Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Wild Bunch: Anyone else want a new DVD release?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 03-22-05, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just did a search for that film here, for some reason, and it came up with only one thread and it was from way back in '00. Since then, I don't think we've had a new release of this DVD in R1. What are the chances of this film EVER getting the proper treatment? Are there even any rumors of a new release for this one?

Is R2 or R4 the way to go on this one?
Old 03-22-05, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Warner is working on a Sam Peckinpah box set for a 2005 release....the getaway is being released with the steve mcqueen box set, so its coming...

check this out...

Some News on 2005 Peckinpah Releases

an excerpt
If this isn't enough for Peckinpah fans, Redman and film editor Paul Seydor (Cobb, Tin Cup) will follow up their Oscar nominated documentary The Wild Bunch: An Album in Montage with A Simple Adventure Story: Sam Peckinpah, Mexico and The Wild Bunch, a new documentary which will feature newly discovered color outtake footage from The Wild Bunch as well as new footage exploring the Mexican locations where the film was shot. The documentary will premiere at the American Cinematheque in late February and also show at the Cannes Film Festival.
Old 03-22-05, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Major Dundee: Extended Cut also just got a release date for 05.31.05
and bring me the head of pedro garcia is out today, so grab it up
Old 03-22-05, 02:05 AM

Warner's Peckinpah box has been delayed until 2006.

The following was posted Feb 24th by BWilson at the Criterion Forum:
Here's some new gossip:

I attended the screening at The American Cinematheque in LA last night. Paul Seydor, Nick Redman, and several other Peckinpah fanatics were there. They said:

1. That Warners is working on a Peckinpah box set
2. The box set will contain all of Warner's Peckinpah holdings: The Wild Bunch, Cable Hogue, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, Ride the High Country, and The Getaway
3. That the DVD and box set have been delayed and will be released 1 year from now in Feb. 2006
4. To much astonishment, Nick Redman said that the Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid DVD will contain a NEW cut of the film. How this will differ from Roger Spottiswood's extended cut from the mid-80's was not indicated
5. Nick Redman's new doc about The Wild Bunch (A Simple Adventure Story) will be on the Wild Bunch DVD
6. We were shown the new trailer for Colombia's rerelease of Major Dundee. LQ Jones nararates the trailer. It's kind of a lame trailer, but the picture quality and the bits of the new score were excellent. I can't wait for this.
Old 03-22-05, 09:30 AM

that sucks.
Old 03-22-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Geofferson
that sucks.
I've waited so long for a special edition of the WILD BUNCH (not to mention the other Peckinpah films) that I can stand to wait a few more months. Besides, I trust Warner Bros. If they are taking their time in putting the set together, I'm sure it's because that time is needed to make the edition truly special.
Old 03-22-05, 10:08 PM

I've waited this long for a SE of the Wild Bunch, I guess I can wait until 2006.
Old 03-23-05, 11:21 PM

Quote : I've waited this long for a SE of the Wild Bunch, I guess I can wait until 2006'

You spoken for me too Timmy ! I have the Director's Cut Laserdisc of The Wild Bunch
and it's in DD 5.1. When the DVD comes out you bet it will be in my collection.Patience
prevail.
Old 03-23-05, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
I've waited so long for a special edition of the WILD BUNCH (not to mention the other Peckinpah films) that I can stand to wait a few more months. Besides, I trust Warner Bros. If they are taking their time in putting the set together, I'm sure it's because that time is needed to make the edition truly special.
Ditto. I mean it isn't like I don't have hundreds of other DVD's to watch. The one I'm waiting on is Ride the High Country, which to me is not only Peckinpah's best film but one of the great westerns.
Old 03-23-05, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another disappointed, but will patiently wait fan of The Wild Bunch.
Old 03-24-05, 12:22 AM

I saw the new print they made of this over at the Pacific Film Archive last summer, and it looked fantastic from what I remember.
Old 03-24-05, 12:45 AM

The current print isn't bad at all considering the age of the movie. Only prob I have is that it is a flipper. This was one of my first DVDs.
Old 03-24-05, 05:47 AM

I couldn't hold off any longer and got the disc that was out now from the CH action sale. A good price for it but I am anxiously awaiting the Peckinpah box next year (Ballad of Cable Hogue!).
Old 03-24-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sigh... The wait goes on.

I had the shitty non-anamorphic flipper and dumped it years ago. Terrible DVD.