Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Major Studios letting smaller one release their DVDs

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 03-18-05, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I checked and couldn't find a matching thread. If it's a repeat, my appologies. I wanted to get Modern Problems, The Turning Point, Project X, Dutch, Jack the Bear and a couple more, but when I looked at these new releases, they're released by Anchor Bay. All these titles are Fox titles.

First Columbia gave Goodtimes the rights for some of their movies. When that ended Universal gave Goodtimes and Image the rights. That's now ended. Now Fox has given Anchor Bay the rights.

I wouldn't buy any of those. When Universal got the rights back about 5 years later, I started buying the Universal releases. Does anyone else hate them for doing this?
Old 03-18-05, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure what your problem is here.

Goodtimes and Image are pretty much crap studios for the most part, I'll give you that, but they did release movies that the bigger studios didn't have time for during the DVD heyday. Now that most of the catalog titles are out, they have time to release them, so obviously the versions the studio puts out for their stuff will be slightly better most of the time.

Anchor Bay however, is a wonderful studio for DVD releases. If you look at their track record, they do give a lot of titles the respect they deserve.

No one was bitching during the Laserdisc days when Criterion got the rights to a lot of movies from the major studios.
Old 03-18-05, 08:41 AM

I'll admit, Anchor Bay is a good company but I would still rather have Fox release these. I'll wait, maybe by then the Blu-Ray / HD-DVD war will be over. I never got into laserdiscs because I knew compact size discs would be coming soon.

Last edited by darkhawk; 03-18-05 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-18-05, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I just hate it when more movies get released on DVD, rather than less movies.
Old 03-18-05, 09:20 AM

What difference does it make who releases it? As long as the quality is good I could care less what name is on the box.
Old 03-18-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darkhawk
Does anyone else hate them for doing this?
Why should I care? Seriously... this usually happens with lesser films that the larger studios is ignoring or doesn't really plan to release. I really don't care what DVD company is listed on the spine... I just care about the movie getting released.

I really don't understand your post.
Old 03-18-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't say Image is crap....they have put out some great silent films, and early sci fi. A few good docs here and there... As for Anchor Bay, they have done a great job with some titles...Look at the divimax series, and the collector tins...I doubt fox would ever put that kind of work into some of their meager titles. Buy them up, its good stuff.
Old 03-18-05, 12:14 PM

Yeah, I also have no problem with Anchor Bay getting the rights to major studio titles. Their DVDs usually have great transfers, they support DTS 6.1-ES audio, they always make an effort to include supplements, and best of all, their releases are all marketed really cheap.