Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVDAF users: Do you submit a box set or individual titles?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVDAF users: Do you submit a box set or individual titles?

Old 03-13-05, 04:08 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 317
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVDAF users: Do you submit a box set or individual titles?

For all the DVD Aficionado users out there... if you have a box set, which contains movies that could be bought seperately... say... the Hitchcock Criterion set for example... do you add the box to your collection on the website, or the individual titles? Thanks
Old 03-13-05, 04:22 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: on a river in a kayak..where else?
Posts: 4,949
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to, and still am, submitting a box set if thats what I'd buy. Seemed simple to just add it the same way I bought it. Of late though, I've decided that on at least some, I might start adding single titles instead so the artwork can be listed for each. Makes no difference in the counting of titles....but it might look better.
Old 03-13-05, 04:58 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 3,137
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I'm with gut. I've always just put the boxed set titles...but I'm thinking about adding all of the individual titles also. If I were to give the link to a friend who wanted me to bring a movie over...I wouldn't want them to go to the "G" section looking for Goodfellas, not see it there, and assume that I didn't have it (since it's under the Scorsese box).

The only thing is, I don't use any subfolders right now, and I currently have 431 listings (490 titles)...so I'm afraid that adding all of the individual covers will push me right to that 500-title limit of what shows up on a page. That, and it'll throw off my count (for example, I just went and added Goodfellas to my list in addition to the Scorsese set, and it bumped my count to 432 listings [491 titles]).

We'll see. Unless the format of the site changes to allow for unlimited titles on a page, and duplicates of a title not upping your totals...I'll probably stick to listing boxed sets only.

-JP
Old 03-13-05, 05:00 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Times Square
Posts: 12,135
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The last few WB box sets I've been doing by individual titles, and I think I like it better that way ... I'll probably go back and "break up" the previous box sets I have.
Old 03-13-05, 05:05 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Inside the MCP
Posts: 1,400
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do it by box set. It just seems easier that way to me, and I don't use DVDAf to show off the 'numbers' of my set, just exactly what I have.
Old 03-13-05, 05:15 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Maxflier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 12,768
Received 113 Likes on 82 Posts
I just put in the box set.
Old 03-13-05, 05:48 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,391
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do individual titles, unless it's either a trilogy, series or a boxset in which the DVDs aren't sold individually.
Old 03-13-05, 05:51 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 12,306
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
box set...
Old 03-13-05, 06:18 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,919
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
on DVDAf, I always just list the box.....but on Profiler I list the titles.
not sure why I do it differently, I just do, and always have.
Old 03-13-05, 06:41 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
speedyray's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Kingston, TN
Posts: 2,309
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I enter them as a box, but often I break up boxes and keep only 1 or 2 titles so I end up going back and deleting the box then rentering. Just my experience.
Old 03-13-05, 06:45 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 3,137
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What sets have you done that with, and what do you do with the boxes after you've broken up the set? I ask because I have more than a few "boxed sets" that I've pieced together individually...and I'd love to be able to find a box for them after the fact.

-JP
Old 03-13-05, 06:45 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Formerly known as (ahem) "LASERMOVIES"/California
Posts: 9,464
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I prefer to list the titles individually because I like being able to see the cover artwork of each DVD in my collection.
Old 03-13-05, 09:22 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 306
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I go by box set. I'm not trying to pad my collection to try and make it look like I have more than what I have.
Old 03-13-05, 09:37 PM
  #14  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: So. Illinois
Posts: 3,019
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
Yeah, I'm with gut. I've always just put the boxed set titles...but I'm thinking about adding all of the individual titles also. If I were to give the link to a friend who wanted me to bring a movie over...I wouldn't want them to go to the "G" section looking for Goodfellas, not see it there, and assume that I didn't have it (since it's under the Scorsese box).

The only thing is, I don't use any subfolders right now, and I currently have 431 listings (490 titles)...so I'm afraid that adding all of the individual covers will push me right to that 500-title limit of what shows up on a page. That, and it'll throw off my count (for example, I just went and added Goodfellas to my list in addition to the Scorsese set, and it bumped my count to 432 listings [491 titles]).

We'll see. Unless the format of the site changes to allow for unlimited titles on a page, and duplicates of a title not upping your totals...I'll probably stick to listing boxed sets only.

-JP
Oh, the classic title/director elitist can't be bothered to come up with some simple subfolders to keep the 500 title limit with DVDAficionado from causing a problem...for shame.

Here's an idea...make a subfolder for your Criterions...that'll take care of about 50 or so...
==============================

To answer the thread question, I generally break up my box sets and list them per title, despite some having a bonus disc that isn't listed, such as the Alien Quadrilogy. I have each listed as their "Special Edition" version. Same thing goes with the Rambo Trilogy Special Edition. Comes with a 4th bonus disc, but I have the set listed as their separate titles.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 03-13-05 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-13-05, 09:41 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 3,137
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haha, wow, are you seriously following me from thread to thread because we had a debate over whether or not certain directors should be considered important or not? Grow the fuck up. You claim you're 31, how about you act like it.

-JP
Old 03-13-05, 09:45 PM
  #16  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: So. Illinois
Posts: 3,019
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
Haha, wow, are you seriously following me from thread to thread because we had a debate over whether or not certain directors should be considered important or not? Grow the fuck up. You claim you're 31, how about you act like it.

-JP
No, I'm not following you...apparently we're the only couple of smucks on here on a Sunday night.
Old 03-13-05, 10:06 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 1,267
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVDAF users: Do you submit a box set or individual titles?

If I bought the box, I list the box somewhere in my folders. It doesn't always make complete sense, but I'm not a public library anyways.
Old 03-13-05, 11:12 PM
  #18  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 61
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by natevines
I do individual titles, unless it's either a trilogy, series or a boxset in which the DVDs aren't sold individually.
Ditto for me.
Old 03-14-05, 12:07 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
jpdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Madisonville, KY
Posts: 1,127
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sometimes i do both
Old 03-14-05, 12:32 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California
Posts: 19,314
Received 283 Likes on 235 Posts
just add the boxset.
Old 03-14-05, 09:14 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: WV
Posts: 3,178
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I list them by how I buy them. For example, I did not buy the Die Hard box set, but I have the indivual releases listed. Star Wars was purchased as a box set, so I list it as a set.
Old 03-14-05, 09:22 AM
  #22  
Mod Emeritus
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Gone to the islands - 'til we meet again.
Posts: 19,053
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Oh, the classic title/director elitist can't be bothered to ...
Mike, this type of comment really isn't necessary. Please don't do it again.
Old 03-14-05, 11:20 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,150
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Box set listing for me. I'll add an individual title occasionally (to a "Loaned Out" folder) when I lend a DVD out from a box set, but that title disappears when I get it back.

I even deleted my individual LOTR EE titles and added the box set listing when I got my EE slipcover in the mail. For some reason I like to have everything consolidated as much as possible.
Old 03-14-05, 02:22 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Ginwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 7,336
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Usually I just put the box set, unless I have a specific reason for listing the individual disks (for example, I have a separate category for the AFI 100 Years, 100 movies, so I'll list those separately even if they came as a set).

Edit: I don't double list them in those cases--I list the individual disks instead of the set, but YOU should list them however you like. As far as padding, I think by the time you get to a hundred DVDs or so, the last thing you're concerned with is padding your collection to make it look bigger.

Last edited by Ginwen; 03-14-05 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-14-05, 02:58 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 8,466
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dango727
I go by box set. I'm not trying to pad my collection to try and make it look like I have more than what I have.



I hope you aren't referring to everyone when you say that, because I put both the box set and the individual titles (which I then note are in that certain box set).

It's just my preference for my thoughts on my collection.

Last edited by conscience; 03-14-05 at 03:00 PM.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.