Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What Lovecraft movies are out there?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-05, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Lovecraft movies are out there?

Had a regular customer come into my store the other night and they asked me if there were any movies out that were based on HP Lovecraft's work. Not being a fan, I had no idea what to tell them.

Can anyone give me a list of the movies, if there are any?
Old 03-05-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0522454/
Old 03-05-05, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While not technically a H. P. Lovecraft film, I would love to have Cast A Deadly Spell on DVD. It is sorta an homage to Lovecraft with Fred Ward playing Det. Harry Philip Lovecraft.

"The whole plot and many of the monsters are taken from the works of H.P. Lovecraft. That's why 'Fred Ward' 's character has his name too."
Old 03-05-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trigger
Thanks.

I had already checked on the IMDB, though. What I was really looking for was what movies are available on DVD. I'm just too lazy / busy (take your pick) to look them all up individually at the moment
Old 03-05-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tip: Go to the IMDb link posted and then click on the "DVD" links for the Shop H.P. Lovecraft in the upper right-hand corner of the page.

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Thanks.

I had already checked on the IMDB, though. What I was really looking for was what movies are available on DVD. I'm just too lazy / busy (take your pick) to look them all up individually at the moment
Old 03-05-05, 06:29 PM
Cool New Member

The Dunwich Horror
Die Monster Die (adaptation of Color out of Space)
Haunted Palace (adaptation of The Case of Charles Dexter Ward)
Re-Animator
Dagon

I also recommend the dvds put out by Beyond Books (www.beyond-books.com). Collections of short films and documentaries. Lots of stuff on each disc, 3 discs out so far.
Old 03-05-05, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re-Animator Mill edition is getting a re-release in two weeks....its cult classic
Old 03-05-05, 06:37 PM

John Carpenter's In The Mouth Of Madness is another HPL related title. The Unnameable 2 is related as well.
Old 03-05-05, 07:04 PM

There are also some incredible (both for good and for ill) semi-pro films based upon Lovecraft (or Grandpa Theobald, as we afficionados sometimes refer to him--it's a nickname from his letters), most of which show up at the H. P. Lovecraft Film Festival in Portland, OR every October. (I had the honor of being a guest at the last one). Andrew Migliore and John Strysik wrote a very good book (now a bit out of date) on Lovecraft in the cinema, called "The Lurker in the Lobby." Lurker Films distributes several collections of these at http://www.lurkerfilms.com. I particularly recommend Bryan Moore's "Cool Air." Also, there is a decent film version of "The Thing on the Doorstep" out, price is $9.99, available from http://www.gavinicussbooks.com. So far the best Lovecraft adaptation is not available on DVD. I refer to Dan O'Bannion's "The Resurrected," which starred Chris Sarandon as Joseph Curwen in a fine adaptation of "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward."
Right now Lovecraftians are eagerly awaiting three films: "Beyond the Wall of Sleep," starring William Sanderson (from "Blade Runner," "Newhart," and numerous other appearances); the H. P. Lovecraft Historical Society's silent film adaptation of "The Call of Cthulhu" (see the trailer at http://www.cthulhulives.org/CoC/trailer.html), and Guillermo del Torro's version of "At the Mountains of Madness."
Best wishes,
Scott Connors
Old 03-05-05, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks.

too lazy to click a link?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0522454/forsale#dvd
Old 03-05-05, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trigger
No need to be catty. I just didn't notice the link while I was at the page, as the customer was bombarding me with a bunch of other questions.
Old 03-05-05, 08:07 PM

Hi--

I'll "cast" a second vote for "Cast a Deadly Spell" -- it's a film noir-ish flick in a LA where using magic IS the norm, and Det. Lovecraft refuses to do that. (sorry for the pun).
There's also a series of "Re-animator" films.

And the TV animated series, "The Real Ghostbusters" did a couple of heavily Lovecraft flavored eps, including "The Collect Call of CAThulu" (yes, mis-spelled) and "Russian About", and I could SWEAR there was a third ep, where the Necromoninon features promiately--but I can't remember the title.

Ray Stanz: "Hey, listen to this-- this weekend at the New York Public Library, The Necromoninon!"
Peter Venkman: "I didn't know the public library invited rock groups!" (something to that effect)
Ray: "No Peter, the Necromoninon!"

--Brit TV Fan
Old 03-05-05, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No need to be catty. I just didn't notice the link while I was at the page, as the customer was bombarding me with a bunch of other questions.
I'm not being catty... I'm just not big on posting smiley faces. Also - asking for help on this forum is welcome when you need it, but typically if your reason for not looking it up yourself is laziness - unless people really want to discuss the topic - people won't be as likely to want to help you.
Old 03-06-05, 12:26 AM

Isn't From Beyond being released soon?