DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Music Video Collections on DVD? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/414279-music-video-collections-dvd.html)

Kimiakane 03-15-05 01:24 PM

Music Video Collections on DVD?

Back in the glory days of VHS, it was desireable and common to collect the music videos of an artist/band on a tape and then to offer it commercially. These days it seems that the vast majority of music-DVDs are concert discs. Is there a reason why the video collections are now ignored? I have always loved the look (effects & direction) and sound of studio songs much more than the "live" experience. Am I alone or at least in the minority? Or is it that live performances are so much cheaper to produce and that's why this is all that is available? I really want to replace some of my old video collections (preferably updated) like KIM WILDE, MISSING PERSONS, BERLIN, DIVINYLS, PRETENDERS, DURAN DURAN, etc.

Filmmaker 03-15-05 01:45 PM

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

Kimiakane 03-15-05 02:32 PM

Ah, so we have plenty for some and none for others....sigh :(

I wonder what can be done about this?

Joshua B 03-15-05 02:37 PM

Yes those Duran Duran DVDs are nice, but overpriced.

NatrlBornThrllr 03-15-05 02:56 PM

Those three PALM Directors Label discs have quite a few music videos (along with shorts and whatnot). You might want to check them out to see if any of them have some of what you're looking for.

-JP

danganet 03-15-05 04:21 PM

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311265

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361041

BassDude 03-15-05 05:36 PM

I've also found that a lot of the concert DVDs are at the end/recent years of the artists' career. The PRETENDERS Live disc is great, but what I wouldn't give for a perfomance with Pete and James!! The original lineup made videos, but the Pretender's video collection, available on VHS, is not out on DVD.

I understand the new concert releases. Easier to get approval. Record the band now with the replacement players. Use the newest technology to record. Etc. But someone HAS ta have these gems lying around.

I'll second the OP's request for video compilations of Missing Persons, Berlin, Divinlys and add The Alarm, The Police, Boomtown Rats, Joe Jackson and other '1st wave' artists.

TomOpus 03-15-05 05:43 PM

If you're a Beastie Boys fan, there's always Criterion's Beatie Boys Video Anthology

Kick-ass sound, multiple angles, remixes. storyboards... it's a great set even if you not a big fan.

brooke789 03-15-05 06:32 PM

Don't know if you're just looking for 80's music videos, but here is a link to a pretty good set. I believe you can also buy the three volumes individually.

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00065AXTM/dvdtalk/qid=1110932910/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-2501456-2061760?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846">Director's Label Series Boxed Set</a>

I really wish this set included a Mark Romanek volume though.

Zombie67 03-15-05 06:42 PM

A friend of mine has been collecting 80's videos on video tape for years.

Currently, he has over 350 VHS tapes full of music videos recorded at various recording speeds of MTV broadcasts complete with commerials, VJ chatter and MTV contest offers. This stuff is almost as great as the videos.

He has been slowly weeding through them for over a year and logging all the videos into an Excel spread sheet.
When he completes this he will begin burning them to DVD.
I can't wait until he finishes to get my copies. Although at this rate it may taken a couple more years to complete.

darmok 03-15-05 10:44 PM

i love music video compilations from 80s bands, and i found many only from other regions, and actually region 1 canadian releases only. american releases tend to be of more recent live shows, true.

Buford T Pusser 03-15-05 11:49 PM

I have a few video comps such as Blur, Smithereens, Clash, Squeeze, Jam, Knack, DEVO, Blondie, Smiths, They Might Be Giants and the Stranglers.

Upper pylon 3 03-16-05 07:47 AM

I have collections by Guns N' Roses, Poison, Tesla, Van Halen, Bruce Springsteen, Motley Crue, & Tom Petty.

I would love it if they would release Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Cinderella, John Cougar, Skid Row, & Warrant.

Jazzbutcher 03-16-05 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
I have a few video comps such as Blur, Smithereens, Clash, Squeeze, Jam, Knack, DEVO, Blondie, Smiths, They Might Be Giants and the Stranglers.

The Jam DVD is amazing. Check it out! :up:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Bill Needle 03-16-05 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
If you're a Beastie Boys fan, there's always Criterion's Beatie Boys Video Anthology

Kick-ass sound, multiple angles, remixes. storyboards... it's a great set even if you not a big fan.

The BB Video Anthology is still one of the finest uses of the DVD medium that I have seen. It is one of my favorites of all selections, not just musical.

Joshua B 03-16-05 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by BassDude
I'll second the OP's request for video compilations of Missing Persons, Berlin, Divinlys and add The Alarm, The Police, Boomtown Rats, Joe Jackson and other '1st wave' artists.

Regarding the Police, I consider the Every Breath You Take DVD video compilation essential for Police fans.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...14234?v=glance

Another great compilation I have is Erasure - Hits! The Videos, complete with interviews.

MrE 03-16-05 08:53 AM

:thumbsup: Peter Gabriel PLAY
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s=dvd&n=507846

westie7 03-16-05 08:59 AM

I am on the other side I guess. When I get a concert DVD and there are video on it I usally only watch them once. I am usally doing stuff when I have a concert dvd on so I put it on and walk away. I also love live music.

Jet_Jaguar 03-16-05 09:02 AM

A topic that I both care about *and* know a little about. That may never happen again so.....

I think its a question of what sells. The video's are already made so it wouldn't cost a lot to put out the DVD's. There might be a "licensing for other formats" issue at work here.

Me? I love the Live disks. I prefer music live played by musicians over studio wizardry. Having the option of turning on (or off!) the in-performance visual is great. F'instance I much prefer having the Kinks Live "One for the Road" (with that hilarious Dave Davies commentary) to just a disk of over polished video's from the Kinks MTV years.

I find that, by buying "live" DVD's, I can catch up on acts that I have passed by over the years. Plus the sound on a lot of these disks are the best audio workout that you can give a home theater.

I agree that some acts are meant for "the video experience" and I wait for their video collections instead of buying their CD's.

Buford T Pusser 03-16-05 09:51 AM

ahhh yes. I also have the Police video comp.

as well as the Kinks live disc.

and I even admit to owning the ABBA video comp.

jarofclay73 03-16-05 10:09 AM

I've gotten a bunch of video compilations (Queen, The Police, Rush, Duran Duran, Weird Al). I don't feel like I'm really missing anything though. Maybe more Rush videos.

slowcloud 03-16-05 10:25 AM

Peter Gabriel's Play compilation is amazing-- sound and vision! Speaking of "sound and vision," don't forget David Bowie's complete video collection on two disks! It has everything up until the very latest album, plus TV appearances and loads of easter eggs, including the complete long-form video for 1984’s "Blue Jean."

I personally would love to see a complete video comp for Men At Work, just because they are an old guilty pleasure. Plus I would love to see a compilation of old obscure videos that were well done for the '80s, with artists like Les Rita Mitsouko, Gary Numan, Wall of Voodoo (if any exist) and others. Hey, how about that old concert video, Urg! A Music War? That was awesome and would be great to see on DVD.

tonyc3742 03-16-05 10:39 AM

I kinda like the videos simply because 'videos' are hard to find nowadays--what passes for videos, is basically concert clips in many cases.
Plus the video dvds, you can put in and just listen to a track at a time, or your favorite songs/videos. Or have it playing in the background. To me, the concert films have a feel like I need to sit down and watch it all at once.
They're both good, depending on what kind of experience you're looking for. I've got the Weird Al and Dead Milkmen video collections. Of course, the DM one features both videos and some live concert clips, which is cool.

fnordboy 03-16-05 11:40 AM

I have a few video collections, plus I am constantly making my own off of old VHS tapes and what they are playing on VH1 Classic (I tivo the show Alternative and weed out the vids I want from there and burn them to DVD).

I just picked up two video compilations that I didn't know existed until a few weeks ago. Sugarcubes the DVD and most importantly to me Daisy Chainsaw - The Videos.

Other regions seem to get them before we do (if we do at all). There seems to be a real good release in Australia for Midnight Oil that I will be picking up eventually. And I would recommend the Talking Heads - Once in a Lifetime set. 3 CDs and 1 DVD comp of videos. Great stuff :up:

You can see some of the videos I have here

Joshua B 03-16-05 12:11 PM

Nice music video collection fnordboy!

One thing I'd like to see is a site or even a weekly discussion topic on this board that lists all music DVD releases for the week. I had never heard of those Sugarcubes or Daisy Chainsaw releases, and I don't know of a site that pays attention to music on DVD...especially if it's not a live concert.

fnordboy 03-16-05 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Joshua B
Nice music video collection fnordboy!

One thing I'd like to see is a site or even a weekly discussion topic on this board that lists all music DVD releases for the week. I had never heard of those Sugarcubes or Daisy Chainsaw releases, and I don't know of a site that pays attention to music on DVD...especially if it's not a live concert.

Thanks.

Yeah a site like that would be a great thing. Every couple of weeks or so I just end up going through Amazon.co.uk or EzyDVD and seeing what they have in their Music DVD sections. Sometimes I get lucky like with the Sugarcubes and Daisy Chainsaw releases. The Sugarcubes release in particular is great, it is double sided with NTSC R0 on one side and PAL on the other. It is available in the US. I am pretty sure I have seen it listed at DVDEmpire.

danicus007 03-16-05 01:27 PM

I've got Alice In Chains Music Bank DVD with all of their videos. Also have Dave Matthews Band videos DVD, Def Leppard videos DVD, Stone Temple Pilots Thank You DVD with all of their videos, and all of Pearl Jam's DVDs that have the 4 or so videos they've made on them. I also have the Queen Greatest Hits 1 Videos DVD.

Buford T Pusser 03-16-05 02:01 PM

Oh yeah. I also have Weird Al, Aquabats and the Dead Milkmen collections.

westie7 03-16-05 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by danicus007
I've got Alice In Chains Music Bank DVD with all of their videos. Also have Dave Matthews Band videos DVD, Def Leppard videos DVD, Stone Temple Pilots Thank You DVD with all of their videos, and all of Pearl Jam's DVDs that have the 4 or so videos they've made on them. I also have the Queen Greatest Hits 1 Videos DVD.

Can you give me a quick buy/rent comment on the Pearl Jam DVD's?

johnbook 03-16-05 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Upper pylon 3
I have collections by Guns N' Roses, Poison, Tesla, Van Halen, Bruce Springsteen, Motley Crue, & Tom Petty.

I would love it if they would release Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Cinderella, John Cougar, Skid Row, & Warrant.

Yea i also have the Van Halen - Poison - Motley Crue video dvd's i would hope that VH put out another video dvd i beleive they missed a few with the current dvd, also i would love to have a Winger video dvd along with Rush, Cinderella, Kiss 80's & 90's video's, Ozzy, Scorpions, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Ratt, Whitesnake, Pink Floyd, 38 Special, Megadeth.

My music dvd video's

Iron Maiden - Visions Of The Beast

Judas Priest - Electric Eye

Motley Crue - Greatest Video Hits

Poison - Greatest Video Hits

Kiss - 20th Century Masters

ZZ Top - Greatest Hits

Van Halen - Video Hits Volume 1

Def Leppard - Historia/In The Round In Your Face

Def Leppard - Visualize/Video Archive

AC/DC - Family Jewels (Getting on 3/22/05)

YourOlympicHero 03-16-05 02:15 PM

I have the following video collections:

ABC - Absolutely
Guns N' Roses - Welcome To The Videos

William Fuld 03-16-05 02:23 PM

I was always disappointed MTV never followed up on the "MTV20 Collection" with more releases. I guess the boxed set and the individual releases didn't sell well, but as a sampler it's worth having (despite the sub-par A/V quality).

Matthew Chmiel 03-16-05 02:24 PM

I have the following music video collections:

- Beastie Boys: The DVD Video Anthology (Criterion Collection).
- Queen: Greatest Video Hits 1 (two-disc set with an interesting documentary).
- Queen: Greatest Video Hits 2 (two-disc set with lots of extras).
- And of course Palm Pictures' Director Series set.

Spring Roll 03-16-05 02:28 PM

From what I understand, there are a lot of these Music Video-only DVDs out in Europe and in Asia.

dollfins1 03-16-05 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
ahhh yes. I also have the Police video comp.

as well as the Kinks live disc.

and I even admit to owning the ABBA video comp.

abba was actually one of the pioneers in the music video field long before mtv existed. agnetha and annifried (frida) were quite the hotties back in their day. i have the definitive abba dvd and it is a must have for fans of their music

Rammsteinfan 03-16-05 02:58 PM

My fav music video collection dvd....

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Damfino 03-16-05 03:17 PM

In addition to the Talking Heads, Live and the Red Hot Chili Peppers included a DVD video compilation with their greatest hits cds.

danicus007 03-16-05 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by westie7
Can you give me a quick buy/rent comment on the Pearl Jam DVD's?

Well it depends on how big a Pearl Jam fan you are. The first DVD is Single Video Theory which takes you through the making of Yield. It's a little short, but very cool if you're a big fan. Certainly a must have. Their second DVD Touring Band 2000, is basically a concert but all of the tracks are taken from different shows on the 2000 tour. It's got a great tracklist and good extras. You get their videos and some other clips set to PJ songs. Their third DVD is Live at the Showbox and this is basically a warm up show they did right before releasing Riot Act. They play all of the songs from the new album. The gig is in a small venue and is pretty awesome. I'm not sure where you can buy this as I think it was only released through their website. You can try tenclub.net and see if it's still for sale. Their last DVD is Live at the Garden which is a concert from their last tour at Madison Square in NYC. It's a pretty good show and there are a lot of extras as well. It's on 2 disk and the quality is perfect.

I definitely recommend you pick up Touring Band 2000 and Live at the Garden. These can both be found pretty much anywhere for $15 or less. If you have any more questions, let me know.

rdclark 03-16-05 03:47 PM

Did anyone mention Peter Gabriel's "Play" collection? Not just a great collection of videos, but all the music has been remixed in 5.1! It's a bargain.

RichC

BassDude 03-16-05 06:03 PM

I'll chime in... My DVD Videos thus far are:

And Ya Don't Stop
Beatles Anthology
Beatles Celebration
Clash, The Essential
Diana Krall: Live In Paris
Elvis 68 Comeback Special
History Part II - M. Jackson
John Mayer:Any Given Thursday
Joni Mitchell