Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Gladiator SE News

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-05, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never picked up Gladiator, so I'll most likely bite on this one.
Old 02-09-05, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just to nitpick, I do think they could improve upon the compressioning for the next release; I think it could look slightly better.
Old 02-09-05, 12:31 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm happy with my original 2-disc release. I probably won't upgrade until it goes HD.
Old 02-09-05, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Squirrel God
There has been talk of a Gladiator Director's Cut for a while now, so I think we better all get our double-dipping hands ready ....
Keep in mind, Ridley Scott has shown that he doesn't really consider "Director's Cut" anything more than a marketing term; he says as much on the 'Alien' disc, and has said that the "Director's Cut" of 'Blade Runner' released 10 (or so) years ago was *not* the "Director's Cut", but just an interim thing restoring some of it closer to his vision.

('Legend' is an obvious exception to this.)
Old 02-09-05, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would be interested in this if it was a good extended edition
Old 02-09-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Doesn't he have a movie coming out this summer? Maybe a release of the SE in conjunction with that?
Old 02-09-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by eau
I'm happy with my original 2-disc release.
It actually seems like they made that one OOP and put out just the one-disc just so they could double-dip down the line. I'm gonna skip this one too. I don't even like the movie that much, I bought it for under ten bucks because I knew the two-disc was out of print.
Old 02-09-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love the movie, but the 2 disc edition seems like enough to me.
Old 02-09-05, 12:58 PM
Banned

Unless they throw in an axe or helmet or something, I ain't buy it!
Old 02-09-05, 01:07 PM
Suspended

I'm a big fan of this film and love it more and more with each viewing, but I have to agree, unless it has some awesome extended edition, you won't get me double dipping. This is already a great set.

As far as a new Blade Runner special edition??? How many versions is this guy going to make?? I swear I have seen 3 different versions so far in the theater in various re-releases and the film still doesn't get any better. I really don't see the attraction of this film no matter how hard I try and like it.
Old 02-09-05, 02:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Crow331
I swear I have seen 3 different versions so far in the theater in various re-releases and the film still doesn't get any better.
Really? Huh. Interesting.

Because there have only been 2 different versions released to US theaters.
Old 02-09-05, 02:42 PM
Suspended

Yes ... there was the theatrical cut ... there was the director's cut ... and then there was ANOTHER director's cut a year or two ago that was screened here in L.A. at the Egyptian Theater for a Ridley Scott film retrospective where Ridley Scott appeared in-person. I believe this was the only place this new director's cut was screened, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe that is the "new" director's cut that is coming to dvd.

EDIT:

I dug up this from Ain't-It-Cool-News from someone who was at the same screening I was at ... apparently it was a workprint.

"Blade Runner-The Director's Cut," which is part of the American Cinematheque's tribute to Ridley Scott. The Cinematheque is, I'm sure you know but others may not, based out of the beautiful Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood. Besides seeing the film in it's widescreen splendor on a giant screen, the man himself Ridley Scott will be present for post Q&A. How cool is that? Pretty damn cool if you ask me. The print shown was supposed to be the work-print from 1991, that one contains footage that was not in either the original or director's cut of 1992. The print we were about to watch was newly printed by Warner Bros. from the original negative, was completely supervised and worked on by Ridley Scott just days ago, and has only been viewed by Ridley Scott. We were the first to see it in public.

This info also came from the same screening for those interested ...

"Yes, there will be a new and final cut of "Blade Runner" to be released next year in a collector's DVD set. It may be a two disc set. Footage will be restored and it will be released for the first time in Dolby Digital. He didn't say when it would come out but it is next year.

Also, later this year or sometime early next year, we will finally see the director's cut of "Legend" with half an hour of footage restored to the film. He is either referring to the DVD that is due later this year or a brief rerelease next year. "

Last edited by Crow331; 02-09-05 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-09-05, 03:07 PM
Banned

Did it end up being the workprint? Very few people have seen that. luckily i have it on VHS
Old 02-09-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought when they showed this on tv a while ago they had an extended cut.
Old 02-10-05, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
The 2-disc set I have with DTS-ES is enough now. I'll wait to see what the next gen disc has to offer when they release it.
Old 02-10-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I will probably pick it up since i dont have the other dvd but
am I the only one that thought this movie was Overrated? its a good movie but I thought Troy was more entertaning as historical movies go.

people seem to easy on Russel Crowe. since Master & commander was nominated for best picture but it was another boring movie. very accuate but nothing really happens in the movie
Old 02-10-05, 10:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by maingon
am I the only one that thought this movie was Overrated? its a good movie but I thought Troy was more entertaning as historical movies go.

people seem to easy on Russel Crowe. since Master & commander was nominated for best picture but it was another boring movie. very accuate but nothing really happens in the movie
Old 02-10-05, 02:43 PM

I have the current 2 disc SE and the transfer is great as is the audio. I've had the disc for two years now and have yet to watch the special features so unless this new version has a stellar extended cut then I won't buy.
Old 02-10-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by maingon

Quite a few users on these forums have voiced their negative opinions on Gladiator; especially concerning it's Academy awards. So no, you're not alone. I personally love it though.
Old 02-10-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like Gladiator. I think its a very well done movie, though looking back I would have given Best Picture to Traffic to that year. As for Master & Commander that movie I absolutely love and should have won Best Picture if not for those silly hobbits. Russell Crowe knows how to pick projects pretty damn well.
Old 02-10-05, 03:30 PM

if it only had the new features i wouldnt care but hearing of a possible extended edition will cause me to double dip on this one!
Old 02-10-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since I've only seen the Signature Series that I own once, and I'm not likely to ever watch it again, I doubt I'll double dip on this one.

Stew
Old 02-10-05, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, I have the two disc special edition from when it first came out. It's got great sound, picture quality is good enough for me, and yeah, unless the packaging is sick, I won't be picking this movie up again. I thought it got pretty darn good treatment the first time around.
Old 02-12-05, 03:53 AM
Banned

They said they were making a sequal, so all it may be is previews of the upcoming movie sequal. You guys know like they did to the AMERICAN PIE movies.
Old 02-12-05, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I decided awhile ago that I won't rebuy any titles I have until blue ray comes out. This is no exception. I can't think of anything else they could add to make me want to rebuy a special special edition.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.