DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Apple Backs Blu-Ray

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-05, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apple Backs Blu-Ray

From DigitalBits:

Some more major news today. The Blu-ray Disc Association has announced that Apple Computer has become its latest member, making Blu-ray Disc its choice in the coming next-generation optical disc format war. Apple CEO Steve Jobs issued this quote today: "Apple is pleased to join the Blu-ray Disc Association board as part of our efforts to drive consumer adoption of HD. Consumers are already creating stunning HD content with Apple's leading video editing applications like iMovie HD and are anxiously awaiting a way to burn their own high def DVDs."

This is a big deal, folks. The Blu-ray Disc Association already has the support of PC giants Dell, Sony and HP. It's long been our belief that on the technical merits of the Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD specs alone, Blu-ray is the clear winner. It seems that most of the computer and electronics industries agree. Keep in mind that Sony's forthcoming PS3 videogame platform is going to use Blu-ray Disc as its storage format. It seems now that the only real war between these two formats is going to be waged in Hollywood between the studios already supporting Blu-ray (Disney, Sony, MGM and possibly Fox, which we hear is leaning toward Blu-ray) and those supporting HD-DVD (Warner, Universal, Paramount and New Line). There are also rumors that a number of major retailers like WalMart and Best Buy may be planning to carry one format or the other exclusively. It's gonna get very ugly before all this is over, folks.
Old 03-11-05, 05:46 AM
Cool New Member

This is actually pretty good, because I'm looking to buy a G5 around Christmas -- which will be connected to a true-HD monitor -- so, hopefully, a Blu-Ray drive will come as standard.

Or am I dreaming?

EDIT: [hijack] I haven't been following the War for a while... Has the issue of region coding become any clearer?

Last edited by j_nolan; 03-11-05 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-11-05, 05:52 AM

This isn't really a major surprise considering Apple's recent ties with Sony. Still, it all hinges on whether or not the public even cares. And I have a feeling that they won't... not for a long time.
Old 03-11-05, 08:01 AM

I'm looking to buy a G5 around Christmas -- which will be connected to a true-HD monitor -- so, hopefully, a Blu-Ray drive will come as standard.
Maybe on their highest-end model, but I wouldn't look for it on the others (Apple typically releases three different CPUs each time, an entry-level, a mid-level and a high-end).

This isn't really a major surprise considering Apple's recent ties with Sony. Still, it all hinges on whether or not the public even cares. And I have a feeling that they won't... not for a long time.
Exactly. Just because Apple is backing it doesn't equal a successful format. How many of us can remember some other Apple-backed "standards" that got pushed by the wayside for cheaper alternatives from the PC world: NuBus or GeoPort, anyone?

Apple's backing of Blu-Ray might actually be the kiss of "Betamax" for the format (well, that's not exactly true so much anymore, but Apple used to be known for adopting oddball technologies that no one else adopted). By the way, I'm very much an Apple fan!
Old 03-11-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by mythmaker18
Exactly. Just because Apple is backing it doesn't equal a successful format. How many of us can remember some other Apple-backed "standards" that got pushed by the wayside for cheaper alternatives from the PC world: NuBus or GeoPort, anyone?
USB? Firewire? DVI standard? Dual processors? First "super-drive" that burns DVDs and CDs? The first PDA? How about a GUI interface? I don't see anyone backing any of that nonsense.

Apple has developed/ushered in far more standards, that the PC world adopted for the masses, than failures.
Old 03-11-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

there's an interesting article about apple here:apple's blueprint for genius

there is a price to leading innovation and, for apple, one big miss could be devastating.

however, as we've seen with that whole ipod thing, the rewards for leading the pack could amount to billions.
Old 03-11-05, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unless titles are exclusively released in either blu-ray or hd-dvd but NOT on regular dvd, i plan to stay out of the fray until one standard is adopted. given the huge current market for standard dvds, i do not envision studios decreasing availability until the new standard(s) are well established.

kms
Old 03-11-05, 10:37 AM
Cool New Member

You make a good point, kms. This will only slow the consumer adoption of either HD DVD format.
Old 03-11-05, 10:49 AM

I don't understand why there's so much resistance on this forum to high-definition DVD.

If you have a HD TV, and movies are being released in both HD and SD DVD, and all you needed was to spend $200 to buy a player in order to watch the HD version, why wouldn't you?

And if you don't have a HDTV, you probably will by the end of next year, when HD broadcasting will be widespread.

The demand for HDDVD will be created by the existence of HDTV, and it will roll over the market like an avalanche.

RichC
Old 03-11-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
I don't understand why there's so much resistance on this forum to high-definition DVD.
Noone wants to upgrade to a temporary format - if the High Def DVD format they choose winds up losing the war.

With 1 format being released and embraced by manufacturers and by all studios, consumers can purchase with much more confidence.
Old 03-11-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it was only $200 for a player, I might take a flyer on it. At $1,000 for a player (if that is the price they end up going for), I'm going to wait, as will a large majority of the market.

Of course, I may not have an HDTV yet by the end of the year, either (as of right now, it seems like an expensive upgrade for so little content, especially since I'm limited to over-the-air HD since my cable company doesn't broadcast any HD), which would prevent my purchase of a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player regardless of price.
Old 03-11-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Coral
Noone wants to upgrade to a temporary format - if the High Def DVD format they choose winds up losing the war.

With 1 format being released and embraced by manufacturers and by all studios, consumers can purchase with much more confidence.
You say it is a temporary format, and I disagree. Who's right? Let's hop in the time machine to find out.

RD is right. There is a lot of resistance to next gen formats here, and I am not talking about those who say "I'll wait a while and see" I am talking about "niche" and "neverwills." There was a lot of that resistance in the laserdisc vs DVD transition.

What if you got a BR version of a four disc set where it was one disc, and the player was $200. Would it be worth it to you then even if you could only watch the discs at SD?

It is looking more and more like BR is going to be dominant to me.

Last edited by Qui Gon Jim; 03-11-05 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-11-05, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Apple's backing of Blu-Ray might actually be the kiss of "Betamax" for the format (well, that's not exactly true so much anymore, but Apple used to be known for adopting oddball technologies that no one else adopted). By the way, I'm very much an Apple fan!

But HP, Dell and Sony (of course) computers are also backing Blu-Ray. Along with Apple on board, that covers a very large percent of computer makers. I'm not sure how the stand alone player market will end up, but as far as optical drives for computers go, the format war almost seems to be already over, in Sony's favour.
Old 03-11-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cultshock
But HP, Dell and Sony (of course) computers are also backing Blu-Ray. Along with Apple on board, that covers a very large percent of computer makers. I'm not sure how the stand alone player market will end up, but as far as optical drives for computers go, the format war almost seems to be already over, in Sony's favour.
I agree. This format war is so much bigger than just movies. While the studios are split over the two formats for films, Sony is winning on every other front. The computer industry seems to be going in their favor. The Adult industry is 100% backing Blue-Ray. Sony will more than likely win the game industry again with PS3. The more you look at it Warner-Bros is the only chance HD-dvd has. I think we are waiting on two things now. 1. Fox to back Blue-Ray only. 2. Sony to announce final replication costs and consumer prices.
Old 03-11-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
The Adult industry is 100% backing Blue-Ray.
Incorrect.

Many inside the adult film industry are leaning towards HD DVD, as the discs would be much easier and cheaper to produce by being able to work with existing production lines.
Old 03-11-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't see how Sony can include Blue Ray in the PS3 at a reasonable cost to the consumer by next year. I highly doubt 1st generation players, which the PS3 will probably fall in, will be under the $300 range. I'm betting closer to $700-$1000 range. Much less provide the games at a reasonable cost.
Old 03-11-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I don't see how Sony can include Blue Ray in the PS3 at a reasonable cost to the consumer by next year. I highly doubt 1st generation players, which the PS3 will probably fall in, will be under the $300 range. I'm betting closer to $700-$1000 range. Much less provide the games at a reasonable cost.

They will probably sell it at around $400 and take a loss on every unit. It's not unusual or unacceptable to do so with a game system. The hardware is simply there to sell games. Just like printers are sold almost below cost because they make money on ink cartridges. I will proably buy a PS3 just for the HD-DVD if it is cheap and the home players are high.

you obviously own an XBox so you should understand the concept of loosing money on every unit sold. (I also own one so don't think I am bashing XBox)
Old 03-11-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Coral
Incorrect.

Many inside the adult film industry are leaning towards HD DVD, as the discs would be much easier and cheaper to produce by being able to work with existing production lines.
Actually you are incorrect. The biggest adult companies want Blue Ray. The lesser companies are worried about price.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php?ID=11186
Old 03-11-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Actually you are incorrect. The biggest adult companies want Blue Ray. The lesser companies are worried about price.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php?ID=11186
Well if that's the case, then how do you come to the conclusion that "The Adult industry is 100% backing Blue-Ray" ?
Old 03-11-05, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
You say it is a temporary format, and I disagree. Who's right? Let's hop in the time machine to find out.
One of them is very likely going to be a temporary format. For fear of picking the wrong one, a lot of people will wait for a shake-out, even some early-adopters who otherwise wouldn't be thrown-off by a high price.
Old 03-11-05, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by rdclark
Seems a little strange to me also. I'm really looking forward to the improved image quality that should be availabe with either format. I tend to hope that blu-ray will win out because it seems to have the potential for much more storage content, but I will be looking closely at the different players and making my choice for what I think is best.
Old 03-11-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Ahab
Seems a little strange to me also. I'm really looking forward to the improved image quality that should be availabe with either format. I tend to hope that blu-ray will win out because it seems to have the potential for much more storage content, but I will be looking closely at the different players and making my choice for what I think is best.
In regards to tv sets:
This is one area I consider "grey." Storage space. Even with a 50GB disc, your average HD hour long show in full 1080 resolution is probably close to 8GB. Therefore we will still only be seeing 4-5 episodes per disc.

I look forward to the better image because of higher bit rates, but with modern movies and shows maxing out their bitrates I don't see my available shelf space shrinking because of a higher capacity disc.
Old 03-11-05, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yaaaaaaaaaawwwn....Both these formats will not takeoff..I have been wrong before with my "world exclusive predictions"
Old 03-11-05, 08:42 PM

Yes, I agree. Simply because there is more storage space on the disc itself will not result in more storage space on one's shelf.
For me at least it will ultimately depend on the quality of the image that either camp is able to produce. However, I don't think I am going to wait around untill only one side is left standing - I will want to enjoy that superior image quality as soon as possible.
Old 03-11-05, 09:48 PM

i've always felt blu-ray is the better format and i hope it wins. it seems to support all the same compression formats and audio formats as hd-dvd plus it holds more space. that is good for movies, but also further down the line it will be good for recordable blu-ray discs for storing regular data from our computers.

plus i already know for a fact no matter what i will have a blu-ray player since the ps3 is going to use one, not that a ps3 will give optimal pq, but it's an introductin to the blu-ray world.

of course they already announced dark city and matrix and some other films i want for hd-dvd exclusively (for now?) which throws a wrench into my plans.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.