Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Oy! Columbia! Stripes and Tears Of The Sun Extended Cuts Due June 7th!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Oy! Columbia! Stripes and Tears Of The Sun Extended Cuts Due June 7th!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But most comedies are like that,especially a film taking place in some type of 'squad'(military,police..whatever). They will always have a 'funny' training first half,with a more 'action comedy' to conclude the film second half.

Police Academy is another example with the riot ending. Yet neither film loses it's sense of humor durring those sequences and are still entertaining/amusing.

So it does'nt bother me at all,since where else would the film go? Just stay in training the entire time with no real conclusion/point? Sure we love the charecters when they are more 'childish' and 'wild'. But their charecters have to evolve somewhat in the end.

The only time I have a problem with some or many comedies for that matter. Is when they take themselves too damn seriouslly and lack a real sense of humor.
Old 03-29-05, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't mind picking upTears of the Sun if its a Director's Cut.Like the story.
Old 03-31-05, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 03-31-05, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Will gladly double dip for Stripes and glad I waited to pick up Tears..
Old 03-31-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
DVD File is stating that as of now there appears to be nothing extra coming in the Stripes release supplements (nothin' + nothin' = nothin'), just the extra 18 minutes in the feature itself.

That would be a damn shame.
Old 03-31-05, 11:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cameron
Love the cover and I've already pre-ordered it for less than $14. Can't beat that price. Comes out the same day as Star Trek: Insurrection - CE, also for less than $14. So combining these orders was a no-brainer.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 03-31-05 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-31-05, 09:45 PM

Not nothing...

Eighteen additional minutes incorporated back into the film (the six deleted sequences include the ten-minute "South America," "John's Apartment," "Stillman's Office," "You Two Volunteer," "The Chateau," and "Platoon in Trouble")

Audio commentary track with director Ivan Reitman and producer/writer Dan Goldberg

New hour-long documentary "Stars and Stripes" (featuring exclusive new interviews with the cast and filmmakers, including Harold Ramis, Judge Reinhold, John Larroquette, John Diehl, Sean Young, P.J. Soles and -- for the first time on DVD -- Bill Murray)
Old 03-31-05, 09:59 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Patrick Mirza
Not nothing...

Eighteen additional minutes incorporated back into the film (the six deleted sequences include the ten-minute "South America," "John's Apartment," "Stillman's Office," "You Two Volunteer," "The Chateau," and "Platoon in Trouble")

Audio commentary track with director Ivan Reitman and producer/writer Dan Goldberg

New hour-long documentary "Stars and Stripes" (featuring exclusive new interviews with the cast and filmmakers, including Harold Ramis, Judge Reinhold, John Larroquette, John Diehl, Sean Young, P.J. Soles and -- for the first time on DVD -- Bill Murray)
*Applauds*
Old 04-01-05, 08:17 AM

Eh, will just keep my current copy of Stripes.
Old 04-01-05, 08:21 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Love the cover...
Agreed - great cover.
Old 04-01-05, 08:21 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Not nothing...

Excellent -- can't wait to get my hands on this disc!
Old 04-01-05, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Excellent -- can't wait to get my hands on this disc!
Ditto, great news!
Old 04-01-05, 01:13 PM

Will it include both versions on this disc? Maybe through branching so you can watch either version? I don't want to get rid of my current version until I know that I like the extended version.

Last edited by SWR 1; 04-01-05 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-01-05, 05:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SWR 1
Will it include both versions on this disc? Maybe through branching so you can watch either version? I don't want to get rid of my current version until I know that I like the extended version.
Which movie you talking about? Stripes or Tears?
Old 04-01-05, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Which movie you talking about? Stripes or Tears?

Stripes
Old 04-01-05, 06:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SWR 1
Stripes
Doubt it, since seamless branching is one of those very rarely used DVD technologies. I just can't see them doing a seamless branch with a movie like Stripes.
Old 04-01-05, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Not nothing...

Glad to read the other source was incorrect. I would have bought it anyway, but this is much better.
Old 05-19-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

saw a commercial for Stripes last night before Star Wars on the big screen. it was in "the twenty" for those of you who have a regal cinema. Interviews were good, but Bill Murray seemed to be doing his in a strip club or something...weird lighting.
Old 05-28-05, 12:06 AM

Stripes review is up:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=16043
Old 05-28-05, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy crap that sounds like an awesome release!
Old 05-28-05, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

from the review

This DVD gives you the option to watch the theatrical cut or the extended edition with just one flick of the remote. What's the difference between the two versions? Six scenes that run about 18 minutes all told; watch the extended edition and each of the new scenes will be preceded by an onscreen signal. (Oddly, you cannot watch the extended cut without the new scene "markers.") Or you could simply stick with the theatrical version we all know and love -- and then watch all six of the new additions via the deleted scenes option.

and you just sold Cameron on the upgrade with that
Old 05-28-05, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nice review! Glad I already pre-ordered it! Now we need a review for Tears of the Sun.
Old 05-28-05, 12:58 AM

Holy crap that sounds like an awesome release!
Then my enthusiasm for this release made it into the review. Glad to hear it.

and you just sold Cameron on the upgrade with that
Yeah, I wanted to make sure that the readers know BOTH versions are available. It was important to me when I first heard about the release, so I assumed it'd be important for other fans as well.

Now we need a review for Tears of the Sun.
Yeah that one's my responsibility as well. Here's a really short version:

Movie still kinda sucks, only now it's longer. Not exactly sure what the "new" scenes are, but I'm told they're the deleted scenes from the previous release. Which means that there's not ONE new thing on this "Special Edition" aside from the fact that the old deleted scenes were jammed back into the movie.

I'll try to get that review up soon, but all you Tears of the Sun fans may as well just beat me up right now ... cuz I think this movie pretty much stinks.
Old 06-04-05, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Scott Weinberg

Yeah that one's my responsibility as well. Here's a really short version:

Movie still kinda sucks, only now it's longer. Not exactly sure what the "new" scenes are, but I'm told they're the deleted scenes from the previous release. Which means that there's not ONE new thing on this "Special Edition" aside from the fact that the old deleted scenes were jammed back into the movie.

I'll try to get that review up soon, but all you Tears of the Sun fans may as well just beat me up right now ... cuz I think this movie pretty much stinks.
Dear Reviewer:

I have one question to ask you about "Tears of the Sun" Dir. Cut DVD. As I checked the special features listed at DVDempire.com, there's one feature "Over 24-minutes of Never-before-seen footage" not included in the original SE version. I wonder if you could tell us if it is a new material or not.
Old 06-08-05, 05:31 AM

How is the new Stripes DVD, did anyone pick it up and watched it?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.