Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Rodriguez talks Sin City DVD...

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Rodriguez talks Sin City DVD...

Old 04-01-05, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, I think I started drooling just from reading the transcript. I don't think that I've ever wanted a DVD so much without even watching the movie yet. Rodriguez has to be on the best directors in terms of DVD content.
Old 04-01-05, 06:34 AM

"How can you in one breath call the Spy Kids movies "crap" and then in the next one say you respect them for what they are. Just because something wasn't up your alley stylewise or content-wise, doesn't mean they are crap."

While it's great that he's branched out to different genres of film, the Spy Kids series just didn't seem to work on his usual level.

If comparing it to Lucas' work, i think RR's Spy Kids series is his Phantom Menace (all style, no substance). To me, it was a step sideways in his learning process. He learned how to hone his special effects work, but the story and characters were weak.

Even taking into account that it IS a kids movie. I think it was more a lesson on "how to" more than growing as a writer and being able to flesh out interesting characters and story. THAT'S why i called it crap, but admirable crap. In 20 years, I'm sure no one will remember those characters, but they WILL remember the achievement that he made.

make sense?

And if you want to argue the "kids movie" genre, my generation (I'm 31) will ALWAYS remember movies like The Goonies. Why? Because it had great special effects, great characters, great story ...AND it was a kids movie that adults could ALSO enjoy. I just did not enjoy the movies (which I'm sure alot of people will agree with me on). I'm taking into account that RR is a "Jack of all trades, Master of none" philosophy in that he's not a "great" writer, but Spy Kids wasn't as evenly balanced as his other films.

(Budget be damned) I just thought that RR could have done a little more to the Spy Kids movies to give them some oomph writing wise (and pacing ...they seemed to drag on). But, I'm sure he was more focused on learning how to deal with the special effects process to REALLY notice.
Old 04-01-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

mms://wm.npr.na-central.speedera.net/wm.npr.na-central/me/20050401_me_sincity.wma

An hourlong NPR interview of Rodriguez by Kevin Smith.
Old 04-01-05, 11:44 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
I gotta admit, Robert Rodriguez has got to be the coolest director/film maker I know. He's got that, "Hey, I'm just your ordinary cheap independant filmmaker that happens to get his work on the big screen and I make lots of bucks (and fun) doing so."

Maybe 5 years ago, but his ego has grown much since then. Watching him the other night on the LATE, LATE SHOW made me a little queasy. He's taking the Spielberg route...
Old 04-01-05, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmj713
mms://wm.npr.na-central.speedera.net/wm.npr.na-central/me/20050401_me_sincity.wma

An hourlong NPR interview of Rodriguez by Kevin Smith.
good stuff thanks
Old 04-01-05, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts
While I'm not the audience for the Spy Kids movies, and will admit to never having seen one, I can appreciate RR's business saavy.

It does provide a good cash cow, and allows him to reinvest the money back into more personal projects. And it's a stroke of brilliance to cast Antonio Banderas in them, to give Mom some eye candy.
Old 04-01-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And let's not forget that daddy gets Carla Gugino (and Salma Hayek in the sequels).
Old 04-01-05, 01:34 PM
Banned

is Rodriguez's wife the blonde chic in the Sin City red carpet photos at IMDB?
Old 04-01-05, 09:05 PM

I'm gonna be lazy and not read this thread, but I was at the regional premiere for Sin City last night and I have some more news about the Sin City DVD. While there he had microphones set up around the theatre, he was recording the audience. So, on the DVD there will be an audio option to watch the movie with an "audience." I think its a pretty cool idea, and the audience was great. So...look for that.
Old 04-02-05, 12:53 AM

If the audience were really great it would be silence with some gasps and laughs here and there.
Old 04-02-05, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

and alot of shake your tail feather ringtones
Old 04-02-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Gee, too bad the dvd couldn't also replicate the experience of some asshat kicking the back of your seat.
Old 04-02-05, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I like the idea of being able to watch them seperately, but I would also like to see one long cut.
Same here. I certainly won't complain if all we get are the separate stories, but I'm with you on this one.
Old 04-02-05, 04:28 PM

wow all these great features are really making me drool over this release. cant wait
Old 04-02-05, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
for sure....

Ghost World and American Splendor come to mind though
Despite Daniel Clowes participation, Ghost World wasn't all that faithful.
Old 04-02-05, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just got back from seeing the movie. Wow, most anticipated DVD of all-time.
Old 04-02-05, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, this jumps right to the top of my most-anticipated DVD stack along with "The Life Aquatic" (they're very similar movies, honest.)
Old 04-03-05, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If what Rodriguez said about a disc with the seperate stories is true, we may be anticipaiting a 3-disc-er.