DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Goo-Gone, Oops!, ...paint thinner? Etc.

Old 03-24-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
Isn't driving 45 miles to swap it, kind of a deal breaker?
Maybe gas is cheaper where he lives?

Old 03-24-05, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by speedyray
However, I still fail to see how there is anyway to argue what you did was ok.
Originally Posted by me
I'm not denying that I took advantage of Best Buy (though I'm still uncertain it was at any expense to them), nor do I deny that I take advantage of them when I price-match a misprinted Target ad.
I'm unaware of what they do with each and every damaged film that's returned to them. If they all go to a liquidator, I assume they're getting something in return (in much the same way that they're getting something, namely $7.50, from the people price-matching their $25 West Side Story set). I won't deny that I've taken advantage of them, likely at a financial hit assuming they never send anything back to their distributors. I also admit that I'm taking advantage of them whenever I pricematch an ad that has no business being honored.

I just think the outcry is hypocritical when the site promotes the posting of misprinted Target ads to be pricematched elsewhere, or Blockbuster's misprint of a South Park collection for 1/5 the price...all things that are a financial burdon on the respective franchises. Both instances are taking advantage of franchises at a cost to their overhead...I'm condemned for one, while another has it's own forum. Silly.

Originally Posted by Cameron
Isn't driving 45 miles to swap it, kind of a deal breaker?
45 minutes, not miles. About 35 miles round trip. Traffic is a bitch in Houston.

-JP
Old 03-24-05, 09:30 PM
ams

Taking advantage of a misprice is alot different from returning a damaged used item as new.
Old 03-24-05, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm surprised that a mod hasn't locked this thread yet.
Old 03-24-05, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by ams
Taking advantage of a misprice is alot different from returning a damaged used item as new.
Both have the same effect on the store's financial status (a negative one)...they're only "different" because you're used to one being accepted as okay.

-JP
Old 03-24-05, 09:47 PM
ams

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
Both have the same effect on the store's financial status (a negative one)...they're only "different" because you're used to one being accepted as okay.

-JP
One is unethical and illegal(usually)......the other is a misprice.
Old 03-24-05, 09:48 PM

How is taking advantage of an obvious error at somebody else's expense not unethical?

-JP
Old 03-24-05, 09:51 PM
ams

Originally Posted by William Shakespeare
The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
Old 03-24-05, 09:53 PM

Way to not respond to my post.

-JP
Old 03-24-05, 09:55 PM
ams

If you do not understand the difference, I am not interested in getting in an e-argument with you. Be proud, be real proud.
Thank you, that is all.
Old 03-24-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr

-JP
I actually agree with this. The pawn shop/Best Buy thing was blatantly unethical.

The PMing of a misprice is also wrong but ppl consider it ok cuz they rationalize that the store doing the PM has the right to reject it. If you know that it's wrong, why are you trying the PM in the first place?
Old 03-24-05, 10:09 PM
ams

Two wrongs make a right?

You rationalize one unethical behavior by saying that many people participate in another unethical behavior?
Old 03-24-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I use "Un Du" and it works like a charm.
Old 03-24-05, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by ams
Two wrongs make a right?

You rationalize one unethical behavior by saying that many people participate in another unethical behavior?
I rationalize it in a different way altogether (and rationalizing my actions isn't something I feel the need to do for anybody other than myself). No, right now I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy shown by the people here who are jumping on me, when they (as often as they can) do something that is just as unethical and detrimental to the stores they're trying to "stand up for."

-JP
Old 03-25-05, 01:06 AM

I've always been a Goo-Gone guy, but I don't like how it smells. One time, I was in my local used CD place, and showed the counter guy a DVD was considering, but it was kind of smudgy and a little scratched. I wanted to see if they'd lower the price or promise me I could return it if it was defective, but instead, the guy just took the disc from it's case, and proceeded to spray Goo-Gone DIRECTLY ON THE SHINEY SIDE OF THE DISC! Yikes! "Can you do that?!?", I wondered aloud. "Oh sure, works like a charm", the guy told me, as he rubbed the disc down. So I bought the disc and never had a problem with it. Weird huh? But to this day, I can't bring myself to spray Goo-Gone directly onto my DVDs.

Guess that's a bit off topic in this thrad as it is now, but there you go anyway.

JIM T
Old 03-25-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All the scams listed in this thread are unethical. However, only the return at BB was illegal due to exchanging used for new. I can't believe you'd go to all this length just for Jerry Maguire.

GooGone won't destroy plastic, paint thinner will. I often use Goof-Off for some heavy cleaning, but not on plastic because it eats it. Sounds like this Oops is similar. They are essentially paint thinner in a little bottle. If you're bored, compare the active ingredients to various thinners, I forget exactly which one it was, but it's almost identical to a common thinner. Good for cleaning tar or grease off metal and other non-plastic and non-porous surfaces. I would be cautious about wood, also.

GooGone, OTOH, is basically a strong household cleaner using citric acid, just like so many popular cleaners today. Much safer.
Old 03-25-05, 10:29 AM
PSJ

Yeah Jim, I'll completely cover a disc with Goo-Gone to remove sticky stuff, then use regular hand soap to remove the oily Goo-Gone. Or just hand soap to remove greasy fingerprints, for example. I used this technique many times to remove those big disc labels from Blockbuster discs, but you have to go slowly. It's also good for removing stickers from keepcases.

Paul
Old 03-25-05, 06:35 PM

I don't get it. Everyone here talks about Goo-Gone being great, but it never works for me. It'll take the stickers off, but there is always a layer of sticky stuff left over. Am I that incompetent that I can't get Goo-Gone to work right?
Old 03-25-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never used Goo-Gone. For plastic surfaces, I've always used WD-40. Works like a charm. For paper surfaces, I've never had a single problem removing stickers by simply peeling them very carefully. I've seen lots of people complain that stickers ruin their slipcases or whatever no matter how careful they are, but I've honestly never had that problem. It makes me wonder what method they're actually using.
Old 03-25-05, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Adiras
I don't get it. Everyone here talks about Goo-Gone being great, but it never works for me. It'll take the stickers off, but there is always a layer of sticky stuff left over. Am I that incompetent that I can't get Goo-Gone to work right?
if there's a ton of sticky residue, you have to use the goo-gone quite a bit. Keep applying more to a towel.

When peeling off the stickers, do it slowly so that you can get most of the residue off without using the goo-gone.

Goo-Gone also makes a sticker lifter that works ten times better for just stickers.
Old 03-25-05, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I use OOps on used cases to get the sticky residue off. You dont want to use it on the disc unless you want to say bye bye to it. As far as ripping on NatrlBornThrllr on here for what he has done I don't agree with it. There are a lot of hipocritical things that have been said in this thread when comparing them to what many threads on this site are about. Many people on this site look for a way to get over on someone and sometimes this means getting a deal at the fault of someone else. Knowing that Target usually does not accept their price error for their special editions, many people on this site go elsewhere in hopes for a price match. I know that I have done it and this is why I'm not ripping on NatrlBornThrllr for what he has done. I do realize what he has done is a bit different than price matching but in the end it still costs the retailer. There probably could have been a better solution to his problem and maybe he'll consider other options next time before taking the same route. I know that I have been hammered on here a few times for simply stating my opinion about dvds and such. I think too many people on this site look for things to trash others without reflecting on themselves before they open their mouths.
Old 03-25-05, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't run into many sticker problems these days, and I don't buy used....but I've always used a dab of zippo lighter fluid and a cotton ball in the past. I've used it a few times on slipcases and it's never harmed anything. Dab, pull and then buff it out.

Just don't go nuts with the shit.
Old 03-25-05, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was going to write a lengthy response, but this sums it up best. Some people are thieves. If anyone is still wondering why Best Buy started to categorize their customers, this thread illustrates a valid reason.
Old 03-25-05, 10:42 PM

Good thing the thread wasn't getting back on topic, or else your post would have derailed it all over again.

Oh wait......

-JP
Old 03-25-05, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I use OOps on used cases to get the sticky residue off. You dont want to use it on the disc unless you want to say bye bye to it. As far as ripping on NatrlBornThrllr on here for what he has done I don't agree with it. There are a lot of hipocritical things that have been said in this thread when comparing them to what many threads on this site are about. Many people on this site look for a way to get over on someone and sometimes this means getting a deal at the fault of someone else. Knowing that Target usually does not accept their price error for their special editions, many people on this site go elsewhere in hopes for a price match. I know that I have done it and this is why I'm not ripping on NatrlBornThrllr for what he has done. I do realize what he has done is a bit different than price matching but in the end it still costs the retailer. There probably could have been a better solution to his problem and maybe he'll consider other options next time before taking the same route. I know that I have been hammered on here a few times for simply stating my opinion about dvds and such. I think too many people on this site look for things to trash others without reflecting on themselves before they open their mouths.
Also, thanks. I really do appreciate it. I don't come here to be bashed, despite any wrongdoings I may have committed...especially not on a site where similar acts (in ends, if not means) are often committed, promoted and even bragged about. I can understand those who disagree with what I did...but the majority of people here, those who speak out against my actions before evaluating their own, are hypocrites in my eyes, to say the least. Had every post in this thread been similar to yours (saying hey, you were wrong...but we've all done something to get over a franchise at one time or another), I wouldn't have gotten as defensive, and this thread wouldn't have strayed nearly as far off topic as it did.

-JP

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.