Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Question Regarding Cheap DVD's

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-05, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Regarding Cheap DVD's

I have been researching the DVD/DVD-9 Region 1/Multi-region issues. I am trying to figure out what is legal/legit, and what is not.

Here are my questions:

These DVD-9's (high quality copies) are they being produced legally(licensed in their region)? Or are they breaking the law?

Also if I buy a DVD-9 from them and sell it advertised as a DVD-9 with actual artwork photos that I have am I breaking the law?

Are there any reputable dealers overseas? Or is anyone who offers me DVD's for $6.00 including shipping is probably not selling me legal copies.

I guess my question is, is this legal?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-31-05, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jbh5000
Are there any reputable dealers overseas? Or is anyone who offers me DVD's for $6.00 including shipping is probably not selling me legal copies.

You nailed it. There are reputable sellers from over seas, but the covers shouldn't say dvd9

you'll get burned when you play with fire....leave em alone
Old 03-31-05, 12:40 AM

But if they do say DVD-9 and you advertise it as DVD-9 is that pirating?

If it is Illegal then why would they mark them as DVD9? If they are breaking the law anyway why would they not use the regular artwork?
Old 03-31-05, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

yes it is illegal...it is stealing. Anyone who makes money off something they do not own is a thief. Whether they advertise it as dvd 9 or not....

The reason they mark them that way is so that the consumer knows they are paying for a bootleg. This keeps them from getting complaints about it being fake. everyone knows it, and when you buy them you have no reason to return it. They know that.
Old 03-31-05, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess my question is, is this legal?
No.

And with that, the thread can be closed.

Seriously, I can't believe you even felt the need to ask this question.

But if they do say DVD-9 and you advertise it as DVD-9 is that pirating?
You could take a bootleg and on the cover of it stamp on it in
BIG LETTERS the words "THIS IS A BOOTLEG!", but that doesn't make it any less illegal.
Old 03-31-05, 01:18 AM

Just to make this clear I have not done this. I am only trying to get to the botom of it.

Here is what I dont understand.

There are people on EBAY advertising their discs as DVD9's and they are in the US. How can they be getting away with this and why would they be so blatant if this was illegal?

Thats like saying I have some cocaine to sell you just bid on it and contact me I live In Somwherville, USA

How can they not be in jail?
Old 03-31-05, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There are people on EBAY advertising their discs as DVD9's and they are in the US. How can they be getting away with this and why would they be so blatant if this was illegal?
Ebay doesn't really care as long as they get paid. The sellers claim the bootlegs are imports and Ebay turns a blind eye since it is the responsibility of the copyright holder to police these issues rather than Ebay's responsibility. It has to a blatant violation (i.e. homemade DVD-R copy) for Ebay to take action.
Old 03-31-05, 01:47 AM

But how could the MPAA & the Studios just stand by and let all this go on?
Old 03-31-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They don't. If informed they shut down the sale. They save the big guns for the big guys. Alot of little people make a living selling boots but the big distro people are who they are after. China has a huge boot industry, I'm talking truck loads a day. That's who they have to stop. Here in Atlanta the cops stopped a ring that worked the flea markets. They got the printing machines, finished disc, and the suppliers all in some apartment.