Highlander: Raven 06.14.05

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-05, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it says 9 but shows 10 discs....????
Old 06-14-05, 12:48 PM
Banned

Taking another look at my Anchor Bay set and comparing it to the Legendary Hero set, it appears that they're two different sets. For one the disc art is different, and then the AB set is indeed only 9 discs (8 DVDs and 1 CD-ROM). I can't imagine what's on the 10th disc of the LH set.

The disc-by-disc breakdown on the AB set is 3 episodes per disc on the first 7 with interviews and commentaries. On the 8th DVD, there's 1 episode, interviews and a blooper reel. The 9th disc, the CD-ROM has the traditional extras, (scripts, bios, trivia, etc). In all of these AB sets, I have yet to look at any of these CD-ROMs. Just not interested in that sort of stuff.
Old 06-14-05, 01:46 PM
Banned

Ummm...some possibly bad news on this release.

It appears that the episodes are in a non-anamorphic 1.78 format. I'm playing the first disc on my computer via PowerDVD and it didn't do the anamorphic thing. It's playing them in a 4:3 box in widescreen.
Old 06-15-05, 11:59 AM

Dont play them on your PC then get it on a dvd player on a TV and see,

and if its true and they are not anamoprhic widescreen then they can burn in eternal HELL! cheap scum.
Old 06-15-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Were the shows widescreen? I thought this was 4:3 material like most, it's not that recent. All the Duncan series are 4:3. Or do you mean encoded in 16:9 with pillarboxing?

Good catch on the 10 discs. I think I'll probably pick this up next month from LH, then I'll see for sure.

I'm a little annoyed about the 2 versions. It seems really bizarre for a limited audience show like Highlander. I ended up with S1-4 from Anchor Bay, and S5 from LH, which is clearly different. Although S5 still came with an extras disc, so I don't know that the content is any different. And the box seems to fit in with the other 4, just a different color/artwork than the AB version. I still need to pick up S6 and Raven, and I'm not sure which to get.
Old 06-15-05, 08:28 PM

Does anyone know if there is a BestBuy exclusive version of this? On the BB website, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....cat61900050051, it shows a version with the exclusive banner on top of the box art, like the previous Highlander BestBuy exclusive versions.
All the ones I've seen at local BB's had plain versions with no indication there is anything extra included.
Has anyone bought a set from BestBuy, that was an exclusive version?
Old 06-16-05, 10:48 AM

just got my set from LH only 9 discs...
looking at the picture of the set on LH web site not 1 disc match the picts on my discs....
Old 06-16-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The BB set looks the same as the others. I think that webpage is probably BS.
Old 06-18-05, 09:32 PM

So I'm wondering if anyone purchased this set at a BestBuy store. Were there any copies that indicated any exclusive content on the cover? Or were there any BB exclusive features on a regular cover?
Only one review, at DVDFile made mention of a BB exclusive featurette, but doesn't say if it was from there or if all copies have this feature.
Spoke to a salesperson at BB.com's customer services number, but they where not very helpful.
I know it's not that big of a deal, but since the rest of my Highlander sets had the BB exclusives, it would be nice to finish it up.
Old 06-19-05, 03:38 PM

the BB exclusives ware the 9th disc with was a cd-rom...
my set from LH has that...
at BB I checked them out they had like 6 sets on the shelf.. all had 9 discs but no mention of bonus stuff....???
Old 06-24-05, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Ummm...some possibly bad news on this release. It appears that the episodes are in a non-anamorphic 1.78 format.
Can any body confirm if the 'Legendary Heroes' episodes are anamorphic widescreen?

'Mike Lowrey' mentions the 'Anchor Bay' discs are non-anamorpic.

cheers,

...BMatt
Old 06-24-05, 11:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BrunnenMatt
Can any body confirm if the 'Legendary Heroes' episodes are anamorphic widescreen?

'Mike Lowrey' mentions the 'Anchor Bay' discs are non-anamorpic.

cheers,

...BMatt
Without actually having a LH set to compare, and going on what Spiky said, I doubt there's any difference bewteen the two sets.
Old 06-24-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mike,
Are they stretched? Cropped? Was it aired cropped to 4:3? Do you have any idea why are they 1.78:1? I haven't picked this up yet, just dropped nearly $300 at DDD, so the Highlander sets are on the back burner.

I think you meant ds6161, not me. He got his at BB.
Old 06-24-05, 11:53 AM

My god!

I just stuck my Raven dvds on and yup its bloody not anamorhic! such a shame to see Anchor Bay produce dvds like this and I really feel ripped off now, its a bit of a joke really, if it was 1998 then I would be ok, but its 2005! we demand anamorphic widescreen on every release!

and hey check your sets when you get them, I just looked at mine and they are badly marked every single dvd, scratches, gouges and fingermarks! all small, but hey they may not work well.
Old 06-24-05, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the help, received email from 'Legendary Heroes' who also confirmed the disc are 1.78:1 Non-Anamorpic widescreen. WHY OH WHY?!?

...BMatt
Old 06-24-05, 04:22 PM

Its crazy that a company like Anchor Bay let this happen, shame on them if you ask me and I cannot say that much about Anchor Bay