Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How anal are you about your DVD's? (what's your story thread)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

How anal are you about your DVD's? (what's your story thread)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-05, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fok
Before purchasing a DVD I've got compare 3-5 copies, making sure:

1. The cover paper does not go outside of the outer plastic and there are no rips etc.
2. The shake test to ensure the disk is not loose.
3. There are no scatches on the case
4. The case has not been opened and the it doesn't look like the store has taped on the outer plastic.
5. Making sure the thing is Widescreen

I probably look like a dufus holding 3-5 copies and going over them, but its the way I am.
Originally Posted by scott1598
me too...i always thinking people are looking at me so i try to be sly and take 1 or two copies at a time and then put them in the back and keep checking one at a time until i find the best. it drives me mad!
Geez... if we are all doing that... I probably shouldn't feel embarrassed next time I am there

Also, I sometimes buy mutliple copies of a movie I absolutely love. But then... I might just get a response like this one...
that is the dumbest thing i ever did hear. sell it to me at retail, no hassle. no fuss, no waiting.
Old 02-09-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In some of the things I do...I guess some would call it anal. In others....I'd call it protecting my investment.

I encase all of my library titles in re-sealable plastic sleeves. Similar to those I used in the 70's and 80's for my thousands of LP's. It keeps the cases and the discs in mint condition, which is the whole point. It does not make the library look ugly or weird.....it makes it look loved and well cared for. If thats being anal...then I'm the king of assholes, so look no further.

I dust my shelving daily.(wood floors)

I keep everything that comes with the dvd. Slipcases, worthless one-sheet chapter stops, ad cards.

I give the "shake-test" whenever I shop local retail. I never have to take back a damaged disc because I nip it in the bud. I hate wasting time. I usually open most of my "local" buys right out in the parking lot. Why waste time and gas having to bring it back? Also....I spend my time searching the shelves for that mint copy...the one without banged up corners and funky wrapping. If someone is watching me thinking I'm nuts...maybe a miracle will happen and they will actually learn something.

I let nobody fondle and drool on my dvds. My library is located in the "Film Vault" and is locked away for the most part. I'm not being as ass with my library...I just don't want it fucked up or stolen. Trust has to be earned...and nobody handles them with respect....like me. No loaning. They can buy their own....or watch it with me, which is a much better experience overall.

I never rent. I own.

I rotate older titles in the library for not only enjoyment...but as a "rot" or "delamination" test. I keep an eye on the shelf life of all that $ I've spent.

I refuse to spend any real $ on the library. It is funded 100% through cash tips and bonuses. Well....that has not always worked out like that in the past....but of late it's working. This is why sometimes I'll buy 10 in one week...or just 2. No tips....No dvds. If I were to spend real $ on dvds...I'd have over 5,000 by now...just because I could.

Thats all I can think of right now. But I assure you....I'm so-called anal about much more.

Edited to add:

And then theres all the hours I spend buying and watching. You think that would be enough time spent with the hobby. But no. I have to come into forums like this and TALK about it all in the spare time. No wonder I have no life.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 02-09-05 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-09-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by paulringodaman
I have to keep all advertisements for-ev-er that were included in the case next to the insert.
I do the exact same thing I am glad there are a bunch of freaks out there make me feel better when I know it is not just me!
Old 02-09-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Last night I had a nightmare that I let a friend borrow some of my DVDs, which is against my personal beliefs!! When he returned them, cases were creased and discs were scratched. I woke up and quickly had to assure myself that it was only a dream.

I only wish I were kidding!
Old 02-09-05, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Fok
Before purchasing a DVD I've got compare 3-5 copies, making sure:

1. The cover paper does not go outside of the outer plastic and there are no rips etc.
4. The case has not been opened and the it doesn't look like the store has taped on the outer plastic.

I probably look like a dufus holding 3-5 copies and going over them, but its the way I am.
I've had more than a few people look at me funny cause I was walking through the aisles with 5 copies of the same dvd. All the while shaking and re-shaking just to make sure nothing was loose. Then inspecting each DVD case for any damage. First time my girlfriend saw me she doubled-over laughing cause I went through about 20 Return of the King EE boxes before picking one. Needless to say, I haven't taken her DVD shopping with me since.
Old 02-09-05, 03:26 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now when I buy DVDs with my wife, she lets me choose them as I have to do my quaility control checks, she's also laughing and rolling her eyes as well. Guess some girls don't understand, but that's okay because I'm always around to give her the buying dvds 101.
Old 02-09-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shake test, check.
Check the letter centering on the spine, check.
Remove black security thingie, check.

I also replace most of the "off brand" keepcases with Amarays, and not the Amaray clones either, real Amaray brand. The only keepcases that I have that aren't Amaray are those three hub kind that WB uses, I like those, and the two disc type that WB are using.
Old 02-09-05, 03:34 PM

You guys crack me up and creep me out at the same time. I just don't like my cases being damaged, and i admire my collection at least once a day. That's about it from me, maybe if i had hundreds or thousands i'd be the same.
Old 02-09-05, 03:36 PM
Cool New Member

I'm not sure it would be considered anal, but the varying boxsets of each season of a TV series MUST match. That meaning, I refuse to get one season in R1, and follow it up by getting the next season in R2.

This has left me with the frustrating concept of waiting for Farscape S3 to come down to a reasonable price for R2, and for S4 to be released over here. The PK wars have been repeated to death on Sky One in Britain, but I'm unable to watch it, since I am still stranded at the end of S2.

My friend told me I was anal for not having the later seasons shipped in from the states, and although the wait it painful, there's no way in the world I'll have mismatched sets.

I also keep my collection in Alphabetical order, and plan to separate them by Genre as well. That's just logical really though - else you might spend five weeks looking for one title.
Old 02-09-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Fok
Before purchasing a DVD... making sure:

Why in the hell if so many of us do this, do people look at us as though we got a 'weekend pass' from the state mental hospital?

I am glad to read I am not alone with my purchasing habits.
Old 02-09-05, 03:50 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Originally Posted by gutwrencher
I encase all of my library titles in re-sealable plastic sleeves.
gut...you have plastic sleeves that fit over snappers, Special Editions with digipak, and ones that fit over slipcases?

I have sleeves over just the very rare in my collection (though all single Amaray's, with exception of "Little Shop..." which is a tight fit snapper sleeve)

ps) i love your horror section...vast and varied!
Old 02-09-05, 03:52 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Originally Posted by retihsuhnt
Why in the hell if so many of us do this, do people look at us as though we got a 'weekend pass' from the state mental hospital?

I am glad to read I am not alone with my purchasing habits.
because they just don't understand...
Caffeine
Old 02-09-05, 04:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by matome
Relating to that, I hate when the security stickers along the top/bottom stick to the part of the cover that may be protruding past the plastic, and then peel off the cover art when removed.
When i buy dvd's I make sure that the cover art is not past the plastic part of the dvd or else they'll rip on the security... when i was at bestbuy yesterday i grabbed about 10 malcom se's and people were looking at me like i was crazy
Old 02-09-05, 05:20 PM

gut...you have plastic sleeves that fit over snappers, Special Editions with digipak, and ones that fit over slipcases?
Yes...in that respect, I'm lucky. I have a buddie who has worked for a materials plant for some time. He makes me custom sleeves based on info/cases I give him. I even have one for the Alien Quad box and all my AB tins. There are about a dozen that I have had none made for, yet. Just waitin' until he gets back from his la-di-da 3 week vacation.
Old 02-09-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Some people here are more anal than me, but I've gotta ask- what do you all think of how a lot of new releases are coming with cardboard slipcases that are put OUTSIDE the shrinkwrapped keepcase? This pisses me off to no end and has greatly effected the titles I decide to buy and where I buy them at, since most stores go ahead and stick their price tags (and sometimes anti-theft tags as well) right on the slipcovers! I've been doing a lot more direct ordering so I can get these shipped straight from the distributor and hence nothing stuck on them, or buy at Target which usually doesn't use price tags, even if another store is selling it cheaper.
Why the F*** do they do this???
Old 02-09-05, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
these are my basic rules...

- cover art paper can't be sticking out of the bottom
-all advertisements and packing stuff (excluding plastic wrap) must be inside the case
-all artwork on discs must be right side up in the hubs
-everything has to be alphabetized
-every dvd i buy is included in a giant list on my computer as well as weekly photos taken for insurance purposes in case i get robbed
-noone and I mean noone(including my roomate who lives in the house) may borrow my dvds
-all security tags must be removed
-ill go through every dvd in the store to make sure packaging is free of any marks
Old 02-09-05, 08:05 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts
I cut the white strip sticker with the title from the wrapper and stick it somewhere nice on the packaging. I do this for CDs, too. I'm the master at getting whatever sticker is on the wrapper off, as well, no matter how tough.

My only other DVD policy? Until I get back "North By Northwest" and "Toy Story 1 / 2," both missing for four years to whoever, I will never, ever loan out another DVD again.
Old 02-09-05, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Some people here are more anal than me, but I've gotta ask- what do you all think of how a lot of new releases are coming with cardboard slipcases that are put OUTSIDE the shrinkwrapped keepcase? This pisses me off to no end and has greatly effected the titles I decide to buy ....
It's just not heart-attack worthy for me. It's one of the last things that have ever bothered me. You could look at it as a little added protection. Anyway...I have never had one where the sticker would not come off unless it damaged it. I use a little lighter fluid and it peels right off. It would never effect what to buy or where to buy it.
Old 02-09-05, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not real. Only when I loan them out do I get kinda freaked out.
Old 02-09-05, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A clerk at the customer service counter of Best Buy called me a "Case Nazi" one time. I was exchanging the two-disc special edition of "Pulp Fiction" because one of the discs was badly scuffed up right out of the box. When you exchange a defective DVD at Vest Buy, the clerk will take the shrink wrap off the new DVD so you can't later return it unopened for a refund. This particular clerk thought nothing of picking up a ballpoint pen and using the business end to slice open the shrink wrap on the back of the case, leaving a deep gouge down the center of the cardboard Digipak.

Yeah, I'm a Nazi for insisting I get yet another copy because she tore up the case opening it.
Old 02-10-05, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As long as mine are in order, I'm fine.
Old 02-10-05, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

At the store, I hold the DVD up to the light and check the case and slip cover thoroughly to make sure that there is no cut, dents, or that the heat used to seal the plastic for the price tag to stick on isn't stuck to the slip cover(this mostly happens with Fox DVDs).

If any of my friends or family wants to borrow a movie, I take the disk out of the case and put it in another case that's not in use. I do this because I don't trust anyone messing with the case, cover and any inserts.

I keep all my DVDs grouped by studio. Example: All my Fox DVDs are in one section. Same with Disney, Universal, ect. I don't like keeping them in alphabetical order because every time you get a new one, you have to reposition all your DVDs.

I keep them by actor only what's in each studio section. Example: Fox titles starring Gene Hackman. I have The French Connection, The French Connection 2, Class Action and Behind Enemy Lines. I keep these 4 titles together. All other Hackman movies I keep separate.

Sounds weird but I like to keep all my DVDs in the same style case

Last edited by darkhawk; 02-10-05 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-10-05, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

#1 has got to be buying a new dvd in the store that already has scratches on it. This happens to me about once per week.

The second thing is, especially with FOX releases, when I open the plastic shrinkwrap, some of it is still stuck on the spine of the case. And then you have to go back and tear off little pieces here and there, but they're never completely gone. For some reason, this seems to happen with mostly FOX titles, such as Dodgeball.
Old 02-10-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
#1 has got to be buying a new dvd in the store that already has scratches on it. This happens to me about once per week.

The second thing is, especially with FOX releases, when I open the plastic shrinkwrap, some of it is still stuck on the spine of the case. And then you have to go back and tear off little pieces here and there, but they're never completely gone. For some reason, this seems to happen with mostly FOX titles, such as Dodgeball.
FOX DVDs always has the spine messed up when the heat that they put the shrink wrap around the case, it melts a little of the plastic cover protector to the slip cover and pulls the ink off of it, messing the cover up.
Old 02-10-05, 10:57 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts
I always buy two copies of each DVD - one to open and one to keep sealed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.