899
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kingtopher
That's pretty stupid, especially since the news was first put up on the night of the 31st. Screw you, Criterion.
I take it back. Criterion, you no longer have any obligation to do anything to yourselves other than patting yourselves on the back.
Old 04-04-05, 05:12 PM
  #45  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Update: BACK
Posts: 2,642
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is indeed still there, so let me officially say hell ya.
Old 04-04-05, 06:22 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 12,306
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good news...glad they don't have a sense of humor
Old 04-04-05, 06:57 PM
  #47  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,786
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can only imagine what kind of freaky orgasm-inducing cover they'll come up with...
Old 04-04-05, 07:29 PM
  #48  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 103
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmj713
I can only imagine what kind of freaky orgasm-inducing cover they'll come up with...
Okay, this is getting a little strange. OTOH, you just gotta love Lady Kaede's psychotic laugh.
Old 04-05-05, 03:08 AM
  #49  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What was wrong with this dvd release?



It's the one I bought.
Old 04-05-05, 08:31 AM
  #50  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,429
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What was wrong with this dvd release?
Very poor, shimmering, artifact-ridden transfer on "Ran", no anamorphic enhancement on the documentary (which was shot 1.78:1), and a less than ideal transfer on "Madadayo".

All that, plus it cost $100.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.