Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie original cut and lang?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-05, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is region edition of this DVD that is presented in its orginal form and langauge with english subtiles? I saw it some ten years ago in its orginal form and even have it on tape. Being a huge Street Fighter fan I thought it was well done...until I saw the butcherd english cut which IMO was horrible. It even seemed like a different movie. So many things cut and its stupid voices. Ever since then I have been trying to get the original so if anyone can help me out I would be grateful.
Old 03-05-05, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The original unedited version is available in region 2 (Japan) but it doesn't have English subtitles. It also isn't anamorphic and reportedly uses the same transfer as the laserdisc. On the other hand, it's considerably cheaper than most Japanese discs and, in my opinion, subtitles aren't that necessary to enjoy this particular movie.

The region 1 version (one of the first ever anime DVDs) is certainly butchered. Even the "unrated" version is cut and the original music is replaced.
Old 03-06-05, 09:02 AM

Dang it. Hell I may just buy the R2 and see if I can sub it my damn self being that I still have the subtiled tape. Lets up they some day wake up and re-release it with subtiles. Thank you.
Old 03-06-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are pirated versions that are WS, Japanese, and English subs.

I have it on DivX
Old 03-06-05, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Class316
There are pirated versions that are WS, Japanese, and English subs.

I have it on DivX
How can I get a good WS version w/ english subs and original language? Can you point me into the irght direction? I've bought the u.s. version, the R2 japanese, and the bootleg one. The japanese one lacks subs and the bootleg has horrible subs (ryu is refered to as Luang...the subs don't make any sense).
Old 03-06-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Man, I think I have the same boot VHS. Last year [or the year before], I ordered this from Amazon.uk. The product listed it as have the original soundtrack, english subs, etc. Needless to say, it was NOT the Japanese version. It's sat on my shelf ever since. Which reminds me that I have to get rid of it.

FFWD to a couple months later..As i'm ordering X2 from Amazon.co.jp, I check on Street Fighter. Since the listings are in Japanese, I couldn't read them. And since their "Help" is almost nonexistent, I took the plunge and ordered the damn thing. When I got it, it DID have the original Japanese track [music and all], but there were no subs. I ended up sending it back.

And all of this is just over my quest to have a version with the original MUSIC...i'm not even going to contemplate the cuts you guys are talking about...
Old 03-06-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best bet for a good DVD is an ebay search.

Sadly, my version isn't that great quality wise. Though it is widescree, language is Japanese, and the subs seem to be ok (Ryu is Ryu), the quality isn't all that (610mb DivX 3.0). I would image there exists a DVD version.

It should also be noted that all non-Japanese versions have SOME censorship. My DivX has the Chun-Li shower scene in all its glory.

Last edited by Class316; 03-06-05 at 03:44 PM.