Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is it bad to pack DVD's tightly together?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Is it bad to pack DVD's tightly together?

Old 03-09-05, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brooke789
Actually, right now I am using two shelves to hold my collection and don't need the entire capacity of this shelf yet, so I have two rows of CDs taking up the very bottom of this shelf. I hadn't noticed that the spacing of the shelves would be that uneven when using all of the shelves for DVDs. I hate it when that happens.
well i started messing around with it the other day and besides going the next big step and taking it apart to drill other holes (too much for me) i simply put cds on the very bottom then lay a shelf on top of them then dvds then work up with the holes then. it ends up fine and looking way better than what i had it.
Old 04-17-05, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sxwxs
hey, i have this rack too and face the same problem, but i wanted to ask you if you have a problem fixing the shelfs to w/ extra space. it seems on the bottom part i cant set it up w/out have some sort of space of like 6 inches or so and it throws the whole the off. it bugs me.
So I finally needed to get rid of the bottom two rows of CDs on my shelf and ran into the extra six inches of space problem you were talking about. The only practical way that I could arrrange the shelves without having too much wasted space was to split the lower section of the rack unit into four shelves, three for DVDs and one for CDs. I ended up having to buy some support brackets to customize the height of the bottom shelf as the predrilled holes didn't go down far enough for me to accomplish the correct arrangement. I didn't want to risk ruining the unit, so I installed these without drilling pilot holes for the screws.

Heres a pic of the extra brackets I installed just below the last set of predrilled holes:

And here's how the shelf looks with the bottom shelf inserted and filled with DVDs and CDs:

Last edited by brooke789; 04-17-05 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-17-05, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My titles are packed fairly tightly and I use re-sealable sleeves for most of my cases....which help protect from scuffs and rips. I've been using this system for a few years with zero damage to either cases or discs. I can't stand having loosey goosey dvds tipped over this way and that way....it just looks like shit. Mine looks like an actual library....just with nothing checked out.