Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Rant: Incredibles at Best Buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts
I'll sell you my slipcover for $20. I have Nemo as well but that one is $50.
Old 03-16-05, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'll sell you my slipcover for $20. I have Nemo as well but that one is $50.
Hey Michael thanks but I really don't care about slipcovers...personally the less cardboard the better. Heck I might throw away my Incredibles Slipcover cause it looks like a snapper.
Old 03-16-05, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn slipcover thieves!

Old 03-16-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts
I'm just throwing it out there. If anyone actually pays for those... . Anyone thinking of hocking them on ebay?
Old 03-16-05, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't even bother with BB. Got mine at CC with no fuss. Passed on the B-Ball, though. Nice idea, but I hardly have use for a regular sized one let alone a mini INCREDIBLES basketball.
Old 03-16-05, 11:11 PM

Target had a gazillion copies with slipcovers. The idiots at Circuit City had a dinky little section (enough to fill 24 copies) and they were sold out. Merchandiser didn't have the brain to stock up on this title. Guess they didn't want the business.
Old 03-17-05, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
don't know if this is true for all stores, but I work at TRU, and I noticed the Widescreen copies of the Incredibles have those tab locks on the side and the full screen ones dont. just a random little tidbit.
Old 03-17-05, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by resinrats
While I could care less, I know people here that would go to war to keep slipcovers coming.
Seriously? I think they're a nuisance and throw them away.
Old 03-17-05, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
don't know if this is true for all stores, but I work at TRU, and I noticed the Widescreen copies of the Incredibles have those tab locks on the side and the full screen ones dont. just a random little tidbit.
FWIW, I got mine at CC and it didn't have the annoying tabs on the side.
Old 03-17-05, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maxflier
As easy as it is to take the slipcase off and put another DVD inside,it's just as easy for the cashiers to check to make sure they match.I wonder why they don't just start doing that.
At the BestBuy in Chelea NYC, when I Heart Huckabees came out, I picked up a copy of the SE and it felt light. I pulled the DVD out of the keepcase and sure enough it was the single-disc version. I got there pretty early (I think at 10 AM and they opened at 9AM). I told a clerk about it who was pretty shocked. She thanked me and her and a yellow jacket security guy walked all around the store to see if there were others like that. While I was online, I saw the security guy telling the cashiers to check under the slipcover to see if the DVD matches.
Old 03-17-05, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
I didn't even bother with BB. Got mine at CC with no fuss. Passed on the B-Ball, though. Nice idea, but I hardly have use for a regular sized one let alone a mini INCREDIBLES basketball.
you should've just taken it so you could give it away as a gift.
Old 03-17-05, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No problems at Best Buy in Southgate, MI. Then again, I've never had an unpleasant experience there. There's a BB in Novi that isn't quite up to their standards though.

That slipcase swapping/stealing thing is a little low...
Old 03-17-05, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
you should've just taken it so you could give it away as a gift.
Perhaps, but I don't know anyone who'd be in the market for such an item.

And I can do without the slipcovers, but for the record, this one is pretty snazzy and I think it adds a bit to the cover design.
Old 03-17-05, 08:18 AM

You know what pisses me off more than anything with Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart etc. is when DVD’s have slip covers that aren’t covered in plastic(Most of them) they slap there damn Price sticker right on the Slipcover in the most inopportune spot they can and use THE stickiest glue I believe they could find. When you peel it off either a) it just tears off and leaves half of it there or b) it leaves that nasty sticky residue. Come on stores work with us collectors here maybe put it on the actual DVD which IS covered in plastic instead of the nice slipcase. Those things have gotten me on ton’s of DVD’s.

Rant over, lol.
Old 03-17-05, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe the other people have finally learned their lesson and bought just widescreen only. That's why their sold out
Old 03-17-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by M Polo
You know what pisses me off more than anything with Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart etc. is when DVD’s have slip covers that aren’t covered in plastic(Most of them) they slap there damn Price sticker right on the Slipcover in the most inopportune spot they can and use THE stickiest glue I believe they could find. When you peel it off either a) it just tears off and leaves half of it there or b) it leaves that nasty sticky residue. Come on stores work with us collectors here maybe put it on the actual DVD which IS covered in plastic instead of the nice slipcase. Those things have gotten me on ton’s of DVD’s.

Rant over, lol.
Dvds are shipped from the manufacturer that way. Stores generally don't do the shrinkwrapping themselves. Many also arrive at stores prepriced as well. While it would be better for us if the companies removed the slipcases, priced the shrinkwrap, and put them back on, it's probably much more time-consuming to do it that way.
Old 03-17-05, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by BassDude
Mine had plenty, but i was there at lunch yesterday. Also got the litho.

Funny ya said ya had ta find a clerk.. i couldn't locate First Contact anywhere and had ta ask if they had any left. it was filed under TV SHOWS!!!
OMG! Same thing out here at my store. I looked a the table up front, peaked at the new release section, made a b line to the sci-fi section and nadda. Went back and took a full pass by the new releases and then found somebody after 5 minutes. He looked it up and started to head towards the tv shows and I was thinking "Wrong place buddy". I told him they were in the wrong place and he should tell his manager. I think he was some 16 year old and didn't really care.

Anyway, I think it looks better without the slip case. Maybe it's a Disney dvd owner thing?.... I'd just as soon not have it on mine.
Old 03-17-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No First Contact at the BB next to me either. I ended up going to CC. i was going to price match CC at BB but so it goes.
Old 03-17-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
My friend got my copy at CC and i had no issues peeling off the stickers and UPC label. In fact, this was probably the easiest time i've had with taking them off the slipcover. Maybe it was because of the already glossy cover.

As for Best Buy, since the built a new one across the street from CC, i've pretty much only been going to Best Buy. Far bigger and better selection.
Old 03-17-05, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Dvds are shipped from the manufacturer that way. Stores generally don't do the shrinkwrapping themselves. Many also arrive at stores prepriced as well. While it would be better for us if the companies removed the slipcases, priced the shrinkwrap, and put them back on, it's probably much more time-consuming to do it that way.

Are you sure about that? I only ask becuase I've noticed that dvd's I buy at Best Buy has the thin black security tag right on the middle of the case. DVD's I've bought at CircuitCity has the wider tab (black or white) and most of the time they attach it behind the insert.
Old 03-17-05, 11:12 AM

I picked up The Incredibles at Ultimate Electronics, not usually known for their great prices on DVDs. Not only was the DVD only $11.85, but it also came with a $5 gift card to Ultimate Electronics. Not a bad deal!!!
Old 03-17-05, 11:18 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I am pissed off, even though I only paid $11.62 at CVS, all the chains only had the Fullscreen version - grrr.
Old 03-17-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gutwrencher
I forgot about the bonus litho until the young hot blonde at the register reminded me.
Pics?
Old 03-17-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by darkhawk
Maybe the other people have finally learned their lesson and bought just widescreen only. That's why their sold out
You mis-read the first post. There was an equal amount of fullscreen and widescreen. But only the fullscreen had slipcases.
Old 03-17-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NitroJMS
If you think that's bad, I can get to 5, maybe 6, within 30 minutes of my house.
Pfftt. Try a dozen or more here, plus both recent locations of their world headquarters.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.