Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Jaws rerelease 6/14/05 (with mono audio track included)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Jaws rerelease 6/14/05 (with mono audio track included)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too much intellectual talk in here!

JAWS ROCKS!!!!!!11!! Can't wait.
Old 03-27-05, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolutely, that's what the world needs. Less intelligent discussion.
Old 03-27-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PotVsKtl
Absolutely, that's what the world needs. Less intelligent discussion.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhAhahAHAHAHAHAAHA
Old 03-27-05, 05:34 PM
Retired

I'll keep my version as I prefer 5.1 remixes (though they should have put the mono on there for the purists) and don't like the movie enough to care about extras. Picture quality was fine on the original release IMO.
Old 03-27-05, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Intellect talk? People are just bitching about the soundtrack. We should discuss the merits and everlasting appeal of the film and why Spielberg is one of the most important directors of our time. But if the people want to keep battling away about a mono soundtrack versus a digital one, be my guest.
Old 03-27-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I'll keep my version as I prefer 5.1 remixes (though they should have put the mono on there for the purists)...
And there's the difference. You prefer multi-channel, yet don't call mono a scourge upon the cinematic industry, call for its banishment from the release, or run down those viewers who prefer to listen to it. What's the matter with you?
Old 03-27-05, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
And there's the difference. You prefer multi-channel, yet don't call mono a scourge upon the cinematic industry, call for its banishment from the release, or run down those viewers who prefer to listen to it.

Nicely put
Old 03-27-05, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Intellect talk? People are just bitching about the soundtrack. We should discuss the merits and everlasting appeal of the film and why Spielberg is one of the most important directors of our time. But if the people want to keep battling away about a mono soundtrack versus a digital one, be my guest.
This isn't the movie forum - they have every right to talk about the 5.1 vs. mono.

Yes, intellectual talk. All that 5.1/mono then going into gay marriage had my head spinning. BUT IT WAS A JOKE!

Last edited by conscience; 03-27-05 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-27-05, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts
Originally Posted by djtoell
If that's not what you intended, you went about it rather sloppily.
DJ
Correct. And I blame it on the chocolate. Since it's the perfect day for it, I shall now go and watch Life of Brian and maybe even flog myself a little.

Last edited by eXcentris; 03-27-05 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-28-05, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Count me in as one thankful for the mono soundtrack. I generally like well done remastered 5.1 soundtracks but not if they are going to change the sound effects. Hopefully they will include the two hour documentary as I have long wanted to see it in it's entirety.
Old 03-28-05, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dubya
Count me in as one thankful for the mono soundtrack. I generally like well done remastered 5.1 soundtracks but not if they are going to change the sound effects. Hopefully they will include the two hour documentary as I have long wanted to see it in it's entirety.
What? You didn't enjoy the bullet blowing up the shark at the end sounding more like glass breaking instead of the original ricochet sound? I agree, they should've never changed the original sound effects. To me, Jaws is Spielberg's best film(regardless of all the acclaims he gets from his Academy Award efforts). From start to finish this movie has the best entertainment value of any movie Spielberg ever made.

Last edited by Cocopugg; 03-28-05 at 05:17 AM.
Old 03-28-05, 08:54 AM
Banned

FYi...someone posted on another forum that the chopped up DVD documentary actually contains some things not included in the longer laserdisc documentary. Having only watched the laserdisc, I wasn't aware of this. Can anyone else confirm this?
Old 03-28-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Still holding on to my limited edition laserdisc of this one. I passed on the first DVD due to the documentary getting cut and the mono track being left off. Looks like this edition may be the one to get.
Old 03-28-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Perfectly happy with the DTS release so I'll be skipping this one, unless the extras blow me away or the transfer is improved (not likely). Im happy for Julie though...

The mono track just isn't reason enough for me to dip again, and I have plenty of older films with mono only tracks, so don't go there...
Old 03-28-05, 12:23 PM

I am seriously conflicted over this. I own the 25th Anniversary version, purchased in a moment of weakness. I can't sell it now, since I recently had the opportunity to tech a Peter Benchley public appearance, and he autographed my copies of the DVD and his book.

But there are not that many Oscar-winning soundtracks, and the original soundtrack of Jaws is one of them. That it was omitted from the original DVD has always struck me as insane.

Here's my contribution to the analogy festival:

Deleting the original Jaws soundtrack and substituting a new one is like having an impressionist dub Brando's dialog in The Godfather to make it more understandable.

I guess it's double-dippity-doo for me, too.

RichC
Old 03-28-05, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by rdclark
But there are not that many Oscar-winning soundtracks, and the original soundtrack of Jaws is one of them.

There has been at least one every year since 1930. We actually get two of them per year now.

DJ
Old 03-28-05, 01:31 PM

There has been at least one every year since 1930. We actually get two of them per year now.

DJ
Like I said, not that many. How many movies do you think there are, altogether?

RichC
Old 03-28-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since someone mentioned adding dialogue to silent films. You may be shocked to know that,that has actually been done before!

Charlie Chaplin dubbed some of his silent films and rereleased them once sound was born. We watched one of them in film class last semester and it was interesting to say the least.

No I am not saying it is a 'good' thing too do,but just letting you know,it has been done before..and alot earlier than you think!
Old 03-28-05, 01:45 PM

Like I said, not that many. How many movies do you think there are, altogether?
Sure, it's a small percentage of all the films ever made, but it's really not that special. If you were talking about one or two films, it might be something worthwhile. But about 75? That doesn't qualify as "not that many" films for me, especially when talking about something already as meaningless as an industry award. But, hey, whatever floats your boat.

DJ
Old 03-28-05, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sure, it's a small percentage of all the films ever made, but it's really not that special. If you were talking about one or two films, it might be something worthwhile. But about 75? That doesn't qualify as "not that many" films for me, especially when talking about something already as meaningless as an industry award. But, hey, whatever floats your boat.

DJ
And don't forget the other 400+ films considered at least worthy of a nomination for best sound in those 75 years.
Old 03-28-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts
But there are not that many Oscar-winning soundtracks, and the original soundtrack of Jaws is one of them. That it was omitted from the original DVD has always struck me as insane.

RichC
Whether a film has won an award or not should not enter into the equation. The original soundtrack should always be included. I don't think you'll find many film lovers who agree with substituting the original track with a remixed one. But you'll probably find that a majority of them don't have a problem with both being included.

Last edited by eXcentris; 03-28-05 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-28-05, 02:45 PM

DJ
What I'm pointing out, obviously, is how ridiculous it was to omit the Oscar-winning soundtrack from the 25th Anniversary DVD. Let's not get distracted by the definition of "not that many."

Let me put it this way: IMO, there aren't enough "Best Soundtracks" that we can afford to throw one away. I'm very pleased that it's being restored in the new edition.

RichC
Old 03-28-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I am seriously conflicted over this. I own the 25th Anniversary version, purchased in a moment of weakness. I can't sell it now, since I recently had the opportunity to tech a Peter Benchley public appearance, and he autographed my copies of the DVD and his book.
What exactly did he sign? If he signed the actual cover art (under the plastic covering), you could get the new version and swap the old cover art with the new. If he signed the outer plastic, you could just put the new edition's cover art in your old case. Then again, it would only hold one disc. Well, you could always just get the single-disc version. If he signed the disc itself, I guess you can't do anything.

Last edited by Drexl; 03-28-05 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-28-05, 03:19 PM

He signed the cover art.

It's not really that big a deal; mostly that I've always felt stupid for buying it in the first place, although having it available for Benchley to sign sort of redeemed that somewhat.

He was a very good speaker and quite easy to work with.

RichC
Old 03-28-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought that Benchley was already unhappy with some directions the film took, particularly with Hooper's character, no matter what the soundtrack. So maybe no version will be good enough.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.