Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Mary Tyler Moore Show, season 2 coming this summer!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Mary Tyler Moore Show, season 2 coming this summer!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TV Shows on DVD has indicated July 12th will be the release date!
Old 04-06-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by billy9215
The audio was crap on Season 1, rent first if possible.
It was probably the best audio source available at the time for television. It has already been reported that the upcoming Bob Newhart Season One set has very tinny audio (and NO extras on the set) but the reviewer stated that the audio on this set is what TV at the time sounded like. Not every DVD set can be improved especially when using old TV source materials.
Old 04-06-05, 02:10 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I dont know what that guy was smoking.

The MTM Season 1 set is terrific. Shot on Color Film in 1971 (where most things would look like utter crap) and it looks great! Great extras and menus too!

Bring on Season 2!
Old 04-09-05, 08:57 PM

Nice S2 price at Deep Discount DVD: $21.96!
Old 04-10-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I picked up Season 1 at walmart yesterday for 14.44 and it looks great. I might splurge 21.00 or so for season 2. I kind of doubt there will be any extras though.
Old 04-11-05, 10:49 AM

^I pick one up Saturday. Same place, same price.
Old 04-11-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ernestrp
I kind of doubt there will be any extras though.
Rumor has it that extras for season 2 were already completed a couple years ago. So as far as getting extras in this next set 'we might just make it after all'.
Old 04-11-05, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by ernestrp
I picked up Season 1 at walmart yesterday for 14.44 and it looks great. ...
Wow, that's about $20 less than the best online price per dvdpricesearch.com. Wonder why it's so low?

I liked the show well enough back in the day, but not enough to buy the box set, but at that low of a price I might be tempted.
Old 04-11-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Fox is realizing charging 50.00 for season one is what killed the sales potential. When I see TV shows, especially classic shows that have made their money back on the series hand over fist in syndication over the last 30 years, for more than 29.99 SRP, I refuse to buy it. With new shows, it's almost expected to pay a little more because they are not making the syndication money off the series yet, but I don't see any reason why older shows should ever be more than 25.00 in the store (since nobody hardly ever charges full SRP).

And there was inconsitency in pricing on Fox's part. I could pick up a four DVD set of MASH brand new for 25.00 at Best Buy and there was MTM season one priced at around $40.00. I did make an exception on that one (and I think I had some gift certificates or something so I didn't have to pay that much for it) but I think season one would have sold more copies off the bat if they priced it along the lines of MASH.

I would be interested to see how much more season one starts selling now that season two is coming out. I knew people who refused to buy season one because Fox announced they shelved the plans for season two.
Old 04-11-05, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by speedy1961
It has already been reported that the upcoming Bob Newhart Season One set has very tinny audio (and NO extras on the set) but the reviewer stated that the audio on this set is what TV at the time sounded like.
The audio on The Bob Newhart Show was always bad. It's not what TV sounded like at the time. It's just that the TV speakers then weren't generally good enough to reveal how bad the audio for that show was. In addition, the show used lots of looping and audio from different takes than the images being used, so it often sounds incongruous with the on-screen action.

Peter Bonerz, who played Jerry on the show and directed 29 episodes, said: "We had the worst sound mixer. You just wouldn't believe it. He was just the worst."

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
Rumor has it that extras for season 2 were already completed a couple years ago. So as far as getting extras in this next set 'we might just make it after all'.
This is not a rumor at all. It's a fact that the extras for MTM S2 were completed in late 2002, just after S1 was released. Those extras are:

* A new 40-minute documentary called "Eight Characters in Search of a Sitcom."
* Commentary for selected episodes.
* A Mad magazine parody of the show from the 1970s.
* A gallery of photos and script pages with original notes.
* A 1970s WCCO-TV (Minneapolis' CBS station) documentary about the making of the show's opening credits, which were filmed in locations around Minneapolis.

Originally Posted by calhoun07
And there was inconsitency in pricing on Fox's part. I could pick up a four DVD set of MASH brand new for 25.00 at Best Buy and there was MTM season one priced at around $40.00.
The initial pricing was different but not inconsistent. MTM S1 cost substantially more for Fox to produce than the bare-bones MASH set, so the former cost more to buy, too. There's nothing inconsistent about that. In fact, if anything, MASH was the only relatively low-priced TV DVD in the Fox catalog at the time of MTM S1's release, so that is where the inconsistency was, not the other way around. But you're right that MTM S1's pricing was it's undoing. The show was just too familiar to most buyers, who didn't care enough about it to spend that much on it.

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I knew people who refused to buy season one because Fox announced they shelved the plans for season two.
Things have looked grim for MTM S2, but Fox never made any such announcement. Once S2 was delayed, Fox said all along that it was hoping to find a way to release it someday.
Old 04-12-05, 01:40 AM

Peter Bonerz said: "We had the worst sound mixer. You just wouldn't believe it. He was just the worst."
Old 04-13-05, 07:43 PM

Fox just posted the official announcement of The Mary Tyler Moore Show: The Complete Second Season. Release date is July 26, price is only $29.98. The format is a three disc set with two single-sided discs and one double-sided disc. Here is the cover art.

And it looks like it will include all the special features that were produced for the second season back in 2002 before the first season came out. (Because these were produced years ago, I wouldn't expect future seasons to be as packed full of stuff. but it's good that they're releasing the features that were already produced.) Here are the special features:

- Commentary for "The Birds... and um... Bees" with Treva Silverman (writer), Jay Sandrich (director) and Allan Burns (co-creator)
- Commentary for "The Six-and-a-Half-Year Itch" with Edward Asner, Treva Silverman, Jay Sandrich
- Commentary for "The Slaughter Affair" with Gavin Macleod and Peter Baldwin (director)

Bonus features on disc 3:

- Eight Characters in Search of a Sitcom (new, 40 minute documentary about season 2)
- Moore On Sunday
- 1971-72 Emmy Winners - Edward Asner: Outstanding Performance by and Actor In A Supporting Role; Valerie Harper: Outstanding Performance by An Actress In A Supporting Role
- Love Is All Around Karaoke: Season One Version; Season Two - Seven Version
- Newsbeat Segment DM-1509
- Photo Gallery
- Mad Magazine Parody: The Mary Tailor Made Show
- All-Star Trivia Challenge
- EASTER EGG: Fake Credits
Old 04-13-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

VERY NICE