Your favorite packaging of a dvd...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-05, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Antoine Doinel.
Old 02-15-05, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not the most unique packaging but I like none the less.
Old 02-15-05, 09:38 PM

I would have to say DigiPacks.
Old 02-15-05, 10:20 PM

I love the packaging for my VIDEODROME: CRITERION COLLECTION. The Beta tape packaging is just too cool.
Old 02-16-05, 12:21 AM

My favorite is the Schindler's List Collector's Box made of Lucite.

Tim
Old 02-16-05, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Simpson Purist
I wish I lived in Japan, they get the best DVD packaging.
I live in Japan and we get the worst prices!Hope they release the DVD's much cheaper!
Old 02-16-05, 01:41 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

.hack//SIGN Volume 1 Limited Edition

Cool looking but impractical...
Old 02-16-05, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like my Homicide: Life on the Street sets. The thin cases are just neat.

Rules of the Game: Criterion and Twin Peaks: Season 1 are pretty nifty also.
Old 02-16-05, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
My goal in starting this thread was to discover some other types of packaging that, while attractive, are ultimately efficient and space-saving. IOW, I'm looking for functionality over looks. Most of these things, like the alien-head, run completely contrary to that - I have yet to see something beat the bench-mark set by the Buffy/Angel sets in regards to practicality, efficiency, sturdyness and space.
Old 02-16-05, 10:12 AM

the Curb Your Enthusiasm season sets
Old 02-16-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LOTR:EE sets. Well-made, and totally classy.
Old 02-16-05, 10:51 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

The new SAW DVD package is terrific. With this, the Director's Series from Palm and several others, I'm becoming partial to clear cases.
Old 02-16-05, 11:15 AM
Retired

LOTR EEs.
Old 02-16-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I like the Monkees season sets, even though they don't fit that well on my shelf. Here's a picture of season 1.

You can't really tell in the picture, but the individual disks are each in a sleeve that looks like a record album. Very appropriate for this show.

Edit: Season 2 pic shows the individual disks.

Edit:
I also really like that Trapper Keeper one (pictured above) for the Afterschool Specials. It's perfect (I was part of the trapper keeper generation, I guess). It didn't quite get me to purchase it, but I thought about it.

Last edited by Ginwen; 02-16-05 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-16-05, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Damn, I was gonna post the Monkees season sets, oh well. Just a side note on that, each of the slipsleeves for the discs are the actual viynl covers for some of their singles. Two of the ones in Season 2, I think, are from Daydream Believer.
Old 02-16-05, 04:06 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Last edited by feral125; 02-16-05 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-16-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
The outside of the After School packages are cool, but the insides disappoint. The Trapper Keepers open out to reveal a pocket for a regular ol' keepcase, plus there's 2 discs inside but each are single side, single layer. Hate when they spread stuff to multiple discs just to make it look like 'more'. The locker ones just open from the top and have nothing special inside, just a keepcase.
Old 02-16-05, 04:09 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
My goal in starting this thread was to discover some other types of packaging that, while attractive, are ultimately efficient and space-saving. IOW, I'm looking for functionality over looks. Most of these things, like the alien-head, run completely contrary to that - I have yet to see something beat the bench-mark set by the Buffy/Angel sets in regards to practicality, efficiency, sturdyness and space.
I'd like to vote for the boxed set seasons of EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND...
Old 02-16-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
I wish I could find a good photo of the packaging for the Smallville season sets. I think they meet all of your critera.
Old 02-16-05, 11:17 PM

Here's a good one...

From AMG:

One could argue that there's a difference between the most detailed and the most appropriate presentation for a film on DVD (just because there's more bonus material available for American Pie than Citizen Kane doesn't mean the former merits a more elaborate package than the latter), and Blue Underground's DVD release of Snuff may well be the ultimate example of this theory in action. Snuff gained lasting infamy after producer and distributor Allan Shackleton launched a wildly successful rumor campaign to convince naive filmgoers that the film's onscreen murders were real (though few would be likely to believe that after seeing the film), and Blue Underground's disc has been designed to give off the air of forbidden fruit. Clad in a package printed to look like a brown paper wrapper (emblazoned with the film's ad slogan, "The film that could only be made in South America ... where life is CHEAP!"), with no credits or signs of its corporate origin (save for a UPC bar code), the Snuff disc has no menu, no chapter stops, no subtitles or captions, and no bonus material -- put it in your player, push play, and it'll just keep playing until you turn it off. In short, it looks and acts like the cheap bootleg you'd expect something like Snuff to be, except for the fact that this movie has never looked this good on home video before -- the full-screen 1.33:1 image makes the most of the film's sometimes muddy camerawork, the source material is surprisingly clean and free of major blemishes, and the Dolby Digital Mono audio is crisp and reasonably clean, making the shoddy faux-dubbing all the more laughable (with Michael and Roberta Findlay's voices easily recognizable to grind house aficionados). Short of including a commentary track or bonus documentary explaining the nuts and bolts of the film's marketing -- one of the creepier and more fascinating frauds in the history of exploitation film history -- this is probably the ideal presentation for Snuff, a DVD that's in on the joke of the movie's lurid history. — Mark Deming
Old 02-17-05, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The outside of the After School packages are cool, but the insides disappoint. The Trapper Keepers open out to reveal a pocket for a regular ol' keepcase, plus there's 2 discs inside but each are single side, single layer. Hate when they spread stuff to multiple discs just to make it look like 'more'. The locker ones just open from the top and have nothing special inside, just a keepcase.
They sure do look cool sitting on the shelf, though!