Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Red Dwarf News - Series VII & VIII (merged)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Red Dwarf News - Series VII & VIII (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-05, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know they will go back after these releases and release those remastered series I-VI... but we need a movie or Series 9 ASAP to finish where the VIII cliffhanger left off.
Old 06-03-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Red Dwarf News - VII & VIII - 3 Disc Sets!

New update from the official site today... Next year wont come soon enough!

With Red Dwarf's VII and VIII both going out in three disc sets, one would think the production could breathe easy, safe in the knowledge that there's more than enough space on the discs for everything we could want to include.

Wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Despite one disc of each series being entirely devoted to bonus material – documentaries, featurettes, outtakes, deleted scenes – the sheer bulk of what we have to talk about means that some extras are going to have to slide to the episode discs.

So what's the cause of this peculiar spreadage? Unfortunately, it's just too damn early to reveal many of the surprises in store – including one that will knock your week-old socks off – but one of the basic reasons is simple mathematics. Eight episodes means more interview material, and more deleted scenes.

And while the pressure of deleted scenes is taken off Series VII somewhat by virtue of the Xtended episodes being included, Series VIII is chock full of the buggers. Well over an hour of material, in fact!

VII has its own Everest to climb, though. This is the series where (in no particular order), Rob Grant quit, Chris Barrie left (temporarily as it turned out), Chloλ Annett/Kochanski joined, Ed Bye returned and the shooting style changed completely. That's a lot of stuff to get on the record – and that's before we cover the major issue of the model/CGI effects.

Both series documentaries – Back From The Dead and The Tank – will eventually run at around 90 minutes each, which is 10-15 longer than previously. Some of this is also due to having more episodes to discuss, too – although Series VIII's doc will contain Back in the Red and Pete to their own segments, rather than split the discussion between the multiple parts.

Another interesting aspect of the edit is the new 'feature-length' version of Back in the Red. Aside from joining the various parts together, Doug Naylor has isolated four brief Deleted Scenes which, due to their quality (having been cut for time) are now to be incorporated into the new edition.

There's obviously a great deal more to talk about – including one DVD extra that will surprise many and hopefully impress everyone – but right now we have to return to The Shed and select bluescreen backgrounds for our interviewees. Danny John-Jules in front of a wardrobe, maybe...?

More DVD details will follow soon...
Old 06-03-05, 02:02 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
THREE DISC SETS!!!..... Holy Moly! be still my beating heart....

well at least next year's projected release date will give me some time for me to catch up on all the episodes and extras...
Old 07-09-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Red Dwarf News - VII Lost Episode - Updated 7/15

From the official site yesterday...

Time for a shaggy GELF story. Just a quick one.

Back in 1996, when Red Dwarf VII was in production, various writers were invited to submit storylines for the series to ease the load on the newly-divorced (from writing partner Rob Grant) co-creator Doug Naylor. A lucky few were invited to write scripts from those outlines. And most of those scripts were, after rewrites, filmed.

Except one.

The script was Identity Within. The author was John McKay, and the story revolved around the Cat finally getting his end away before death takes him. Scripts were given to the cast, rewrites performed by Blue writer Kim Fuller, and the whole thing might have been filmed... if it hadn't been way too expensive to shoot.

So out went female cat Ora, evil beast Zural, a marketplace teeming with GELFs and a grotty boozer in deep space. In their place, Doug Naylor penned Duct Soup – no big sets, no major guest characters, and certainly not a pub scene populated like a Star Wars cantina.

Why are we telling you this? Well, hopefully the pictures will have given you a clue...

On the morning of Monday, May 9th Chris Barrie came to Shepperton to record a reading of the script in preparation for its use on the Series VII DVD. For three hours Dwarf sound supervisor Jem Whippey recorded the lost episode – known around here as 'IDW' – complete with stage direction, character voices and awkward GELF speak.

Chris worked from the first draft of the script, keeping this as close as possible to McKay's original intentions. Handily, this is also the only version to feature Rimmer – which offered Chris an excellent chance to get back into character.

Anyone who's heard the talking book chapters on the previous discs will know just how good Chris is at performing as Lister, Cat and Kryten, and it was a joy to hear him going at it full-pelt (that's another GELF pun, by the way).

Subsequently Jem was to be found locked in The Shed with the audio files, editing the best takes together and adding key music and sound effects. The final version has background sound very much akin to the Dwarf TV series, along with the odd bazookoid blast and Starbug woosh. The top moment so far, though, is a scene described as having 'Mission: Impossible-style music' and includes the Cat banging his head and falling over a lot. It's comedy heaven on the ears!

This is just the beginning, though. We've also had a storyboard artist working day and night to produce images that will run alongside the finished audio. These will be edited together, including the odd camera move or zoom, to create a fully-fledged 'almost' episode of Red Dwarf!

Could this be the best bonus feature ever? It's certainly up there. You can discuss the merits right here on the Red Dwarf Webboard.

More DVD Details will follow soon...

Last edited by Rammsteinfan; 07-16-05 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Updated
Old 07-09-05, 03:22 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Only 8 more mos...
Old 07-09-05, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow, awesome!!!

but yeah, such a long wait. meh.
Old 07-09-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They should've just filmed the whole thing.
Old 07-09-05, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Once again, these guys proving that they are the BEST in TV on DVD!
Old 07-09-05, 08:14 PM

Cool news, but for a minute I thought the 7th series was going to be short an episode.
Old 07-09-05, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

lol I didnt think of that when I posted it but now that you said it... does sound like a negative thing at first. LOL
Old 07-10-05, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I thought it was going to be missing one too. It is pretty nice in this day and age to see something like this created out of sheer love. Too bad we can't get more announcements like this.
Old 07-10-05, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jlm71176
Cool news, but for a minute I thought the 7th series was going to be short an episode.
I thought that too, LOL
I must admit I'm more interested in getting Series VII now, because of the extended episodes and the way it follows on from Series VI (can't remember how exactly).
The "Blue" episode with Rimmer is hilarious

I still think they should of brought back Clare Grogan as Kochanski, instead of the annoying, PC Chloe Annet.

I can't wait for this lost episode, it sounds a fantastic idea to "re-construct" it (kind of).

When is this out on UK R2? It should be November since Series VI was released in Feb wasnt it?

Last edited by grim_tales; 07-10-05 at 04:25 AM.
Old 07-10-05, 09:52 AM
Banned

I've been resisting for the past 3yrs from watching any Red Dwarf with anticipation I'll be able to watch the whole series in one sitting.

Too damn long!
Old 07-16-05, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Updated info on the LOST EPISODE:

It was penned by John McKay – subsequently writer for, among other things, The Canterbury Tales and movie Crush – and was the first Cat-centric episode since Series I's Waiting For God (which, even then, was actually more of a Lister story).

But in addition to the audio track – featuring Chris's spot-on character impersonations and narration, not to mention a background effects track akin to the 'Red Dwarf Radio Show' audio tapes – there will also be a collection of storyboards shown on screen.

Board artist Neil Maguire – an old hand with a pencil, who's worked on everything from Bulletproof Monk to the new Captain Scarlet TV series – has busied himself to provide the 200+ images that will illustrate the audio, capturing the spirit and intent of this lost show.

As you can see from the pictured examples, these are not just 'straight' boards. They also feature a colour wash, which adds detail to backgrounds and lighting effects to faces. It's just another layer of texture that should make 'IDW' one of the most fascinating DVD extras yet produced for Dwarf. Once created, the images are then scanned in and edited to the audio track by jack-of-all-trades Chris Veale.

The final result is a 45-minute 'almost' episode of Red Dwarf. Sure, rewrites would have altered the script substantially, and the production design and budget would have taken its toll on expensive sequences such as the GELF marketplace and multi-lifeform drinking establishment – but essentially this is it, this is Identity Within.

Old 07-16-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I've been resisting for the past 3yrs from watching any Red Dwarf with anticipation I'll be able to watch the whole series in one sitting.

Too damn long!
Funny! I'm doing the same thing!

I've seen the odd handful of episodes over the years and liked the feel of the show but knew I was always missing the series thread. So I've been collecting, waiting to be able to run the entire series, with extras. Only a couple to go!
Old 07-22-05, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Red Dwarf News - VII Xtended bits

About the updated effects...

Not to rake over old ground or anything, but not everything with Series VII's model effects went entirely to plan. You'll have heard the story by now – problems with the delivered shots, a last-minute CGI save – but the Series VII DVD will be providing the full SP for the first time.

But that's not what we're talking about today. Today we're giving you a first look at Tikka to Ride: Remastered.

remastered

Now, before anyone does the crazy dance (usually followed by the traditional Webboard rant), Series VII will be appearing on DVD exactly as it was shown on TV. It will also be shown in its Xtended format, with new scenes and no laugh track.

remastered

But Tikka to Ride will also be available to view in an all-new Remastered edition – replacing all that hurried Starbug footage with brand new CGI of an impeccable standard. Thanks to the joys of multi-angle viewing, these effects shots will be available via a menu option, and will be included on both the original and Xtended versions of the episodes.

remastered

So why just this one episode? And why now?

Truth time. Neither Doug Naylor, nor FX creator Chris Veale, were ever happy with the CGI in Series VII. When the fan reaction was one of disappointment, it was nothing compared to the guys in the hot-seat(s). The shots – which you can read all about here – did what they needed to, they told the story on time and for the remaining pennies in the budget. But they weren't how anybody wanted them to be.

remastered

So, out of GNP's own pocket (rather than the DVD budget), a series of new shots have been created for one episode – just to show how the series should have looked.

remastered

And... well, just check out the screenshots. These images – which look even better moving than they do static – do total justice to how things might have been.

remastered

They're inserted into the show at the exact same points as the current FX shots, replacing all of the existing (even those in the title sequence) save for the splitting Starbug Xtended finale. All sound FX have likewise been retained – and let me tell you, that whole Voyager-spoof at the start of Tikka Xtended is now just jaw-droppingly cool.

remastered

It's an example and an experiment. An opportunity. And it certainly seems to have paid off. Without the cash to fund an entire series-worth of remastering, Tikka to Ride: Remastered gives a succulent taster of the series that almost was.

remastered

If nothing else, the fan reaction is going to be very interesting!

Tikka To Ride: Remastered
Click to enlarge Tikka To Ride: Remastered
Click to enlarge

Old 08-19-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Red Dwarf News - VII Final Specs - 3 Discs

The seventh Red Dwarf DVD release is slated for November 7th. It is, by far, our most ambitious to date – both in terms of content, and in terms of the discs themselves. Authoring house Deluxe Digital have described it as their most complex job ever – not just on Dwarf, but any DVD. It's a release to be proud of, and it seems to have come round so quickly!

Disc 1

Episodes
Tikka to Ride, Stoke Me A Clipper and Ouroboros. All appear as broadcast in 1997.

Xtended Episodes
Tikka to Ride and Ouroboros can also be played in their longer versions, with additional scenes and no audience laugh track.

Tikka to Ride: Remastered
See how the Series VII CGI effects should have looked. Available on both original and Xtended versions of the episode.

Cast Commentary
Featuring Chris Barrie, Craig Charles, Danny John-Jules, Robert Llewellyn and Chloλ Annett. Commentaries appear on Xtended versions where available.

Identity Within
The 'lost' episode of Red Dwarf by John McKay, presented in storyboard form and performed by Chris Barrie.

Disc 2

Episodes
Duct Soup, Blue, Beyond a Joke, Epideme and Nanarchy. All appear as broadcast in 1997.

Xtended Episode
Duct Soup can also be played in its longer version, with additional scenes and no audience laugh track.

Cast Commentary
Featuring Chris Barrie, Craig Charles, Danny John-Jules, Robert Llewellyn and Chloλ Annett – plus Norman Lovett. Commentaries appear on Xtended versions where available.

Fan Films
Two competition-winning shorts made by Red Dwarf fans. With introduction by Doug Naylor.

Disc 3

"Back From The Dead" Original Documentary
A 90-minute look at the making of Series VII, featuring cast and crew interviews plus never-before-seen footage.

Deleted Scenes
Over 40 minutes of deleted and extended moments.

Smeg Ups
A compilation of outtakes and fluffs.

Trailers
The almost-lost Series VII trailer taken from a home VHS recording, plus Kryten introductions for the Xtended episodes and 10th Anniversary Smeg Ups broadcast. (Also featuring Rimmer and Lister and recorded alongside the Xtended ending to Tikka to Ride.)

Behind the Scenes
Robert Llewellyn's on-set video diary, plus the BBC's How Do They Do That? programme visits the effects department.

Raw FX Footage
A compilation of filmed model FX and CGI created by both the BBC and Chris Veale.

"Burning Rubber" Featurette
Those boys can crash any vehicle you give them... (Featuring the song 'Buck Rogers' by Feeder.)

"Dave Hollins" Radio Sketch
A chance to hear two of the original Son of Clichι radio sketches that led to the creation of Red Dwarf.

Isolated Music Cues
Instant access to the various elements of Howard Goodall's Series VII score.

Photo Gallery
A massive collection of production images and artwork.

Weblink
Link to the official website. Um – which would be this one.

Subtitles
English subtitles for episodes and extras.

Easter Eggs
Several bonus extras are hidden within the DVD menus – can you find them all?

Once again, aside from the 'biggies' – Identity Within, Back From the Dead and the newly remastered Tikka to Ride – we're taking the chance to include some choice tit-bits that might otherwise vanish into the ether. Things like Kryten's introductions often become lost in the mists of time, and DVD gives us a chance to create something of a historical archive.

It's pretty rare for the discs to include sections of other shows, though – and in that respect How Do They Do That? is a relative rarity. For those unfamiliar with the clip, it reveals how some of the miniature and model effects were created for the seventh series, with interviews and behind-the-scenes footage. Lengthy clips from a non-GNP programme are generally too costly to include, but we stretched it in this case, as the chance to see Peter Wragg and his team working their magic was worth every penny.

In the weeks between now and November we'll be bringing you news on the menus and packaging, plus further info on deleted scenes, music cues and chapter points. You can find more details on the cast and crew interviews, deleted scenes, remastering and other elements in previous DVD Details instalments. The links are just over there, in the margin. Go ahead, we'll wait.

The upcoming Red Dwarf DVD releases are as follows:

Region Location Series Date RD Shop Link
2 UK/Europe VII November 7, 2005 Click Here
1 America VII February/March 2006 Click Here
4 Australasia VII November 2005 Click Here
2 UK/Europe VIII February 2006 Click Here
1 America VIII February/March 2006 Click Here
4 Australasia VIII February 2006 Click Here
Old 08-20-05, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
11.07.05 is a monday
Old 08-20-05, 06:55 AM

always raining on other peoples parades Cameron.

Good News whether it be a monday or not.
Old 08-20-05, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

yah...I know...I manage the jerk store...

just trying to keep things straight...good news for everyone none the less
Old 08-20-05, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well its from the official site so its prob just a typo unless dvd's come out on Mondays in the UK.
Old 08-20-05, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
Well its from the official site so its prob just a typo unless dvd's come out on Mondays in the UK.
Bingo! They do come out on a Monday here.
Old 08-20-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ohhhhh....ok so this is R2 stuff.....i suppose they will follow suit here in the states
Old 08-20-05, 12:43 PM

Smeggin' great
Old 08-20-05, 02:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cameron

yah...I know...I manage the jerk store...

just trying to keep things straight...good news for everyone none the less
I slept with your wife.

To pee some more on the parade, only 6 more mos here in the US.

BTW:For those with region free players, CD-WOW is selling both S5&S6 sets complete for $15 shipped.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.