Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Terminator, whats the best version?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Terminator, whats the best version?

Old 03-10-05, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree Ironically I found the original mono on the R1 ("shiny" cover ) upped the tension and made the film have more atmosphere than the 5.1
Old 03-10-05, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, the DD track might've been cool if they didn't decide to go back and redo the sounds. The new silencer shots we get when he takes out the first Sarah Connor takes me out of the scene every time.
Old 03-10-05, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, the gun on the original track is much louder isn't it?
Old 03-11-05, 10:55 AM

Well, I went out last night to hunt this down and cannot find any copies that say Special Edition. I searched ebay and can't seem to find any reliable ones (or shiny ones for that matter). Does anyone know a good place to order one from? or can someone find it in their area and mail it to me? All ideas and suggestions are welcome.
Old 03-11-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have seen copies of the SE *with* the holofoil cover as recent as two weeks ago at Borders. they were mixed in with the regular non-SE editions, as well as SEs without the holofoil effect. give them a try.
Old 03-11-05, 11:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrhan
The 5.1 remix sounds horrible; listen to the original mono track.
I actually like the 5.1 mix. Yes, it's changed from/different than the mono track, but I would rather have a stereo track when available over a mono track. I gave up on mono when I got my first Hi-Fi VCR.
Old 03-11-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
I actually like the 5.1 mix. Yes, it's changed from/different than the mono track, but I would rather have a stereo track when available over a mono track. I gave up on mono when I got my first Hi-Fi VCR.
I think I would have liked the 5.1 track if they had at least kept the gunshot sounds the same. As someone else posted above; it takes me out of the movie because it is so blatantly different from the original.
Old 03-11-05, 11:38 AM

I tried Borders, Best Buy, Circuit Shitty, and Wally World (Wal-Mart) with no luck. I think I may order it from DVD Empire and hope that I get the special edition. If not I will just have to return it.
Old 03-11-05, 11:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrhan
I think I would have liked the 5.1 track if they had at least kept the gunshot sounds the same. As someone else posted above; it takes me out of the movie because it is so blatantly different from the original.
Well, that's true, but I feel the 5.1 adds/enhances so many other parts of the film that I can live without the original gun sounds. For example, the beginning future battle sounds much better in 5.1 than the original mono.

If they ever do a Terminator 4, I hope they focus on the post-nuclear attack world. By that time, the CG would have advanced enough to make an awesome post apocalyptic movie. And I'd do it with a sens of fashion as Star Wars Ep. III is doing. That is taking the Ep. II clone troopers and updating them a little bit to show the change between the originals the Ep. IV versions. So for the Terminator films, we had the original HK machines in T1 and T2, then we had the very first real HKs in T3, and then in T4 we would see the next generation of HKs which would be inbetween the T3 and the T1 HKs.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 03-11-05 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-11-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ddd has it for $9 and change:

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=MGD000182

it looks like they are using the "stock" non-se photo, but it lists all the extras.
Old 03-11-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=982
Old 03-11-05, 06:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts
Originally Posted by chanster

Here is my scan. You lose the neat effect due to scan
nice. i def don't have that one, but i do have all the extras.
Old 03-12-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by neilo13
I tried Borders, Best Buy, Circuit Shitty, and Wally World (Wal-Mart) with no luck. I think I may order it from DVD Empire and hope that I get the special edition. If not I will just have to return it.
I was in FYE store today and they had the one with no extras in front of the store with other sale titles. I looked back where it should be and they had 3 copies of the Special Edition and they were the same price as the no extra ones, 9.99.

I looked at DDD and while the description is for the special edition the cover shown does not say special edition, that I could see.
Old 03-18-05, 07:04 PM

Hey, I've just been through this crap with Amazon. They've changed the listing on their website--taken away the special features--because they had been there for the 2004 edition and I bought the damn thing, and, gee, no special features. I immediately sent it back and ripped them a new a-hole. They've actually refunded me. I've since gotten the older 2001 edition (the double-sided DVD-14) off of Ebay. That edition looks exactly like the above pictures, hologram or no. I can't believe MGM has done this. I've also just looked at the comparison between the MGM (2001) disc and the old Image disc, and I agree that the Image image (ha) looks a bit better, but I'm happy with the MGM (2001) disc. Avoid the bare-bones 2004 disc at all costs.
Old 03-19-05, 07:10 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Terminator 2 originally came in a snapper too. I once found a copy in the trade-in bin at Blockbuster.

Last edited by feral125; 03-19-05 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-18-05, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just discovered a new easter egg for this, and have submitted it.

In addition to the random method described in the previous easter egg, there is also a hidden index menu to the interviews, which allows you to choose any of the segments directly.

Go to Special Features, then choose DVD ROM Features. Once there, press on your remote control 1, Select, 8, Select, 1, and finally Select.
Old 01-05-06, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 647 Likes on 447 Posts
Just found a copy of the foil-cover SE DVD at my local Best Buy today, so there's still some out there.

It's frustrating that MGM kept the same UPC. I can understand the foil-cover and non-foil-cover having the same UPC, since it's the same SE disc, but when they switched to the non-SE, they should've used a different UPC. Now people don't know what they're going to get if they order online, and worse, some people don't know that there is an SE since all the websites now just list the non-SE.

Anyone know why MGM downgrades these DVDs? It's not like the releases took up two discs in the first place. Do they have to pay royalties on the special features or something? (edit): Just noticed that the SE's are double-sided, while the non-SE's are not. Anyone know what the price difference is between a double-sided and single-sided disc?

Last edited by Jay G.; 01-05-06 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-05-06, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Just found a copy of the foil-cover SE DVD at my local Best Buy today, so there's still some out there.
Lucky for you dude, to find the 1st press cover of it. Its hard now a days.
Old 01-06-06, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
It's frustrating that MGM kept the same UPC.
Aha, that would explain what happened when I ordered it from Amazon and they still had the special features listed. That's pretty damn shitty on MGM's part.

Good you found the old holographic SE so easily! A nice edition.
Old 01-06-06, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 647 Likes on 447 Posts
Thanks. It was completely by accident, I didn't even know the foil cover existed. I was just browsing the DVDs when the cover caught my eye because, well, it's shiny. It was only after I got home that I found this thread.

Last edited by Jay G.; 01-06-06 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-06-06, 11:13 AM

I have seen a few out in the wild since I purchased mine, however none were the foil version. I've seen them at the Wegman's (grocery store) and CVS (drug store). If you really need to find this at retail try looking in places like that.
Old 01-07-06, 01:32 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts
Thanks to this thread...

Just on a lark while I was out DVD browsing today (went to a Border's, 2 Best Buy's) simply looking for anything, but because I glanced at this thread yesterday, I decided while I was out I would just peek at the 'Sci-Fi' sections just to see if this infamous "foil" cover was there (since I always wanted that one). Nothing in the Border's and the 1st Best Buy, but...

I went to the second Best Buy which was on the way home and low and behold among the dozens of T2's and T3's, and about 4 Terminators. 2 were the crappy bare-bones MGM's. 1 was the non-foil SE and sure enough, hardly noticing from the side view, was a true to life "The Terminator" (Special Edition w/ Foil Cover).

I could hardly believe it since I never find rarities when I am actually looking for them. Obviously, I had to look at it a few times, manipulating it so the light hits it, but it was the real thing. I quickly scanned the section for others, but alas this was the sole survivor and I am so psyched!

So why did they do away with this special "foil" cover anyway?
Old 01-07-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
So why did they do away with this special "foil" cover anyway?
Its their first press release packaging tease to the consumers.

MGM, normally do this kind of things with their Special Editions.
Old 01-07-06, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts
what I didn't like about Terminator SE is that Cameron did an audio commentary for the deleted scenes and none for the movie. If he was sitting in a studio for that, he should have just done one for the movie as well. Overall, it's a solid DVD despite that.
Old 01-07-06, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts
I must be the only one who didn't really care for the 'foil cover' edition, it looked kinda stupid to me.

I went out of my way to get the non foil cover SE. to each his own I guess.

Glad I got when I did, I had no idea it was going oop or was currently oop 'til I read the thread

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.