Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Crappy DVD Packaging

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
Alien Quadrilogy is approximately 18 feet long when unfolded. I had to buy a bigger house just to open the damn thing.
It's the worst and the coolest packaging at the same time.
Old 02-22-05, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Master Shake 05
i dont want to be. tarntino had no reason to just come in and tell me how to run my life. its uncalled for and has nothing to do with the topic. i dont want this closed down because it is very informative, but if it must than so be it...
That's fine if the thread is informative. Posts like "seems people don't like digipacks" and "if the disc gets scratched, it sucks" posts aren't informative in the least, and it's a bitch wading through your informationless posts to read ones that matter (i.e. everyone elses).

I understand sometimes it takes a minute for the n00bs to fall in line and learn how it is around here, but we've told you countless times and it's starting to piss me off. I'm here for information...not to make friends. The friends I do end up making (and I've met many here), that's just a bonus. I'm here for the information. If I wanted to chat, I'd be on AOL somewhere.

Try to get my threads locked down. It might be kind of hard, seeing as that I don't currently have any 'Heat rocks ur motha' posts floating out there at the moment.

And spell my fucking name right - Tarantino.

Last edited by Tarantino; 02-22-05 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-22-05, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't mind digi packs,like everyone else i hate snappers,another one that really bugs me that i have not seen mentioned in this thread yet are the ones with the velcro tabs to close them like Dances with Wolves SE and Day of the Dead divimax i just hate those things they are hard to grab out of the shelf
Old 02-22-05, 08:15 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Yes, we know.

Originally Posted by scott1598
do you just post for the sake of?

Guys, posts like this aren't contributing to the discussion. If someone has broken a forum rule, please report them. For this thread, I don't see anything too unusual other than these threadcraps.
Old 02-22-05, 08:22 PM

Can't believe nobody picked the TV show Sliders nothing comes close.
Old 02-22-05, 08:50 PM

tv sliders? pleez expalin
Old 02-22-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Uno mas: Blockbuster's cases. Ew.

Can't fit inserts, the plastic is "foggy," there's that security-strip hole in the bottom, there's the big Blockbuster logo on the inside of the case that just screams "THIS WAS NOT BOUGHT NEW, THIS GUY IS CHEAP," and so forth.

-JP
Old 02-22-05, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
JFK 2-disc is about the worst, as someone mentioned before.

Another one that comes to mind is the Six Feet under sets. The "box" holding the inside case does not fit on a DVD shelf, and when you open it, you really crease the top of it. I do like the looks, but no one ever sees it because I threw it in a box full of misfit cases that aren't on the DVD shelves.
Old 02-22-05, 09:08 PM

this isnt really a packaging gripe, but still....i hate it when a series of dvds are released in a certain package and then completely switches in mid-series (i.e. Harry Potter). Its annoying because the cases just sit there on the shelf lookign fine and then bam! they change look + shape and get rid of the whole purpose of collecting the series (besides the DVDs themselves, of course)...

Last edited by Master Shake 05; 02-22-05 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-22-05, 09:11 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anything not in a keep case
Old 02-22-05, 09:19 PM

this isnt really a packaging gripe, but still....i hate it when a series of dvds are released in a certain package and then completely switches in mid-series (i.e. Harry Potter). Its annoying because the cases just sit there on the shelf lookign fine and then bam! they change look + shape and get rid of the whole purpose of collecting the series (besides the DVDs themselves, of course)...
See also: The Matrix trilogy, and Before Sunrise/Sunset. Mainly just snapper/keepcase, but still annoying.

-JP
Old 02-22-05, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly case pisses me off because it sticks out like a sore thumb among my other dvds.
Old 02-22-05, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
See also: The Matrix trilogy, and Before Sunrise/Sunset. Mainly just snapper/keepcase, but still annoying.

-JP
Yeah, that's why I usually wait until the boxset, if I have the patience. I hate the fact that X-men 1.5 and X-men 2 are on opposite sides of my collection.
Old 02-22-05, 09:54 PM

How about the Alias boxsets. All three of the seasons that have been released so far have been differant. At least the first two seasons are the same size. The third one is about an inch shorter and considerably thinner. I held off buying it for a long time, not thinking they were going to replace them or anything, it was just my mini-protest.
Old 02-22-05, 10:03 PM

apparently, the south park season 5 set belongs here...
Old 02-22-05, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly case pisses me off because it sticks out like a sore thumb among my other dvds.
I was annoyed at first that it was a different size than most other cases but I just think it is so pretty that I've long since gotten over my initial annoyance. Now I just keep it seperate with my other odd shaped case like a couple of the Disney Treasure tins and my limited edition 2001: a space odyssey.

The DVD packagingI really hate the most is the Limited Edition of Bad Taste. The reason I hate it is my own stupidity though. It has a center lock that really locks the disc in place, me (being an idiot) tried to remove the disc without pressing the center lock as you can do with most cases managed to snap the disc alomst in two. I know I'm a dumbass!
BTW can anyone tell me if the regular release is the same as disc 1 of the two disc set?
Old 02-22-05, 10:34 PM
mbs

I'm not sure exactly how I feel about it, but the packaging for:

Eraserhead

and I have a love/hate relationship. The 7"x7" box pisses me off every time I reorganize my collection. However, I love having a copy of the film and it's quite nice looking and well done package.
Old 02-22-05, 10:54 PM

Can't believe nobody picked the TV show "Sliders". Nothing comes close. I couldn't get one disc out without scratching another one. The worst.
Old 02-22-05, 11:06 PM

was it one of the "discs are stacked" cases?
Old 02-22-05, 11:08 PM

I know I will be flamed for this. Dawn of the Dead: Ultimate Edition. Don't get me wrong, it is one of my favorite movies and my favorite dvd ever. The Digipak is awful. This was one of the most anticipated dvds ever, I was so disappointed when Anchor Bay announced it would be a digipak.

I was thinking of making my own customs cases for it. Regular size cases, with original poster art on the front of the cases and the spines would line up to make the zombie head from the outer box. If I actually had talent I would do it.

The Day of the Dead Special Edition packaging sucked too, good thing I got an awesome custom from Dvdcoverart.com
Old 02-22-05, 11:11 PM

I don't own it so I'm not 100% certain but I believe that the Sliders discs are just half stuck into a foam cushion so they appear to be suspended in mid-air. The foam isn't really soft either so I can definitely see it causing some scratches when combined with dirt or dust.
Old 02-22-05, 11:13 PM

dude, i understand you dont like the dawn of the dead digipak (i dont either), but its very hard to put that many discs in anything but a digi, unless you put each disc in a seperate slim case and make different cover art for each, which would be kinda a waste.
Old 02-23-05, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I hated the Sliders S1+2 packaging. I just couldn't risk damaging the dvds removing them. What a total waste of a package. Not to mention that the box was smaller than a typical dvd case so it sunk into the dvd rack. I just couldn't understand why they took it to that level. I don't want to keep my dvds half sunk into foam. I would have loved some digipacks or just a fold out cardboard case for that. I saw no reason why they would go for the lame floating effect at the cost of potentially damaging a dvd so easy..

on a side note for reference to Master shake, I would suggest just taking a step back and looking at the threads you post and the post you make in general. The message board may be exciting and new to you, but you should take a few moments to see the sort of posting styles in the various forum sections by various folks. Get a sense on how the flow of the forum works so you dont stick out like a sore thumb. For example, if you post a thread, don't later post how the thread is useless. Make it better by turning it into a topic from the get go. Your "HEAT IS OFF THE HOOK!" thread was lacking on substance from the first post and was heading in the wrong direction. Nothing personal against you. Take a moment to feel what the groove of the forum is and you'll blend in while mixing your own posting style and you should be alright.
Old 02-23-05, 07:47 AM

Anything that's not in a keepcase is crappy
Old 02-23-05, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
apparently, the south park season 5 set belongs here...
Care to elaborate? I do not own it. If you're talking about the discs being in the wrong order, I hardly think that constitutes "Crappy DVD Packaging"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.