Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Just watched "The Incredibles" DVD - AWESOME

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spiky
I think you're alone in this. We just showed it to some people who had never seen it. If it hadn't been too late, they would've picked up a copy on the way home. This movie was riddled with humor and imitations of superhero and spy movies from the past.
Please explain where it was RIDDLED with humor....I found a few funny parts, but nothing to write home about.

I personally thought Finding Nemo had more humorous parts
Old 03-21-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by cardaway
As for the music feature, they could have just said we ripped off the early Bond music. If they movie had a flaw, it was the music.
I liked the blatant homage to John Barry's Bond scores. I thought it was fun and I'm a big John Barry fan. What I didn't like was not flat out admitting to it versus just calling it 60's music. That was a quite lame. I wonder whether some Pixar/Disney lawyer muzzled them.
Old 03-21-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Please explain where it was RIDDLED with humor....I found a few funny parts, but nothing to write home about.

I personally thought Finding Nemo had more humorous parts
I think Finding Nemo was great too but can't the humor in the film be judged on its own merits versus some film you appreciated more?

To my thinking the film works on two different levels. One, the story of the Incredibles. Two, the constant and unrelenting references to other films (thus films within a film). So, like a Warner Brothers cartoon, kids can enjoy the story and adults can enjoy the story and all the winking going on.

I particularly liked the attacking device slowly sinking in the water with its legs nestling to the bottom - an homage to the film Octopussy. Admittedly, references rarely would be a laugh out loud film moment - but touches of humor nonetheless.
Old 03-22-05, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did anyone spot any haloing in this movie? I had two instances that I noticed, and did not know if anyone had the same experience. I tried a search, but it did not return any results.

The first one was when there was a flashback to when Mr. Incredible told Buddy that he wanted worked alone. My TV showed a halo around Mr. Incredible's hair. The other was when Mr. Incredible had the opportunity to crush the girl in his arms and did not. I spotted a halo around her hair. Has anybody else seen this? I remember a halo in Nemo, but that was intentional.

Thanks.
Old 03-22-05, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Originally Posted by duse
Did anyone spot any haloing in this movie? I had two instances that I noticed, and did not know if anyone had the same experience. I tried a search, but it did not return any results.

The first one was when there was a flashback to when Mr. Incredible told Buddy that he wanted worked alone. My TV showed a halo around Mr. Incredible's hair. The other was when Mr. Incredible had the opportunity to crush the girl in his arms and did not. I spotted a halo around her hair. Has anybody else seen this? I remember a halo in Nemo, but that was intentional.

Thanks.
Didn't see a halo on your first incident. Looks like the intentional glow they use occasionally. The second instance you mentioned has a slight halo but I had to look for it.
Old 03-22-05, 10:55 PM
Cool New Member

Sure it's not a 'creation' of your display equipment?

In a direct-from-the-digital-source transfer, EE would have to be added during the compression process (ie. a sharpness filter). If that were the case, the film would have much more 'haloing' than you're seeing - because all the edges would be juiced.
Old 03-23-05, 06:38 AM
Cool New Member

Pixar and Disney Must Get Back Together!

With the departure of Michael Eisner from Disney, I fully hope and expect Pixar and Disney to rekindle their lucrative joint venture. Pixar is the party that had issues with Eisner in the first place, especially after Eisner didn't think much of FINDING NEMO. Boy, was he wrong! John Lassetter forever, Michael Eisner never!
Old 03-23-05, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by hanumang
Sure it's not a 'creation' of your display equipment?

In a direct-from-the-digital-source transfer, EE would have to be added during the compression process (ie. a sharpness filter). If that were the case, the film would have much more 'haloing' than you're seeing - because all the edges would be juiced.
I'm not sure what you mean by your first statement. Can you explain? I understand what you're saying in your second statement. I went through and adjusted all of the video settings, and it was still there. Maybe it's what TomOpus said, I'm confusing intentional glow with haloing.

Paranoia will destroy ya.
Old 03-23-05, 10:53 AM

I loved it too and knew absolutely nothing about it beforehand. Hadn't read any of the reviews. I'm a big fan of Holly Hunter (voice of Violet) though because she sounds like me! Which is probably why she never spoke in The Piano.... I'm hinting for my own copy of my upcoming Natal Day celebration... figure I'll need something to cheer me up after blowing out a gazillion candles...
Old 03-23-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Actually, Holly Hunter was the voice of Elastigirl, Sarah Vowell was the voice of Violet.
Old 03-23-05, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Actually, Holly Hunter was the voice of Elastigirl, Sarah Vowell was the voice of Violet.
Oh.

Darn.

Thanks, you are correct, sir. I am in grievous error.

I still talk like Holly however so one out of two is okay.....
Old 03-23-05, 12:01 PM
Cool New Member

I'm not sure what you mean by your first statement. Can you explain?
Seems like you've addressed it by going thru your video settings again. My basic point was that - every now and then - video display equipment can be at fault, not necessarily the transfer or the compression.

This is particulary true when you're watching on an HDTV that, for example, upconverts all it's signals, either to a higher resolution or to progressive scan (not to say that is what's happening to you, it's just the best example I could think of right now)

Old 03-23-05, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by hanumang
Seems like you've addressed it by going thru your video settings again. My basic point was that - every now and then - video display equipment can be at fault, not necessarily the transfer or the compression.

This is particulary true when you're watching on an HDTV that, for example, upconverts all it's signals, either to a higher resolution or to progressive scan (not to say that is what's happening to you, it's just the best example I could think of right now)

Ah, thanks for the explanation. I don't know if my TV upconverts the signal, but I know my player does not. I think I'm being paranoid. It was VERY MINOR. I always worry something is wrong with my equipment. It was only those two cases, and is no big deal. My 3 year old pretty was pretty much transfixed with the entire movie. Nothing has ever held his attention for that long. He told me that he like it better than Toy Story, and that says a lot! I cannot wait to watch the extras.
Old 03-27-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
I just finished watching my copy. I thought the video quality is excellent. I loved the voiceover acting. I loved the Bounding short on the dvd. I also enjoyed the featurette on Bud Lackey. He created one of the most memorable cartoon songs to me the ladybugs picnic. I can sing that song over and over again. I want to see more dvds like this.