Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Castle In The Sky - Defect in Closed Captions!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 03-27-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just finished watching the new "Castle in the Sky" DVD and noticed that near the end of the movie (about from the -8:00 point) that the closed captioning suddenly disappears. The normal subtitles continue to work just fine, the problem is only with closed captions. Has anybody else experienced this problem? Is this a known defect? Is Disney aware of it?
Old 03-27-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If there are subtitles, why is there closed captioning? Isn' that just doing the same thing?

Whenever I've seen CC, it skips so many words compared to subtitles which tend to have everything.
Old 03-27-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Closed Captions describe more of what is going on Resinrats while subtitles only hilight the dialogue.

Also from what I have seen,subtitles in terms of translating dialogue, are about the same as captions. They don't cover every word,but they do make it understandable what is being said. If they translated every single word,it would always be a few seconds behind the main action.

The worst sub and captions jobs are when they don't even translate an entire sentence.

Most will break them down into simply sentences by deleting a word or two. But some don't even finish the sentence if the dialogue is really fast and more than one person is talking. Thus makes them impossible to follow what is going on.

Anchorbay captions and Tromas subtitles on Toxic Avenger 4 have been the worst examples of this half-assed translating job.
Old 03-27-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Closed Captions describe more of what is going on Resinrats while subtitles only hilight the dialogue.
This isn't always true. I have plenty of DVDs that have "subtitles for the hearing impaired," which function much the same as closed captioning.

Because just about all movies and TV shows carry closed captioning these days for VHS and over-the-air broadcast, I can't help wondering if the CC stream is added early in the mastering process and therefore end up on the DVD only for that reason.
Old 03-27-05, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, seems that we have changed the topic of the thread into the difference between closed captioning and subtitles! Closec captions give additional information like "wind blowing" or "horn blows" or "strong music" or "dog barking" and so on, while subtitles just translate what they say.

But... can we please get back on topic? Please refer back to the original QUESTION which I posted???!!! Thank You so much in advance.
Old 03-27-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah but some early DVD players didn't send the CC signal for your TV to decode. My mom's old JVC is like that. I guess they usually put in both just in case.
Old 03-27-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Didn't play the whole movie but jumped towards the end. CC was working up until the last [woman singing in Japanese] closed caption. Then the credits rolled.

Not sure why yours stopped. Weird.
Old 03-28-05, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TomOpus, Thank you for checking for me. Weird!! Wonder why mine stops with 8 minutes still remaining? I even ejected the disc and checked it again, and at the minus 8 minute point the closed captions just stop. If I switch to normal subtitles they are okay, but going back to closed captions - still nothing there at all. Possible the defect is in ONE Disc only out of the thousands they produced? Doubtful. Could I get a few more people to check please?
Old 03-28-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's highly unlikely it's a defective disc. It seems to me that closed captions can be kind of sensative to the least bit of interference. I would suspect a player/disc compatibility issue.