DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Nutsy Cuckoo Ebay DTS LD Auction

Old 03-22-05, 11:29 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Dark City
Posts: 4,218
Nutsy Cuckoo Ebay DTS LD Auction

No, I'm not affiliated in any way, but this auction excites the LD geek in me.

DTS LD

PS. If any of you out there win this, I demand one of the DTS LD's as a finders fee.

Last edited by chente; 03-22-05 at 01:29 PM.
chente is offline  
Old 03-22-05, 11:43 AM
  #2  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,495
111 discs at the current bid of $1,926.01... ah, I think not.
Giles is offline  
Old 03-22-05, 12:05 PM
  #3  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,957
Man, he's going to make a killing off of this. I never experienced DTS from LD and can only imagine how amazing it sounds...as LD always has superior audio. Wow. Have to keep watching the auction to see what the end result is.
digitalfreaknyc is offline  
Old 03-22-05, 12:12 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Dark City
Posts: 4,218
I still haven't been able to get my hands on a DTS LD to test out since they usually sell for $30 and up on ebay and I don't really want to pay that much. The amazing thing is that he has 110 of the 112 titles with DTS ever produced in the US.
chente is offline  
Old 03-22-05, 01:05 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 12,489
And you get a DTS ballcap too!!!!!!!11111

I've never picked up a DTS LD either, but I've heard that many sound amazing. Less compression and much more range and dynamics than their DVD counterparts (depending on title). I believe that the DTS company did the mastering on the early titles themselves, and went all out on them. These things are basically like vinyl is to audiophiles.
cultshock is offline  
Old 03-22-05, 01:18 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 23,226
Vinyl.
PixyJunket is offline  
Old 03-22-05, 01:30 PM
  #7  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,495
Originally Posted by cultshock

I've never picked up a DTS LD either, but I've heard that many sound amazing. Less compression and much more range and dynamics than their DVD counterparts (depending on title).
for instance, the DTS LD trounces the Dolby Digital track on the DVD edition of Toy Story.
Giles is offline  
Old 03-22-05, 01:31 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Formerly known as (ahem) "LASERMOVIES"/California
Posts: 9,464
I have about 20 DTS titles on laserdisc but never had the desire to own all of them. I think the sound quality was a little overhyped at times but some of them are amazing. A few of my favorites were Jurassic Park, Casper, the Rock and Crimson Tide. There also are a few I regret not getting like Toy Story, Independence Day, and Titanic.
Laser Movies is offline  
Old 03-22-05, 01:34 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 610
Originally Posted by cultshock
like vinyl is to audiophiles.
Some audiophiles. We're not all whack-jobs.


RichC
rdclark is offline  
Old 03-22-05, 02:10 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TC, MI
Posts: 735
I also have a complete collection of DTS laserdiscs from the US and I'm still working on all the Japanese releases. He would make a lot more selling individual titles, but it would be more work. The US disc that took me the longest to track down was Eric Clapton: Unplugged.

Last edited by ScottsDvds; 03-22-05 at 02:12 PM.
ScottsDvds is offline  
Old 03-22-05, 02:52 PM
  #11  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,957
which is he missing?
digitalfreaknyc is offline  
Old 03-22-05, 02:58 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TC, MI
Posts: 735
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
which is he missing?
Rob Roy and Six Days and Seven Nights, both are tough to find.
ScottsDvds is offline  
Old 03-22-05, 07:14 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Posts: 4,590
Q: Hello Seller, 1.Do you accept a Cashier Check/ Usps moneyorder as a mode of payment , 2 Will you be able to transfer the excess fund to the shipping company in westafrica for the arrangement of the pick up from your house down to my client if you . mail me ur full name and ur contact address so that the check can be issue out . I will be awaiting your email soonest. Answered on Mar-20-05
A: Absolutely not. Please do not bid on any of my auctions.
[NelsonMuntz]Ha-Ha![/NelsonMuntz]
littlefuzzy is offline  
Old 03-22-05, 07:29 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: 1436 Florence Blvd.
Posts: 2,148
Originally Posted by littlefuzzy
Q: Hello Seller, 1.Do you accept a Cashier Check/ Usps moneyorder as a mode of payment , 2 Will you be able to transfer the excess fund to the shipping company in westafrica for the arrangement of the pick up from your house down to my client if you . mail me ur full name and ur contact address so that the check can be issue out . I will be awaiting your email soonest. Answered on Mar-20-05
A: Absolutely not. Please do not bid on any of my auctions.
419 Scam. Smart seller.
DrGerbil is offline  
Old 03-22-05, 07:32 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Dark City
Posts: 4,218
Originally Posted by DrGerbil
419 Scam. Smart seller.
what's a 419 scam?
chente is offline  
Old 03-22-05, 07:38 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: 1436 Florence Blvd.
Posts: 2,148
Nigerian transfer fraud.

In a newer version of the scam, the scammer offers to buy some expensive item (which the victim advertised on eBay, for example) by official, certified, bank or cashier's check. The check will have an "accidentally" or mutually agreed higher value than the price of the item, so the scammer asks the victim to wire the extra money to some third party as soon as the check clears. The check typically clears after one or two days, but the fact that it is counterfeit is not detected until several days or weeks later, by which time the victim has sent the item and the "additional money" to the scammer and his representative. Most banks will hold the victim accountable for the value of the counterfeit check.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/419_scam
http://www.419eater.com/

Last edited by DrGerbil; 03-22-05 at 07:43 PM.
DrGerbil is offline  
Old 03-22-05, 08:06 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Dark City
Posts: 4,218
Originally Posted by DrGerbil
Nigerian transfer fraud.

In a newer version of the scam, the scammer offers to buy some expensive item (which the victim advertised on eBay, for example) by official, certified, bank or cashier's check. The check will have an "accidentally" or mutually agreed higher value than the price of the item, so the scammer asks the victim to wire the extra money to some third party as soon as the check clears. The check typically clears after one or two days, but the fact that it is counterfeit is not detected until several days or weeks later, by which time the victim has sent the item and the "additional money" to the scammer and his representative. Most banks will hold the victim accountable for the value of the counterfeit check.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/419_scam
http://www.419eater.com/

That 419eater.com site is a laugh riot.
chente is offline  
Old 03-22-05, 08:43 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
TheNightFlier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NIMBY, NY
Posts: 5,909
Originally Posted by littlefuzzy
[NelsonMuntz]Ha-Ha![/NelsonMuntz]



Thats quite a collection he's got. Wonder why he wants to dump it? He probably could've made a lot more sellling them separate on different forums, granted it might take longer.
TheNightFlier is offline  
Old 03-22-05, 11:10 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
speedyray's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Kingston, TN
Posts: 2,309
If I had the money to blow, I might bid on the set. That is a lot of DTS goodness.
speedyray is offline  
Old 03-22-05, 11:15 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Docking Bay 94
Posts: 14,259
Holy crap on a stick! That's a pretty sweet collection. Damn, I may actually consider bidding on this... there's not a another chance in hell of me acquiring all of these individually. Hmmm...
bboisvert is offline  
Old 03-22-05, 11:41 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Dark City
Posts: 4,218
Originally Posted by bboisvert
Holy crap on a stick! That's a pretty sweet collection. Damn, I may actually consider bidding on this... there's not a another chance in hell of me acquiring all of these individually. Hmmm...
Remember my finder's fee if you win!
chente is offline  
Old 03-23-05, 01:36 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 19,130
the guy selling them just must have given up trying to get them all.
it's strange that he is selling them because relatively recently he was trying to buy as many of them as he could over on htf.
whotony is offline  
Old 03-28-05, 12:01 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Dark City
Posts: 4,218
$3,135.00!
chente is offline  
Old 03-28-05, 05:55 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Kane County
Posts: 815
SHINE had a wonderful DTS LD track
DVD NDN is offline  
Old 03-28-05, 07:25 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 12,306
Originally Posted by chente
$3,135.00!
holy crap...
Cameron is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.