Reload this Page >

Do you love SCTV? Watched Vol. 1-3 yet? Vol. 4 will be out before you know it

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 03-25-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I was checking out www.dvdplanet.com to see how much Vol. 3 costs there and noticed they have Vol. 4 up on the site. It says August 2 release date.

I've watched everything on Vol. 1 and better get started on Vol. 2. Don't want to get behind on panning for that comedy gold.

A friend of mine loves the show but never saw any from this season. He watched the ones before they went to 1.5 hours which I never saw. Although he LOVES those he has no real interest in watching these since he has no memory of them. Odd that. I think I'll make him watch some.

Last edited by Buford T Pusser; 03-25-05 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-25-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent news for Volume 4. These things must be selling successfully. I hope to have all six seasons of SCTV on DVD - it may take 10-12 volumes to reach that point.

What will be on Volume 4?

Last edited by Disc-Flipper; 03-25-05 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-25-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's four volumes just for one year. I'm not sure how many it would take for everything.

The best guide is here:

www.sctvguide.ca
Old 03-25-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just looked and they could get each of the first three season with one box set each.

Maybe one set for season six.

I guess vol. 4 is from season five and they'll probably have one more volume to finish that up. They show six shows in cycle four and six shows in cycle five. But the list price is the same. Hmmm.

The first three cycles had nine shows each.

If none of that made sense just go here: http://www.sctvguide.ca/episodes/index.htm
Old 03-25-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

While checking out www.tvshowsondvd.com I found this:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3163

SCTV Network 90 - 4th Volume on tap, plus 2 other releases!

Posted by David "The Man" Lambert
3/25/2005

DVDPlanet.com, the popular online retail source, has updated their system with new DVD releases of SCV Network 90. Not one, not two, but *3* new releases are on tap!

Fans who have been collecting SCTV on DVD already will be most interested to know about DVDPlanet's listing for the 6-DVD Volume 4 box set. It is shown as an August 2nd release, list pricing at $89.95 (but DVDPlanet's got the pre-orders available for just $62.97). No further word is available about the set yet, from either the retailer, from distributor Sony Music, or from the folks at Shout! Factory. Stay tuned, and we'll bring you more info - and cover art - as soon as we can.

But not every fan is ready to pop for the cost of these multi-disc sets, and a significant number of people have longed for more affordable DVDs from the series. Now, by popular demand, the first single SCTV DVD releases are on the way. These two DVDs are the first and second discs from the first box set release SCTV Net work 90 - Volume 1. Priced attractively for impulse shopping, these two DVDs feature two episodes each, plus bonus material. Both will be available on June 7th for a list price of $14.98 each (DVDPlanet sells them for $10.47, and you can pre-order both Disc 1 and Disc 2 right now).

SCTV Net work 90 - Disc 1: One On The Town & Polynesiantown Episodes runs 163 minutes and features musical guests Levon Helm and Dr. John. Bonus feature "SCTV Remembers": behind-the-scenes stories from Eugene Levy, Joe Flaherty, Catherine O'Hara, Andrea Martin and executive producer Andrew Alexander. Includes the first 90-minute show ever broadcast on NBC.

SCTV Net work 90 - Disc 2: Southside Fracas & The Sammy Maudlin Show: Bob Hope In China Episodes runs 158 minutes and features musical guests Southside Johnny & the Ashbury Jukes. Bonus feature is "Origins of SCTV", where Harold Ramis, Bernie Sahlins and others recount the comedic SCTV journey. Includes an episode that recaps some of the best segements from the first three seasons prior to the show moving to NBC.
Old 03-25-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts
Here's my presumption for a full release:

Seasons 1-3 (pre-N90) = 3 Volumes similar in size to the current N90 releases, 1 volume for each season.

Seasons 4-5 (N90) = 5 total volumes, 3 for season 4, 2 for the shorter season 5. So the next release (5th) would complete the N90 years, corresponding to Cycles 1 through 5.

Season 6 (the Cinemax shows) = The wild card. It could be 2 smaller releases, or 1 big release. Plus, the Cinemax involvement may make things more difficult.

I have never actually seen the Cinemax shows, so I will feel some level of completion after the first 5 seasons (8 probable volumes total) are released. But should they come out, I would love to see the Cinemax shows as well, so I will probably end up with 10 when it's all done.

Does anyone know how the sales of these are in fact doing? Especially when compared to other show releases? These are thankfully coming out much quicker than I could have hoped. Everyone should watch these.

An Buford, I am still going to see if I can't help get you into V3 before V4 comes out. I haven't been by that way much since I moved earlier this month. But give me some time...
Old 03-25-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Time is on my side.

Spoiler:
If you want my friend to burn the Get A Life discs he'll want a set too.

Last edited by Buford T Pusser; 03-25-05 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-25-05, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just wondering ... is season four of SCTV the most expensive single season of TV on DVD? At $89.95 (list) each for three sets, that's $269.95 for one season. I'm not a big TV-on-DVD enthusiast so I'm not sure. I watched all of these shows when they were first broadcast and I have 1-2 and will be getting 3-4 in the next few months.

I'm guessing the sets are more expensive because of the (extensive) music licensing. From what I have read there are only a few minor changes in the music to save money; granted I'm not the most obsessive fan but I wouldn't have noticed any of the omissions without having read about them first.
Old 03-25-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bill, your estimation of the set configurations for each season seems pretty spot on and in accord with my own prior assumptions. I believe we will see two more sets (volumes 4 and 5) that will effectively complete the NBC run of the show.

My hope is then that Shout Factory will go back and release the first three (syndicated) seasons of the show. Some of this material is repeated in the NBC shows, but much of it isn't and is some of the best stuff they did. My additional hope is that these season sets will be more economically priced, since they each would be comprised of about 25 or so half hour episodes, or about the standard of a common sit-com box set release. Additionally, they do not have the music rights cost issues that the NBC series does, which purportedly was one major reason for the premium price point of the current sets.

As for the Cinemax shows, I can really take them or leave them, depending on what the price might be. Most of the original cast was gone by then, and although there was some good material in them (the brilliant takeoff on David Lean's "Oliver Twist" starring Ed Grimley, for one), these shows really don't fully embody the spirit of SCTV to me.
Old 03-25-05, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Sex Fiend

As for the Cinemax shows, I can really take them or leave them, depending on what the price might be. Most of the original cast was gone by then, and although there was some good material in them (the brilliant takeoff on David Lean's "Oliver Twist" starring Ed Grimley, for one), these shows really don't fully embody the spirit of SCTV to me.
That's the impression I get, though I haven't seen them. Though from episode guides the first was a Maudlin driven episode. I firmly feel that the Sammy Maudlin world of characters (Maudlin, William B., Bittman, Heatherton, etc.) is some of the finest comedy to ever be written and performed. I would probably buy at least the first set out of curiosity and for Maudlin's Anniversary Special alone, name your price.
Old 03-25-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can I borrow your Volume 1?
Old 03-25-05, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero