Search this Thread

Old 06-08-11, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Thief - anamorphic release ever?

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost
Apparently there's a 2009 release of Thief in the UK:
http://www.moviemail-online.co.uk/film/58542/Thief/
by Optimum. Does anyone have this? Is it just the old UK DVD re-packaged (which was a very beat-up transfer of the cinema cut), or anamorphic?

Also, I've seen on some other forums that apparently, rumor has it, Criterion is working on this. I hate to spread a rumor, but can anyone confirm?
I don't own it but I'm pretty sure the Optimum release is anamorphic. www.dvdcompare.net says it is anyway.
Old 06-08-11, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
I don't own it but I'm pretty sure the Optimum release is anamorphic. www.dvdcompare.net says it is anyway.
I've sent an email to Optimum. I hope they answer.
Old 07-08-11, 07:50 AM

First of all, thanks Egon's Ghost for making me aware of the UK DVD. I ordered it along with some other stuff that had been in my wish list for awhile from Amazon UK and received it yesterday. Gave it a spin last night and can confirm that it is indeed anamorphic. A reviewer of the Optimum disc on Amazon.UK complained that the image was too dark. To me it looked fine. A helluva lot better than the domestic DVD, really. I'm also very happy to report that it's the uncut theatrical version!
Old 07-08-11, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by rsortor
First of all, thanks Egon's Ghost for making me aware of the UK DVD. I ordered it along with some other stuff that had been in my wish list for awhile from Amazon UK and received it yesterday. Gave it a spin last night and can confirm that it is indeed anamorphic. A reviewer of the Optimum disc on Amazon.UK complained that the image was too dark. To me it looked fine. A helluva lot better than the domestic DVD, really. I'm also very happy to report that it's the uncut theatrical version!
Wow, that's awesome, thanks for confirming. I wonder if something more will come in the future - I wonder if the Criterion rumors are true.