Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

disney different edition

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-05, 02:54 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
disney different edition

hi i noticed disney come out with all type of edition for their dvd, like platinum, 20th Anniversary , 2 disc special edition and etc... i have a question, what make a movie a platinum edition cause i noticed there are only 5 platinum so far, snow white, aladdin, lion king, beauty and the beast, bambi, what about all the other classic like dumbo, how come that is not on platinum but on 60th Anniversary edition and peter pan, a 2 disc edition. does that mean that these 2 dvd are not the final best version of the dvd? does platinum mean it is the the most feature and the best final version of the movie on dvd or platinum really just a marketing thing for us to rebuy the disc?
Old 03-03-05, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Many of us just as confused as you are.
Old 03-03-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would just assume it's because their making all of their biggest achievements Platinum while the rest get a different kind of treatment. It's like on VHS when you had 'Classics' and 'Masterpieces'. Take a look at films that are Platinum: Snow White, Beauty And The Beast, Lion King, Aladdin, Bambi, compared to other films such as Alice In Wonderland and Sleeping Beauty and so on and so forth, that get different editions. Platinum is for the cream of the crop of Disney.
Old 03-03-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well, it's to piss off the people who appreciate continuity. while there's clearly 40 or 50 'disney anitmated features', we all know snow white and aladdin were far better than the black cauldron or fun and fancy free.

i think we'd all like a 'disney animated feature' series, where there was no difference between editions on the spine, a la criterion. but bambi >> melody time. so bambi gets platinum, melody time gets a dutiful release, but comparably less treatment.

just look at it this way. they're paying close attention to the ones that really deserve it. so it can't be too bad. even if it does look less appealing on the shelf.
Old 03-03-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My God.. the lack of proper grammar and capital letter use in this thread alone is astounding.
Old 03-03-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
My God.. the lack of proper grammar and capital letter use in this thread alone is astounding.
fyi, i believe you might mean: My God . . . the lack . . .

make sure you use your ellipses correctly.

aren't you helpful

Last edited by pdinosaur; 03-03-05 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-03-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cloudspear
does platinum mean it is the the most feature and the best final version of the movie on dvd
I think history has shown that there is no such thing as a "final version" of anything on DVD, especially not with Disney.

The answer to your question is that Disney plans these things very far in advance, so after a few years things tend to look random.

The "Platinum" editions were a list of 8 titles (I'm sure someone has a link to them) that Disney planned to release on DVD -- one per year -- and then remove from circulation. Of course, since this time, they've released a bunch of other great 2-DVD sets of animated titles, and also removed *those* from circulation, so the whole platinum label doesn't mean much any more. It's just a name. It's an old idea from back before Disney realized that they could make a crapload of cash by putting out their DVD titles quicker...
Old 03-03-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by pdinosaur
i think we'd all like a 'disney animated feature' series, where there was no difference between editions on the spine, a la criterion. but bambi >> melody time. so bambi gets platinum, melody time gets a dutiful release, but comparably less treatment.

<shameless plug>Disney Collection </shameless plug>

In all seriousness, the person that came up with the "limited issue" and "gold series" was fired. Both lines were abandoned when the new guy came up with the current scheme.

And like mentioned already, only the cream of the crop get the Platinum treatment.
Old 03-03-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

fired? really? that's too cool.

i need to make cover art for all my dvds.

mmm. 400-plus dvds that all flow together.

and thank you for not spelling disney across the 40 some dvds. that's be uber cheesy. hehehe
Old 03-03-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
<shameless plug>Disney Collection </shameless plug>

In all seriousness, the person that came up with the "limited issue" and "gold series" was fired. Both lines were abandoned when the new guy came up with the current scheme.

And like mentioned already, only the cream of the crop get the Platinum treatment.

Michael you have fantastic covers. I never ventured much into that sub-forum.

Last edited by island007; 03-03-05 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-03-05, 02:20 PM

I think one time they said that all their releases are on a 7 year "vault" rotation. During the hyatis they might add features and almost always change the cover art work.
Old 03-03-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cloudspear
hi i noticed disney come out with all type of edition for their dvd, like platinum, 20th Anniversary , 2 disc special edition and etc... i have a question, what make a movie a platinum edition cause i noticed there are only 5 platinum so far, snow white, aladdin, lion king, beauty and the beast, bambi, what about all the other classic like dumbo, how come that is not on platinum but on 60th Anniversary edition and peter pan, a 2 disc edition. does that mean that these 2 dvd are not the final best version of the dvd? does platinum mean it is the the most feature and the best final version of the movie on dvd or platinum really just a marketing thing for us to rebuy the disc?
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/releasetypes.htm
Old 03-03-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Old 03-03-05, 06:44 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Maybe you should be on Grammartalk instead of dvdtalk.
Old 03-03-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by g
Maybe you should be on Grammartalk instead of dvdtalk.
Booyah!!!