Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Replacing VHS

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-05, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I probably still have hundreds of VHS tapes, both legit and copied-from-tv. The ones in good shape, I stuck up on Half.com and tried to get a few bucks for [did sell quite a few.]
I haven't upgraded a whole lot...

Starship Troopers [gave VHS to my dad]
Rocky Horror [2 disk] [gave VHS to my brother]
Star Wars trilogy [the VHS's keepcase is totally trashed]
Simpsons s1-4 [I have about 12 VHS tapes, taped from the syndicated episodes].
maybe one or two more.
Old 02-24-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only had about 30-40 VHS tapes and I've pretty much replaced them all with DVD.
Old 02-24-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
Anyway, I only have two VHS store-bought tapes here now - Kenneth Branagh's version of Hamlet (which we're all still waiting for on DVD!) and Oueen Margot, which I simply can bother to either part with or upgrade (I think it's R2 only).
Queen Margot (R1) is on DVD, I have it.

I replaced all that I had that I still watched. Only have 2 left (movies) and about 20 hours of taped 'Style' with Elsa Klench (love watching 80's fashion).

The Keep (1983)
Wavelength (1983)

I don't even have a VHS machine anymore but have been thinking of getting a dual recorder to put the final VHS on DVDs.
Old 02-24-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just gave my VHS away, with the exception of The Wild Bunch and Dawn Of The Dead, which I use every so often at work.

Altimus Prime: I'm sure you already know this, but The Fugitive has been released twice... The current DVD is already a SE with an improved transfer. Granted, it seems like a good title for WB to triple dip on with a 2 disc release, but that may be awhile. So, if you really want to replace that VHS, the current SE is definitely worth picking up as is and you can find it for < $10... It's $8.04 at DDD.
Old 02-24-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

mine are all gone except for some home recordings (in-car footage) and a few anime titles that haven't made it to DVD yet, like Space Battleship Yamato (Star Blazers made into a movie).
Old 02-24-05, 02:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cameron
replaced them all....gave the vhs to my parents and friends.....another good way to get rid of vhs is donate them to a art/film school...you can get a tax write off.
Well true, but if you don't have enough Schedule A Itemized Deductions, then it won't make a whole hell of a lot of difference.

PS - I work for H&R Block.
Old 02-24-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I owned about 100 movies on VHS and have replaced all but my widescreen copy of The Spirit of St. Louis.
Old 02-24-05, 04:56 PM

I re bought mine on DVD. Didnt have many.. maybe 50.
Any movies that hand't been realesed on DVD I upgraded myself.

I still have all my old wwf/wcw/ecw tapes.. those are staying for now.
Old 02-24-05, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I collect films, not format, so I have a bunch of widescreen VHS still. Also music video and performances and OAR/1:33 old films. And I will have a bunch of DVDs after HD-DVD comes out. Just ain't got da funds to replace all that stuff.
Old 02-24-05, 06:17 PM
Banned

Upgraded most of my vhs tapes as they came out on dvd most reecently star wars, indiana jones and dawn of the dead (original), the only thing i havent upgraded is my james bond movies, i dont think i ever will either, i just dont even really like james bond that much anymore, so the vhs tapes will do fine, i may upgrade License to Kill and Goldeneye someday.
Old 02-24-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I upgraded most of my tapes . The only VHS tapes I kept are movies that aren't released on DVD yet, and children stuff. (Disney, Star Wars). The rest I gave away or tossed.
Old 02-25-05, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Too many tapes recorded off TV to replace. Tons of stuff that will never come out on DVD.

Even shows I have on VHS that are now showing up on DVD, I can't get rid of the tapes for now because my VHS aren't in season order.
Old 02-25-05, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JP5683
Too many tapes recorded off TV to replace. Tons of stuff that will never come out on DVD.

Even shows I have on VHS that are now showing up on DVD, I can't get rid of the tapes for now because my VHS aren't in season order.
Ditto to everything you just said!
Old 02-25-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I only have a very tiny collection but mine are all gone. Once I got a DVD player a few years ago, I lost ALL interest in tapes. Never watched another after my first DVD.
Old 02-25-05, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by JP5683

I also say ditto.

RE: the poster who mentioned "Video 45s" I remember them and have a couple, I believe it was strictly a SONY thing. Of those the ones I think I have are: Blondie, Berlin, Stevie Nicks, Missing Persons (That might not be a Video 45), I also have a Stevie Nicks bootleg [gasp] tape that I had gotten at some sort of convention, I only got it because it was taped at a local arena and I thought it was cool. Of course now that the arena doesn't exist (The Capital Center, Largo, MD) it is kinda historical. Unfortunately the quality was never really good. I decorated the plain standard VHS cardboard box/sleve with some magazine and newspaper cliped photos. Even if it had been in great condition to begin with, I could never be able to sell it.

A couple of keeper VHS tapes for me are the Theatre version Star Wars with special enhanced THX sound (just before the blah special editions) unfortunately when I got it way back when I didn't know it was the pan & scan versions. I only opened the New Hope to find out the P&S bad news.

I noticed when I had gotten the DVD of a Dr. Who episode The Five Doctors that the DVD version had new special effects added which are different from the original VHS version so I managed to get a good quality copy of that and will keep it.
Old 03-04-05, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
The sad thing is that there are also a *bunch* of 80s music videos - ..... and the *original* Duran Duran compliation video, in which the videos are "mixed" together and also has 2-3 videos you can't even get on their "exhaustive" video compilation DVD. Hell, that Duran Duran tape cost me (OK, my folks, actually) $69.99 back in 1983 and we had to drive 30 miles one-way to order it (and pick it up six weeks later... ahhh, the early days of VHS!)
I'll go you one better on the Duran Duran.... I have it on Betamax, along with Do They Know It's Christmas, and a few others. I also have a stack of around 25 VHS music videos that I'd replace with DVD in a heartbeat if there was a DVD to be had. I didn't have many movies on VHS, but I've replaced every one with a DVD when possible.

I'm thrilled Miami Vice has made it to DVD. We taped that every week, and I've still got the beta tapes.
Old 03-04-05, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
VHS? What was that? All my "old" stuff is on laserdisc, which STILL looks and sounds great!
I've got some obscure stuff on VHS (like Can I Do It Til I Need Glasses?), since the low-budget companies couldn't put out laserdiscs, and some of those I've transferred to DVD in case the tapes wear out.
Most of the "Video 45" titles were also on 8-inch laserdiscs, I have a number of them including Missing Persons and David Bowie. I have the Duran Duran video on CED Videodisc, a format I collect only because it's dead- the closest thing video has to 8-track tape.
Old 03-10-05, 02:46 AM

I'm not ashamed to say that I still have plenty of VHS. I dont see the point of getting rid of them. The movie is the most important thing to me, not necessarily that I have to have the best format for it. Some things just aren't practical. If I just concentrate on replacing VHS with DVD,then there goes my funds for adding *new* movies. Some VHS I have I enjoy, but dont want to spend more money by buying again. (although I have replaced some)
And of course, there's the fact that not all movies are on DVD...to me, getting rid of the VCR for this fact alone is a shame. Just because a movie isn't on DVD yet (and may never be) doesn't mean it shouldn't be watched. Again, to me the movie itself is the most important thing.
Old 03-10-05, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JCFantasy23
And of course, there's the fact that not all movies are on DVD...to me, getting rid of the VCR for this fact alone is a shame. Just because a movie isn't on DVD yet (and may never be) doesn't mean it shouldn't be watched. Again, to me the movie itself is the most important thing.
Couldn't agree any more strongly.
Old 03-10-05, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've replaced all but a few that are unavailable on DVD for one reason or another, be they unreleased, imported stuff or bootleg compilations of concert stuff and the likes. Sold a boatload of them to the pawn shops when I first switched for DVD for $2 apiece, then $1 apiece. In the end I was taking them to Goodwill or throwing them away........18 years of accumulated tapes, geez. My discs are going to be staying; not everything is a must have in any better format than what I have at this point.
Old 03-10-05, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

With the March 1st release of "My Own Private Idaho", ALL of my previous VHS movies are now on DVD! I got rid of the VHS machine a few months ago when it died and didn't even think about replacing it. IIRC, as soon as I realized that DVD was probably going to be the next "thing", I sold off all but the "absolute must have in the house at all times" movies and went about replacing as they were released.

Yes, the movie itself IS the most important thing, but IMO, the quality of the format is a close second.
Old 03-10-05, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Although I've ended up giving away many many VHS movies, there are still some titles that sell well on eBay - here's some of the titles (all out and/or officially announced for DVD release) that I've sold since the first of the year, along with the price I was paid for them:

Letter To Three Wives - $6.99
Ride The Wild Surf - $13.00
Knife In The Water - $5.99
Random Harvest - $18.01
Crossroads (Macchio) - $8.27
Blackboard Jungle - $16.25
Fury (Spencer Tracy) - $12.50
Lost Honor Of Katarina Blum - $10.50
Wild In The Streets - $10.50
L'il Abner - $20.50

In several cases, I get more for the VHS than I spend for the DVD. Of course, a lot of titles only sell for $3-5 each, but it all adds up and pays for a lot of DVDs!
Old 03-10-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Originally Posted by ShagMan
mine are all gone except for some home recordings (in-car footage) and a few anime titles that haven't made it to DVD yet, like Space Battleship Yamato (Star Blazers made into a movie).
Just a heads up, that is out on DVD, in English only (AFAIK,) and in 1.33:1 Full Frame (I presume that is the correct AR, since this was a TV series.)

I would love to see the original Japanese series and movies come out here, with Japanese dialogue and English subtitles (and NO edits!)

I never really had much VHS, as I got my Laserdisc player in 1990. I have about 350 Laserdiscs, although at least 150 of them are anime series, around 7 discs each. I don't mind replacing the Laserdiscs with DVDs, although I will hang on to some Laserdiscs that have edited or changed versions on DVD (The original Star Wars trilogy, The Santa Clause, etc.)

There are still quite a few titles I have on Laserdisc that haven't made it to DVD yet, such as many of the Wheeler & Woolsey films.
Old 03-10-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I replace my VHS when I find it cheap on DVD, and I do intend to replace as much as possible eventually. But I don't think I'll find half the stuff I have on VHS on DVD anyway. Luckily I probably only have under 100 VHS. The ones I replaced up to two years ago, I sold for a few bucks apiece at a yard sale.
Old 03-10-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have replaced some tapes like Raiders and the other Indy movies and Star wars. Still have a bunch of tapes recorded of TV shows and movies from TCM.

Funds are pretty much the deciding factor of when I will replace them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.